Missed chances on the CL

jaapv

Ah - auto-zoom. :) That is a good reason to get this adapter!

I can see the price of this lens going up.

Jaap, 

Do you still have your 80-200R? I recall you had the same fault as mine, a loose and floppy focus ring and you recommended I send mine to Will van Manen for repair, which I did. 

Wilson

I didn't know that the CL has an auto-zoom when focusing feature! How do they implement it? Is there a cam to detect focus ring movement? Even the SL can't auto-zoom. This would be a killer feature in my view. 

Keith,

I assume it must be linked into the ROM chip in the lens, so would only work with the late ROM R lenses. The ROM chip also communicates focal length to the camera and maybe aperture as well. Maybe it is something Leica can implement on the SL with a firmware update.

Wilson

Edited by wlaidlaw

Jaap, 

Do you still have your 80-200R? I recall you had the same fault as mine, a loose and floppy focus ring and you recommended I send mine to Will van Manen for repair, which I did. 

Wilson

That is right, Wilson There is a fork transferringj the movement of the ring to the lens mechanism which can work loose. Another thing is that this lens, like all old zoom lenses, is very likely to need a "window cleaning" to display its full potential.

That is right, Wilson There is a fork transferringj the movement of the ring to the lens mechanism which can work loose. Another thing is that this lens, like all old zoom lenses, is very likely to need a "window cleaning" to display its full potential.

My one had obviously been owned by a heavy smoker, as it smelt like an old ashtray. Even the white lettering on the outside of the lens was nicotine stained - all now cleaned inside and out. The performance improved more than any other lens I have had cleaned, although I am hoping for great things from my 5cm/f1.5 LTM Summarit, where you can see the yellowish oil film on the inner surfaces. It is going off to Malcolm Taylor after Xmas. 

Wilson