Macro options

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am quite smitten with the little CL and very much enjoying using it. 

Unfortunatley the S Adapter L is not compatible, so I can't use the APO-Macro-Summarit-S 120 with it. (Not sure if it works with other S lenses, as this is the only one I own.) 

I'm intrigued by the APO-Macro-Elmarit-TL 60. I love the idea of a relatively compact macro lens that render 1:1. If anyone tried it with one or more of the CL,TL or SL and could share their thoughts I would be grateful. 

Alistair 

I am quite smitten with the little CL and very much enjoying using it. 

Unfortunatley the S Adapter L is not compatible, so I can't use the APO-Macro-Summarit-S 120 with it. (Not sure if it works with other S lenses, as this is the only one I own.) 

I'm intrigued by the APO-Macro-Elmarit-TL 60. I love the idea of a relatively compact macro lens that render 1:1. If anyone tried it with one or more of the CL,TL or SL and could share their thoughts I would be grateful. 

Alistair 

Not your main point, but I can confirm that the S-lenses with the S Adapter L are incompatible with the CL (as well with TL2).

• Like 1

I have never seen the point when add-on macro lens/adapters like the exceptionally good Marumi's do the same job and can be added to existing lenses in seconds. The Apo 100 R is fantastic, but just too much to carry about on the off chance you need it for a close up shot. 

• Like 3

I find the 60TL more than acceptable: a short telephoto and macro without the need for a macro adapter*, compact for carrying around, and excellent IQ. I've posted images in other threads, mainly TL-related. AF is a bonus if you want to use it for macro.

One downside is learning how it deals with the long focal range: it essentially treats macro as a separate range to normal distances. Manually, you have to turn the focus ring a long way to get down to macro and vice versa. In AF, you can tell the camera to operate in one range or the other for speed, or to operate across the full macro-infinity range, which is versatile but slower. Once you've worked this out, it's easy to manage: I may set up a specific 60mm macro user profile on the CL.

* I use a Marumi on the SL zoom, but it is quite a big lump of glass to carry around on the off chance. One for a M lens on the TL would be much smaller, of course.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1

The TL 60 2.8 macro renders similarly to the 35 1.4 TL, which is a real compliment. It is very nicely built about the size of the 35 1.4 TL, but lighter in weight.

Very happy with it on the TL2, though AF hunts in low light. From some comments on the forum, it apparently locks focus much better on the CL.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

So there is no Macro setting on the CL like the Q?

No - any form of macro on the CL has to be part of the lens attached to the body. So only lenses with macro capabilities, or lenses with bellows, tubes or close-up filter, will give macro on the CL. The good thing, though, is that the electronic viewfinder transfers the signal from the sensor, so composition, focus and depth-of-field can be judged on-the-fly.

I have never seen the point when add-on macro lens/adapters like the exceptionally good Marumi's do the same job and can be added to existing lenses in seconds. The Apo 100 R is fantastic, but just too much to carry about on the off chance you need it for a close up shot. 

The 60 TL was (apparently) designed with the spirit of the APO 100 in mind . . and i my opinion it comes up to scratch - I think it's a wonderful lens.

• Like 3

Would you mind telling me a bit more about this?  Many thanks and Merry Christmas!!

Macro is a function of the lens, not of the camera. So if you attach a lens with macro capabilities, the EVF will show you the image it will get you.

• Like 1

Alistair

The short answer is that the 60mm macro is an amazingly good lens and fast performing on the CL. Not great photography, but I did a quick test while sitting at the kitchen counter and the lens focused on the knife with no hunting and at very close range (transferred via an iPad)

- Vikas

Edited by vikasmg
  • Like 2

Since I have it, I'd use the Macro-Elmarit-R 60mm f/2.8 for macro up to 1:2 and the matching Macro-Adapter-R ring for 1:2 to 1:1 range. I use this lens as my "all around" lens on the SL now: It's light, reasonably compact, and produces beautiful rendering qualities. Manual focus only, of course, but for me that's a "who cares?" situation.

Since I have it, I'd use the Macro-Elmarit-R 60mm f/2.8 for macro up to 1:2 and the matching Macro-Adapter-R ring for 1:2 to 1:1 range. I use this lens as my "all around" lens on the SL now: It's light, reasonably compact, and produces beautiful rendering qualities. Manual focus only, of course, but for me that's a "who cares?" situation.

I have both the 60mm and 100mm R Macros and love them both...but the 60mm is used regularly. It is an exceptional lens.

• Like 1

Thank you all for sharing your experiences. I picked up the 60 today. 

A few quick snaps in the backyard at home and I am very happy so far. In keeping with the "CL philosophy" it packs a very high quality lens into a small package. 

Attached a quick handheld shot and also a crop from the same shot. ISO1250. No doubt that with proper care this thing could produce razor sharp results. 

• Like 2

Also seems to be a more than respectable short telephoto portrait lens... again just a snap and the lens is so sharp you can see yours truly reflecting in the dog's eye.

I'm off to Japan tomorrow and this will replace the 50 APO Summicron and 75mm APO Summicron in my kit. I do love having a macro lens that focusses to infinity and doesn't require accessory lenses or adapters. 

• Like 3

And apologies for any confusion... the 60 I picked up was an APO-Macro-Elmarit-TL 60.

No need to apologize. Confusion, if any, comes from us discussing about the Macro-Elmarit-R 60/2.8 which is a great FF lens for Leica R cameras. Serious competitor for the TL lens i guess but it is has no AF and requires an adapter.

• Like 1