Disapointed that the Noctilux doesnt work very well on the TL2

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Pop I never was good at lunges at school..............in fact I wasnt really any good a anything at school except sawing off the legs of the woodwork bench when told to stay behind and sweep the floor of the woodwork classroom because I pissed the teacher off...................

Neil

Don't worry, those legs were way too long, and the way the table moves with four uneven legs is much more interesting.

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Don't worry, those legs were way too long, and the way the table moves with four uneven legs is much more interesting.

I was 12 years old then Pop................funny how I can remember that but not remember who I was meant to call back just 15 minutes ago

Neil

Please do not blame Neil for failing to understand your splendidly written post. I'm afraid your post might not be all that easy to understand for people not familiar with German and your at times peculiar use of it.

@Pop, no problem, I'll probably amuse myself discretely about similar posts, but stop responding.
Those who have enough play money may waste it as they wish, but shouldn't complain afterwards.
Normally non-native speakers are also encountered in this international forum section with the same selected courtesy, as we have to practice in the German-speaking forum because of the complexity of the German language.
Who does not heed this perhaps might not be happy in the long term with products from medium-sized German manufacturers.
And my English-language contributions have been tested several times for their comprehensibility before publication with the help of mutual translation tools.

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

@Pop, no problem, I'll probably amuse myself discretely about similar posts, but stop responding.

Those who have enough play money may waste it as they wish, but shouldn't complain afterwards.

Normally non-native speakers are also encountered in this international forum section with the same selected courtesy, as we have to practice in the German-speaking forum because of the complexity of the German language.

Who does not heed this perhaps might not be happy in the long term with products from medium-sized German manufacturers.

And my English-language contributions have been tested several times for their comprehensibility before publication with the help of mutual translation tools.

nigel

The TL2 is amazing with Nieves lenses, it just doesn’t hit all the spots with my noctilux,it sertilily wasn’t a waist of money I still have it and use it on a daily basis

Chill bro Nigel .............. I can still as always take and post amazing pictures with any combination of camera and lens it’s just a case of practice makes perfect

Neil

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Neil, there are only e Noctiluxes at the moment - all 50s. F/1.2, f/1 & f/0.95

Then there was the 75/1.25. That’s it.

Do you remember Ted Turner? America’s Cup challenger, founder of CNN & husband of Jane Fonda (of Barbarella fame - no, it’s not a book)? Anyway, he famously once said “If I had humility, I’d be perfect”

Gotta love irony. I’m pleased you like your own photos.

• Like 1

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Do you remember Ted Turner? America’s Cup challenger, founder of CNN & husband of Jane Fonda (of Barbarella fame - no, it’s not a book)? Anyway, he famously once said “If I had humility, I’d be perfect”

Hi John

Yes I know about all the noctuluxs mine is the 0.95 one

Yes I’ve also heard of Jane Fondue and CNN. But as for the rest of the big words I have no idea what they mean.

Glad you like my pictures......... I like them two

Neil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neil,

The TL2 is great with many lenses, as you said. The 90-280 SL zoom is a silly, but wonderful match - stabilized, long reach. True, it doesn't keep the look of FF large aperture lenses, and that sucks.

A TL2 with 11-23 and 35/1.4 is the best walk around kit I've ever had. Of course, an S with 24 and 70 is an even better walk around kit, but if I'm carrying anything else, the combination gets heavy.

I've wanted to say this for some time now: When I first came on these forums, I thought you were a troll. But then I saw your photography, your sense of humor, and your treatment of gear as just gear and not holy relics. Now I think you have the right attitude and anyone who gets bent out of shape by your language or purchases needs a serious attitude adjustment.

Carry on!

Matt

• Like 2

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Neil,

The TL2 is great with many lenses, as you said. The 90-280 SL zoom is a silly, but wonderful match - stabilized, long reach. True, it doesn't keep the look of FF large aperture lenses, and that sucks.

A TL2 with 11-23 and 35/1.4 is the best walk around kit I've ever had. Of course, an S with 24 and 70 is an even better walk around kit, but if I'm carrying anything else, the combination gets heavy.

