How often do you run into other Leica users?

Keith_W

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have just returned from a month long holiday in some of the best known tourism spots in Germany and Austria. Naturally, as a keen hobby photographer, I was paying attention to what cameras my fellow tourists were using. I did not take an actual count, but these are my impressions: 

- 40% were using smartphone cameras

- 20% were using APS-C or MFT interchangeable lens cameras

- 20% were using a DSLR with what seems to be an equal split between Canon, Nikon, and Sony. 

- 10% were using compact digital cameras. 

How many Leica's did I spot? A grand total of FOUR. One was a gent with an M-P, and the other three were ladies (one M8, one M9, and one M240). 

I would have expected to run into more Leica users after a month travelling in some of Europe's tourism hotspots. Mind you, most of my observations were done in palaces like Schonbrunn or Hohensalzburg or Neuschwanstein where close to 100% of people there are tourists (as opposed to walking down the streets of Berlin, where maybe 2-3% are tourists). 

How often do you run across other Leica users in the wild? 

I have seen one Leica photographer on the street in 2016. It was French tourist with silver M6 in Toronto. I never seen M6 before and asked if it was Zeiss camera.

This year, I have seen one Leica photographer in Central Park, Manhattan . With black M6.  

This is it so far...

Where I'm some will bother to take picture on mobile, just because it is their kid. Those who are into photography more and whom I see outside of my house are with DSLRs of all kinds mostly.

Our elder daughter is paid photographer, using DSLR and I would never recommend Leica to her as the tool. Where is no service for Leica where we are, but for DSLRs...  

From what I am seeing, it is over 90% phone users, with DSLRs/EVF cameras at about 5-8% and the rest various types. I rarely see other Leica users. Occasionally, a person will ask me about my camera and generally it is older people who recognise a Leica.

If you don't believe my figures, look at the second chart on this.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/9398648371/2016-cipa-data-shows-compact-digital-camera-sales-lower-than-ever

In my experience, so-called compact cameras are even more rare now than this chart shows.

William

Very few active Leica users. I do get comments from older folk who mention how they used to use Leica in the 1950s or so. One brought me his old cameras (Ic, IIIf BD, IIIf RD, M3 DS, and a few lenses) stored in his attic for years, mostly not working. Although he offered to give them, I bought them for a fair price, and have gradually gotten them working again with new curtains, etc.

I used to see Leica users in the 1980s, but very rare now.

• Like 2

I have seen one Leica photographer on the street in 2016. It was French tourist with silver M6 in Toronto. I never seen M6 before and asked if it was Zeiss camera.

This year, I have seen one Leica photographer in Central Park, Manhattan . With black M6.  

This is it so far...

Where I'm some will bother to take picture on mobile, just because it is their kid. Those who are into photography more and whom I see outside of my house are with DSLRs of all kinds mostly.

Our elder daughter is paid photographer, using DSLR and I would never recommend Leica to her as the tool. Where is no service for Leica where we are, but for DSLRs...  

Hello Ko.Fe.,

For many years the Leitz distributor in Canada was a Company called KINDERMAN which was either in or near Toronto. Even though the Leitz Plant was in Midland.

I have never used Kinderman personally. They have always had a good reputation. As far as I know, they did pretty much of everything . At least with Film Cameras.

If Toronto & that area are close enough for you: You might look & see if they are still there. I think that they also did Linhof Cameras.

There used to be a person there named "Gerry". 

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht

I think I can count the number of Leicas I've seen in the wild on the fingers of one hand.

Ref other brands. A married friend, who likes my photography (I took some portraits of her, and she paid me to photograph her grandchildren), asked my advice on buying a new camera, on a certain budget. I showed her the Olympus EM5ii, which she was very attracted to, and I suggested she look at Olympus, Panasonic and Fuji. Sadly her husband had a bigger influence than me, and she got a clunky Canon DSLR APSC kit - it looks too big in her hands, the zoom lens is not the best, and she seems intimidated by it. About 5 years ago on another forum I predicted another decade of life for the traditional DSLR, but I may have underestimated the power of conventional wisdom. :wacko: 

Edited by LocalHero1953

I would have expected to run into more Leica users after a month travelling in some of Europe's tourism hotspots. Mind you, most of my observations were done in palaces like Schonbrunn or Hohensalzburg or Neuschwanstein where close to 100% of people there are tourists (as opposed to walking down the streets of Berlin, where maybe 2-3% are tourists). 

