Battery Life

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Strangely enough they work just fine with the Nikon 343 module...

With the SCA3502 V.5 on the MZ44, you could not alter the flash power (EV compensation) on the M8. I queried this with Metz and they said "oh you need to get the latest 54-MZ3 for that to work." I did and it still didn't work. I had a "brisk discussion" at the Metz stand at Focus on Imaging, leaving my 54 and 3502 with them. I later received a complete refund from Intro 20-20, the UK agents and waited for the SF58 to come out. I wish that modern flashes used rechargeable replaceable lithium batteries, like the rest of the electronic world has moved to. So much easier than fiddling around with 4 x AA batteries and a recalcitrant battery cover on the 58. Even the SF24D will not work on rechargeable RCR123A batteries, as their slightly higher voltage trips the safety circuit. Luckily my Motor-M is not as fussy and the pair I bought for the SF24, work perfectly in that. 

Wilson

Edited by wlaidlaw

Of course I know most brands do not produce their batteries. But these brands order batteries from asian manufacturers based on their regional specifications (ie : US or EU standards). Batteries are then produced, tested to follow these regulations. All in all, the branded battery will just reflect that. An non branded battery will not necessarily provide the same standard. It can turn to be as safe as the branded one...or just unsafe. Lithium batteries are too touchy. Bad luck happens...and I don't want to provoke bad luck just to save 50 usd when my equipment costs about 10K...

Of course I am not saying there never are problems with branded one.

Best

Has anyone come across a good holder/pouch for a couple of spare CL type batteries? I use a Think Tank size 2, 2 battery pouch for my SL batteries but this is a bit large for the CL batteries. I assume since this is size 2, they must do a smaller one but Amazon don't sell it. 

Wilson

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Has anyone come across a good holder/pouch for a couple of spare CL type batteries? I use a Think Tank size 2, 2 battery pouch for my SL batteries but this is a bit large for the CL batteries. I assume since this is size 2, they must do a smaller one but Amazon don't sell it. 

Wilson

I use a ZING small neoprene pouch. Holds a travel charger and 2 batteries in a very compact case.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Ive used Wasabi on my Q and they were excellent. I just ordered three DOT-01 batteries with a travel charger for $30...I'll post my experience.

Ive tested the DOT-01 batts and find them to be less than ideal. They have a shorter life than OEM.

Im going to test Wasabi next. Ive used them on my Q and found they lasted longer than the OEM batteries. Hopefully, they will perform the same on the CL

Wilson

Mindshift do a whole range of small cases which are useful for accessories ..... most are designed with GoPro bits in mind, but do work well for conventional photography bits and pieces, 

• Like 1

I have found a better battery pouch than the Think Tank DSL Pouch #2 I was using. This had nylon non stretchy pockets and the CL batteries were quite loose in the pouch. I have found one marketed in Europe under the Tenba label and Acuvar in the USA. It has neoprene stretchy pockets. They were still a bit big, so I have fixed in some firm foam blocks with double-sided sticky tape (with school age grandchildren around, something never to be without). The batteries are now a firm fit in the case. 

Wilson

PS The GoPro 5 battery case I tried was slightly too small. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by wlaidlaw

• 4 weeks later...

More battery questions.  Are there any differences between Leica BP-DC12-U (V-Lux-4) and the Leica BP-DC12 (for CL, and maybe a Q or two)?  The 1200mA looks the same, but is there a difference in the plastic box configuration?  In other words, what is the subscript "-U" and are these interchangeable.?    

I have been very impressed with the battery life of both the original Leica battery and the two extra Jupio batteries I bought, on the CL. In reality, the life is so good, I really only need have bought one extra.

Wilson

• 3 weeks later...

Just ordered this from Amazon - will let you know how it goes, but looks fine to me, think I have used this (non) brand before with good results.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01FQOCB7Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I do have two Leica batteries but with a short trip coming up next week this seemed like a good option for travel.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

First post. Just got a CL a week ago and can say I am experiencing the same thing with the first cycle going quick. A few images and lots of menu browsing. Died sooner than I wanted or expected. Hopefully the comments about longer battery life after a few cycles remains true. 

But I have another battery related question, and don't know where else to put it. Mods feel free to move. 

Where do you find battery status? So far, I have to turn off and then on again to see the display on top between the two wheels. Didn't find anywhere in the menu. . . 

Thanks-

Welcome to the forum :). Batteries tend to drain fast on my CL as well. Better choose "EVF Extended" in the "Display Settings" menu (page 3) to reduce battery drain in my experience. Battery status can be found at the top right of the back LCD and EVF but only in shooting mode for unknown reason. Just a bug i guess unless i'm missing something. 

Welcome to the forum :). Batteries tend to drain fast on my CL as well. Better choose "EVF Extended" in the "Display Settings" menu (page 3) to reduce battery drain in my experience. Battery status can be found at the top right of the back LCD and EVF but only in shooting mode for unknown reason. Just a bug i guess unless i'm missing something. 

Thanks for the reply. There are a number of issues I've noticed, but I guess that's why some reviewers find this camera "quirky." You should be able to see battery life immediately, or at least with a button or inside the EVF. But while having the EVF set to extended, it renders the display screen blacked out in shooting mode. And I don't see a battery indicator in the EVF, and nowhere in the menu system to turn it on.