Battery Life

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Anyone any observations about battery life? I took my CL out yesterday and admittedly it was long exposures, but only managed 60 images of 3-5 seconds on a full charge, before the battery died. Battery had been fully conditioned prior to use. At that rate it will cost more in batteries for a full days shooting than the camera cost! It really doesn’t help that Leica insists on hot pixel removal after every shot of a couple of seconds. Advice and recommendations appreciated.

At that rate it will cost more in batteries for a full days shooting than the camera cost!

Amazon is your friend [emoji4]

3 batteries and a charger are well under $40

I can’t comment yet on your battery experience other than to say they will need 3-4 cycles to reach max life. Based on all the reviews battery life seems to be exceptional. I went thru my first charge rather quickly, taking only a handful of images...but playing extensively with the menus. I suspect the battery will be fine after a few uses. But I ordered a set of third party batts. From past experience they are no different if not better than OEM at a fraction of the cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yes I’ve ordered another Leica battery and 2 3rd Party from Amazon as you quite rightly say they are no different from OEM just different covers more often than not. Time will tell, however I suspect that the current battery technology has problems keeping pace with the increasing complexity of the electronics. Having said all that great image quality and reasonably intuitive to use.

I just got the CL, charged the battery once, shot > 60 experimental shots, ran automatic upgrades to three zoom lenses, played a lot with menus etc and still have about 2/3 of the battery. Jono reported 300-400 shots per charge.

The battery consumption is typically dominated by the use of LCD and EVF. Like Jono, I am using EVF-Extended mode and default power settings.

In my experience so far, the battery life has been poor. I hope it improves after a few cycles.

I took only a handful images yesterday.

I don’t automatically play them back. I set EVF to extend. I make camera go to sleep after a minute.

Today in the morning the battery was flat by just carrying the CL around my body for 3 hours at a boring event where I took five images.

Edited by meerec

In my experience so far, the battery life has been poor. I hope it improves after a few cycles.

I took only a handful images yesterday.

I don’t automatically play them back. I set EVF to extend. I make camera go to sleep after a minute.

Today in the morning the battery was flat by just carrying the CL around my body for 3 hours at a boring event where I took five images.

Something seems wrong, sorry to hear about that. Two days since I charged the battery and am still at 2/3 of the battery.

My experience of third party batteries has been poor on our various Panaleicas. On my wife's C-Lux, while on a trip to India, her non-Leica battery died. On her current V-Lux, a non-Leica battery got very hot charging, so we put it in our battery recycling bag and replaced it with a branded Panasonic. My ex display C112 came with a Leica and a non-Leica battery. The non-Leica one has a slightly higher nominal capacity than the Leica. It lasts about half as long as the Leica one and I have replaced it with a Hama one, which is nearly as good as the Leica but self-dischages somewhat quicker. 

I would therefore, be very wary of putting cheap non-OEM batteries in any expensive Leica other than one from a branded maker like Panasonic or Hama. Good lithium ion batteries have better control electronics in them to control charging thermally and limit use to the central part of their charge range (typically 90-95% fully charged down to 20% of theoretical max capacity, when they cut off to prevent over-discharge).

We have changed the 18650 batteries in the 8000 lumen Cree torch we have, from the supplied Ultrafire to Panasonic for one set and Nitecore for the spare set, both protected against over-discharge. They last about twice as long as the Ultrafire ones, which nominally have near double the capacity of the better ones. In other words Ultrafire is lying about the capacity. I think this sort of behaviour is typical of the cheap lithium cell makers.

Wilson

I have been using Jupio batteries (and chargers) for years, first on Sony and Olympus, the last year on Panasonic as well, I have 4  BLC12 and 3 BLC10 ones and they have been performing flawlessly, at a higher capacity than the Panasonic ones. The CL will be well provided for. ;)

I have been using Jupio batteries (and chargers) for years, first on Sony and Olympus, the last year on Panasonic as well, I have 4  BLC12 and 3 BLC10 ones and they have been performing flawlessly, at a higher capacity than the Panasonic ones. The CL will be well provided for. ;)

Jaap, 

Is the BLC-12E the same as a BP-DC12 battery? The only non-Leica BP-DC12 batteries Amazon lists, are those made by DOT, which is the same make as my poor C112 battery, so not a make I would buy again. They do list a Jupio BLC-12E, which looks pretty much identical and is recommended for a Leica Q. 

Wilson

I have a Leica Q - the defining number on the Leica Battery is 21NP7/34/41.  Sigma's battery for the dp Quartro is the exact same battery . with Sigma logo instead of Leica.  The Leica battery at B&H costs $95...  the Sigma is $40.  I bought one for my Q - it works exactly the same as the one with Leica stamped on it.  I am positive it will work just as well on a CL my friends.

Rick

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1087579-REG/sigma_d00045_bp_51_lithium_ion_battery_pack.html

Jaap, 

Is the BLC-12E the same as a BP-DC12 battery? The only non-Leica BP-DC12 batteries Amazon lists, are those made by DOT, which is the same make as my poor C112 battery, so not a make I would buy again. They do list a Jupio BLC-12E, which looks pretty much identical and is recommended for a Leica Q. 

Wilson

I'll try it out Monday, Wilson., when I have the CL in my hands. I THINK it is, but have to make sure.

• Like 1

I would therefore, be very wary of putting cheap non-OEM batteries in any expensive Leica other than one from a branded maker like Panasonic or Hama.

I’ve been using “cheap non-OEM” batteries for years with no issues along side OEM. Just a note: Leica doesn’t make these batteries and chances are they are made in the same factory alongside the “cheap non-OEM” batteries.

Not all makes are equal of course, but I used a $15 battery along side the Leica battery for several years in my Q and the $15 battery outperformed the OEM without question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I took about 700 shots on Saturday in a timespan of 3 hours.

I changed batteries and although I did not pay attention to when exactly I changed batteries I am guessing it must have been after around 500 shots.  My second battery had more than half of the battery life left.

The first battery was the one that came with the CL (charged twice), the second battery a spare battery from the Leica Q (already charged dozens of times).