How often do you run across other Leica users in the wild? 

Leica photographers are very shy people and known for their discretion, which often led them to this camera brand. :)
They have already visited such tourist highlights as Neuschwanstein, Eiffel Tower, London Bridge or Venice at their younger age when they still couldn't afford Leica.
On many city tours in Europe I have rarely seen other Leicas.
During my hikes through the Alps I never really saw another Leica.
But sometimes Leica friends arrange for joint photo tours here on this forum.
We would be very happy to welcome you.

P.S.: On several multi-week trips through the Rocky Mountains, I also saw no Leicas as well as in Yellowstone, Grand Valley or other national parks.
Nor did I see other Leica photographers in towns like Los Angeles, Dallas, Denver, San Diego, Sacramento, Vancouver, Seatle or Washington D.C.
Only in San Francisco a Gripman recognized my Leica and yelled through his cable car: "Eh, man - an M3."
At the terminus he gave me tips to find local stores for used Leica cameras and lenses.
So I got an old Tele-Elmar 4.0-135mm for photographing the Golden Gate Bridge right that evening, where many tourists shot their photos with anything but Leica.

Just as I thought, not very many Leica users out in the wild. 

A few people did recognize my Leica. You guys were correct - they were all older gentlemen. They were surprised that Leica was still in business and making digital cameras now. They thought it would be a film camera. 

One Russian gent handed me his monster Canon and asked me to take a picture for him. After I handed it back, he looked at my camera and said, "Fuji?". So much for Leica users covering up their logos with black tape. Mine was uncovered with the red dot prominent for all to see, and even keen amateurs still thought it was a Fuji. 

mnutzer I would love to attend a Leica forum tour! It's a bit difficult for me, given that I have to work and i'm stuck in Australia ... but let me know. 

• Like 1

mnutzer I would love to attend a Leica forum tour! It's a bit difficult for me, given that I have to work and i'm stuck in Australia ... but let me know. 

We may have another Leica meet next year following last year in Melbourne. I'd suggested Newcastle.

• Like 1

I see Leica-M cameras a few times a year - NOT including the photo festivals I go to. Even at these events Leicas are scarce on the ground.

I saw a woman with a Leica M in the Himalaya in late spring but could not cross over to her to ask any questions. Her traveling partner did spot my M10 and I saw her nudge the woman with the Leica and point to me. The Leica-toting shooter (looked German to me from her dress) simply gave me a bored look.

Until a few years ago, when I saw a guy with a Leica he was almost always over 65 years old. Now, when I see a guys with Leicas they are usually under 40 (or they look it to me.) This squares with my observation at fine dining places where I see younger folks eating when I could not have afforded to eat in such places myself in my 20s (or chose to use my money for other things - like a Leica film camera!

Because I am partial to chrome Leicas and chrome/silver lenses, and I use an Italian brown leather half-case, most people ask if I am using a vintage camera, offering something along the lines of, "Oh, how quaint!" Younger people usually just pass by giving a Thumbs Up gesture and saying, "Film. Cool!"

in south east asia/HK/Taiwan...1-2 people almost everyday..usually M models and a lot of Q's.

I'm in South-East Asia at the moment (Kuala Lumpur and Singapore) on a stopover back to Melbourne. I have seen zero Leica's on the street. And I hang out where the tourists typically hang out!

Talking about Leica M? Well, one per travel, which is about one per year, would be an overstatement I think. And then running into is even more seldom than seeing someone passing by and in hindsight realizing that he/she wore some M. In april this year I met a guy on the Chiang Mai airport, who was so keen to recognize that I already had an M10. Perhaps because it is quite seldom to 'run into' a Leica-user we felt it special enough to make this mutual portrait. 

I wonder if he's a LUF-member... Hello...? If you are here, can you please stand up?

And how often do you run into LUF-members? 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by otto.f
  • Like 1