I've wanted to say this for some time now: When I first came on these forums, I thought you were a troll. But then I saw your photography, your sense of humor, and your treatment of gear as just gear and not holy relics. Now I think you have the right attitude and anyone who gets bent out of shape by your language or purchases needs a serious attitude adjustment.

Carry on!

Matt

Matt

I have both those TL lenses and like them very much especially the 35mm Lux.........................Theres a bunch of good hearted guys on here and as always with places like this there's a bunch of w%$^$%S..........The latter I take with a pinch of salt,  the first bunch are like Ive already said,  a good bunch of guys with a similar sense of homer

Neil

• Like 1

Actually Barbarella is a book, a comic book on which the movie is based, but I digress.

• Like 1

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

TL2 with TL35mm summerlux

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

When I bought my TL2 it was to replace the SL that I just bought to use with my Noctilux..................The SL was great with the Noctilux but the size of the SL was just to big and clumsy so I decided to get rid of the SL and get the TL2 (Mistake). Don't get me wrong the TL2 with naïve lenses is fabulous but with the Noctilux it sucks..............I guess its got something to do with flange distance or orientation but you just don't get the beatifull squirly bits that I could get when using the SL and m bodies

neil

Funny, I would not consider my Noctilux as reason to get a TL2, to be lighter and smaller. Massive lens on a small cropped camera, where most of the weight of the lens isn’t even utilized. I do use my 35mm M lenses on my T and very pleased, but my Noctilux is just too darn heavy for regular use on this camera, besides the crop factor. Perhaps Leica will come out with a TL Noctilux! That would be very cool.

Matching the 50/1 look on the TL would require something like a 35/0.67. Even a 35/1 would have the general look of a 50 Lux on an M. The 35/1.4 on the TL2 is almost indistinguishable from a 50 Cron on the SL. I've done tests:

35 Lux on TL2

37781086651_11e4241cab_b.jpg

50 Cron on SL

37781087381_9765705aa3_b.jpg

I think your best bet now is the Voigtlander 40/1.2, which would draw like a 60/1.8. Pretty good for a small sensor!

Best,

Matt

PS. Bonus points to anyone who recognizes the score on the piano. Super extra bonus points to anyone who's played it. :)

Edited by mgrayson3
  • Like 2

Matching the 50/1 look on the TL would require something like a 35/0.67. Even a 35/1 would have the general look of a 50 Lux on an M. The 35/1.4 on the TL2 is almost indistinguishable from a 50 Cron on the SL. I've done tests:

35 Lux on TL2

50 Cron on SL

I think your best bet now is the Voigtlander 40/1.2, which would draw like a 60/1.8. Pretty good for a small sensor!

Best,

Matt

PS. Bonus points to anyone who recognizes the score on the piano. Super extra bonus points to anyone who's played it. :)

Thanks for that. Very interesting. May I ask, which 50 Summicron on the SL?

35 Lux on TL2

50 Cron on SL

Best,

Matt

Conlon Nancarrow’s Study for Player Piano Nr 33?

My 50 Cron is the pre-APO. It has the slide out lens hood. I had the pre-ASPH 50 Lux, but never found it worth the extra weight. Fortunately, I've never tried the 50 APO, or I'd be out another $5,500  :) When I sold off all my M gear, I kept the 50 Lux version 2 (for its ancient rendering and it was very inexpensive), the 50 Cron, and the 75 Cron. 

Matt

Edited by mgrayson3
  • Like 1

My 50 Cron is the pre-APO. It has the slide out lens hood. I had the pre-ASPH 50 Lux, but never found it worth the extra weight. Fortunately, I've never tried the 50 APO, or I'd be out another $5,500  :) When I sold off all my M gear, I kept the 50 Lux version 2 (for its ancient rendering and it was very inexpensive), the 50 Cron, and the 75 Cron. 

Matt

Thanks! My 50 Summicron is v4, basicly same except doesn’t have slide out lens hood, and my fav overall lens on monochrome M. Not tempted on the APO version, thankfully, even after sampling. Am getting off topic, but also have R version and is identical in quality and rendering for fraction of the cost.
  • Like 1

... don‘t waste your time