How often do you run into other Leica users?

Keith_W

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Quite often. 

Today I ran into one in the office; he is an M10 user. 

I ran into two forum members in the office too, over the years. 

In the streets; I see at least one Leica every 2 months in my small town. But it is an exceptional town and has two Leica boutiques, despite a small population (250,000). 

In NYC, it's rare but not unheard of.  Usually I see people with Leica M's (I've seen an M8, M6, and either an M-A or an M3).  Nobody seems to recognize the Leicaflexes as Leicas though.  One woman at the swatch store did see it and said "SWEET CAMERA!"

I did once take my Leicaflex Standard to the Lomography Store in Greenwich Village.... magically EVERYONE recognized it (and gave the camera looks of WTF?!)

Seen Leica cameras in Bangkok and Taiwan, in the hands of obviously well off locals. I also see Leica cameras in Moscow, on the tourists from China. Two days ago I saw a group of Chinese tourists shooting the murals in the Moscow Metro and a young man had his Leica M around his neck.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

here are 2 times i actually took a candid of people with a Leica

the guy is "fully loaded" ;)

the lady was snapping away..her husband had a huge Nikon

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by frame-it
  • Like 2

I think you ought to get extra points for seeing a film Leica.

Having one's own Leica spotted is often an interesting occasion. I find the M2 is recognised more than a M-A. I have only just had a new (to me) FIII repaired. It will be interesting to see how recognisable that proves to be. It is such a dinky little camera that it will probably pass as a compact (which in a way it is.)

I once saw Ian Berry. I recognised his battered Leicas. I think these  must have been the photographs he was taking. He was very gracious spotting my camera. I'm afraid my pictures were nowhere as good as his.

https://pro.magnumphotos.com/C.aspx?VP3=DynamicPageGeneration&OriginalURL=Catalogue%2FIan-Berry%2F2002%2FGB-ENGLAND-London-The-Countryside-March-2002-NN163130.html&FRM=SubHeaderFrame%3AMAGO31_13

Edited by Beresford

Out where we retired a couple of years ago, I never see another Leica user. When I am walking on main street I am usually carrying my M10 and no one has ever stopped me and asked about my camera. Our small town can be very busy on the weekends with tourist coming to tour the wineries. I have seen a lot of cameras but no Leica.

I've run into a couple of other Leica owners in the last few months. I saw a woman carrying an M6 in a small camera shop in San Francisco and I saw an older gentleman carrying an M10 at the MoMA in San Francisco. But mostly I see huge DSLRs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think I've seen one amateur photographer (at Occupy Philadelphia several years ago) with an M6, and I know a pro who was using an M8 for awhile. 

Otherwise you don't see too many people using a Leica; or brand of any other camera either, except smartphone cameras.

Honestly, I think I have seen more Rolls Royce's than Leica cameras on these shores.

Back in the days of film I was on a visit to the Vatican as a tourist when I spotted another Leica user with a M6 (just like mine) and felt compelled to say hello. He was a photographer to the Pope on his lunch break (the photographer, not the Pope) and said he used a Leica for a lot of his work because he could get in close without the shutter noise being heard. This, he said, was very important during meetings and religious ceremonies. He used everything up to 10" x 8" (25 x 20cm) for studio work photographing art etc. but said his favourite of all was his Leica M6.

Gerry

I like this thread! I met quite a few people using Leicas - e.q. in Shanghai in M60 Art Center (M8), in Sydney (R7) , in NY (M6), Galgary (M9) . The most iconic situation happened to me and my wife when visiting Firence/Italy in 1979 and there the Galeria degli Uffici. Using the balcony to make some pictures from Piazza Vecchio we were surrounded by 4 Japanese tourists and all were using M4s. When they recognized me with my M2 we had a very nice time to explain each other why we like Leica with "hands and feets ".

i saw 4 rich teenage girls with M's yesterday..and one of the girls mom had a leica digital M [i don't know the model], with canon 50mm LTM mounted on it.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by frame-it
  • Like 1