Questions and Oddities

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My CL just arrived and after a brief time spent going thru the menus Ive discovered a few odd behaviors/omissions.

Overall a great little camera, build quality is exceptional...if it was full frame and this size it would be nearly a perfect camera. After limited time with it, I'm pretty impressed. A higher res EVF would have been nice, but its not bad. Once my M adapter arrives, I'll be able to better evaluate. For AF lenses its more than adequate. Absolutely love the locking diopter adjustment...hard to believe its taken this long to perfect the function. Leica has come up with a perfect solution to a knob that has annoyed me for years on pretty much every camera ever made.

My CL came in a kit with the 18mm...which is quite impressive. It is extremely compact and makes the CL pocketable assuming you have some deep pockets (in more ways than one). On to the questions;

1- Video mode forces Auto ISO mode on...why? Please fix this...what is the logic behind disabling manual ISO? 

2- FN button- when I hold the button to select a function (say Profile). as soon as I use that function, it reverts back to the first option the next time I select FN rather than the last selected function. Is this normal behavior? It seems like it should stay on the selected FN until I change it.

3- CAPTURE ASSISTANTS- RESOLVED

4- Is there any way to scroll thru view modes (similar to M10, where I can have clean display, add histogram, add all data, etc)

5- AUTO REVIEW- Why has Leica omitted the hold shutter to preview image function? This was my favorite review mode. I hate being forced to either no review or 1/3/5 sec review. Please consider restoring this option to the M and CL

The CL has so much potential...hopefully some of these issues can be fixed in FW. So far very impressed with the CL, I think this will make a great companion to the M.

This is another big jump for Leica in UI definition, so thoughtful comments should be taken into account in early firmware tuning. 

I don't have a CL yet, but will add my own thoughts when I do.  I suspect the shift to Auto ISO for video is because there does not seem to be the ability to make changes in aperture or ISO manually while the video routines are running.  I hope there can emerge a customer view of how far it is reasonable to push the CL on in-camera video, since the SL can do much more.  I think comparing with the M10 may be the clearest way to identify what is hard to do.

Edited by scott kirkpatrick

1. Never use video so can't comment

2. FN - long press to get list. choose function, centre button to set ...... should be on FN permanently till changed.

3. Yes. Try choosing them from the menu when in Stills Mode. Otherwise not a clue what you have done. Mine works fine.

4. No. Just all on or all off (although the grid remains if you have set it). In some ways I prefer this as on the SL I find fiddling about to get the right 'assistant' can be a nuisance. 

5. I agree. My workaround is to set 'Permanent' so I can view for as long as I like then cancel it by half pressing the shutter. Not ideal, but it works. 

You do sometimes wonder if Leica has completely different development teams for the different cameras that rarely if ever talk to each other ......  :rolleyes:

Video is clearly an afterthought and not a priority on this camera so don't expect a fix any time soon.

Sadly my iPhone is far superior at shooting video than the CL...this should not be. Its a fine little camera that could be very useful as a video tool if they would just get a few simple things right. I can live without the external inputs...but get the basics right please.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3. Yes. Try choosing them from the menu when in Stills Mode. Otherwise not a clue what you have done. Mine works fine.

Not working for me. In A or M mode I cant get all 4 to display. Furthermore with the exception of the grid, the display is blank until I half press the shutter.

5. I agree. My workaround is to set 'Permanent' so I can view for as long as I like then cancel it by half pressing the shutter. Not ideal, but it works. 

Ive tried this, but I generally use no review 90% of the time...its the other 10% that the "HOLD" function was priceless to me. Allowing me the review an image only when I wanted to. I loved this feature and really miss it on the M10. Please bring this back.

2. FN - long press to get list. choose function, centre button to set ...... should be on FN permanently till changed.

Ok, seems to be a bug with Profiles only. After you long select Profiles...then select a profile, it reverts to the first option in your list next time you select FN. Which is annoying because the first option on my list is rarely used.

