Missed chances on the CL

jaapv

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If the CL were my 1st camera, I would demand much more out of it, starting with a better selection of glass.

As it stands though, it serves as my 4th camera and thus I'm more lenient of it's lack of features.

Better selection of lenses? (how I hate the word "glass" for "lens...   ;) ) You must be joking. Seven dedicated lenses, the SL lenses, plus the full range of M lenses. :rolleyes:  R lenses if you like. And anything else you can adapt - meaning thousands of other brand lenses.

• Like 1

Better selection of lenses? (how I hate the word "glass" for "lens...   ;) ) You must be joking. Seven dedicated lenses, the SL lenses, plus the full range of M lenses. :rolleyes:  R lenses if you like. And anything else you can adapt - meaning thousands of other brand lenses.

Well the M "glass" ;) are manual focus and the SL "glass" are impractical due to their size.

I'm talking native T/TL lenses. I think that's what people usually refer to when talking about lens selection.

If you feel 7 native lenses are enough more power to you. My photography requires fast zooms and fast primes with AF. And no, I'm not joking.

Not the way this camera is positioned. It is at the centre of various Leica systems, with dedicated adapters for M and R, shared mount with the SL. I am a bit puzzled about your remark about "needing" fast zooms and primes with AF. That would require a heavy and bulky DSLR system in real life, or ART and OTUS lenses,  yet you gripe about the bulk of SL lenses.

• Like 3

I'm not sure why you're having a hard time understanding that M/R/SL lenses are not native lenses. Just because you can physically mount A-mount and FE-mount lenses to a A6000 doesn't mean that camera is at "the centre of Sony systems." All it means to most photographers is that the APS-C E-mount lens selection is poor and they'd have to resort to adapted lenses.

As I posted above, I need fast AF zooms and AF primes from my primary system. I currently use a Fuji X-T2 to cover those needs. Lenses like the 56/1.2 and 50-140/2.8 are both rather small and light so I'm still not sure why you think I'm joking.

Edited by Mr.Q
  • Like 1

I fully agree with this.

If Leica wants to make the SL and the CL/TL2 systems successful they need to get more native lenses out there.  It is a simple as that...  

I believe Leica's lens line-up up till now is carefully and very sensibly chosen: 3 zooms, 2 walkaround travel lenses and 2 faster larger reference lenses.  

IMO you need all of the above to make a system successful.  It just needs to be further extended.

About the zooms, not sure whether they necessarily need to be fast, but OIS would certainly be very helpful. 

I would buy a new OIS version of the 18-55 in a heartbeat.  I would prefer it to be slightly faster as well, say f2.8-4. Very similar to the 24-90 on the SL.  

• Like 2

Having said that, I struggle to understand why the 18-55 is a slow f/3.5 - 5.6 when Fuji has a constant f/2.8 lens in its lineup. 

Additionally 8 out of 9 Fuji zooms have OIS...

I fully agree with this.

If Leica wants to make the SL and the CL/TL2 systems successful they need to get more native lenses out there.  It is a simple as that...  

I believe Leica's lens line-up up till now is carefully and very sensibly chosen: 3 zooms, 2 walkaround travel lenses and 2 faster larger reference lenses.  

IMO you need all of the above to make a system successful.  It just needs to be further extended.

About the zooms, not sure whether they necessarily need to be fast, but OIS would certainly be very helpful. 

I would buy a new OIS version of the 18-55 in a heartbeat.  I would prefer it to be slightly faster as well, say f2.8-4. Very similar to the 24-90 on the SL.  

Carefully chosen and expanding; I suspect that it will accelerate with a successful CL.

• Like 1

This should have been a greater collaboration between Leica and Panasonic as far as lenses go lets be fair to Leica it is a cost size aspect that comes into play. Fuji have gone down to f2 prime lenses from f1.4 though they do have a constant f2.8 zoom

Edited by imants