Maybe their thinking is you only use Profile once? Which doesnt make sense as it precludes me from assigning profile to FN.

Not working for me. In A or M mode I cant get all 4 to display. Furthermore with the exception of the grid, the display is blank until I half press the shutter.

3. Have you turned them on? Under Capture Assistants on page 3 of the menus.

Edited by LocalHero1953

Ok, seems to be a bug with Profiles only. After you long select Profiles...then select a profile, it reverts to the first option in your list next time you select FN. Which is annoying because the first option on my list is rarely used.

Maybe their thinking is you only use Profile once? Which doesnt make sense as it precludes me from assigning profile to FN.

I hadn't noticed this, as I only have one function on the Fn button (User Profile). It's difficult to say if it is intended or a bug. After all, you may have a different set of functions on that button in a different profile.

I suspect there needs to be some rationalisation of what gets included in a User Profile and what doesn't. I noted in another thread earlier that including a named, manually selected lens in User Profiles can cause problems when switching from profile to profile.

I hadn't noticed this, as I only have one function on the Fn button (User Profile). It's difficult to say if it is intended or a bug. After all, you may have a different set of functions on that button in a different profile.

You only have one function when you long press?

By default it lists more than one.

yes of course. All turned on.

I'll post a video.

can you replicate # 2 with "profiles"?

I only have one function on Fn yet, so I can't check that specifically. However I have several functions on the RH dial. Switching between user profiles causes the selected function on the RH dial to revert (i.e. not stay as selected) in the same way you describe. I do have different functions on the RH dial in different profiles, so I'm not sure I would want the mode of operation that you want.

My camera behaved as reported ...... until I set up a user profile (I just saved the current one) .... after that toggling FN works as expected ....

If 'cancel' and 'default' only are present the 'Profile' choice doesn't stick.  Of course you have to have FN settings in the new profile that still lists the original FN menu choice ..... 

I've checked and Capture Assistants works in all modes.  There is 'probably' an obscure bug which causes this with the particular settings you have active. Possibly try a reset and see if is still an issue ... that may narrow down the problem a bit ....

Edited by thighslapper

Another dumb check: have you pressed the centre button (in the direction ring) to switch between display with and without histogram/horizon?

Thanks! Battery dead, but could very well be idiot mode on :)

This is why I asked earlier if there was a way to cycle thru display modes. I thought I checked this, but sounds like my error. Will verify when battery charges.

Thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The only oddity I've noticed thus far is the placement of the shutter speed dial.  There are those who would like it to be re-programmed so it's on the right.  My request would be more radical - bring it FORWARD so that it becomes a finger wheel rather than a thumb wheel.  For any M user it would then be in a much more logical and useful position... Unfortunately, I can't see this happening with this iteration!  However - I have started to use my finger for shutter speed adjustment, and it actually feels more normal, particularly in veritical orientation.

Otherwise it's all good....  Just not enough opportunities to get out with it at the moment...

Edited by chris_tribble

I am new to the forum and have my CL waiting for me in Florida when I get there. I also have various T lenses but my question is regarding my only M lens at this stage which is the M Summicron 50mm f/2. I understand of course that on the CL this lens will be effectively 75mm but my question is regarding the depth of field scale on the lens. Will this be accurate for the various apertures and if not is there a rule of thumb as to how to compensate.

Thanks and so far I have been enjoying the forum. 

I am new to the forum and have my CL waiting for me in Florida when I get there. I also have various T lenses but my question is regarding my only M lens at this stage which is the M Summicron 50mm f/2. I understand of course that on the CL this lens will be effectively 75mm but my question is regarding the depth of field scale on the lens. Will this be accurate for the various apertures and if not is there a rule of thumb as to how to compensate.

Thanks and so far I have been enjoying the forum. 

My understanding is that a full frame 50mm F/2 lens, would render depth of field like a 75mm at f3 on the T, though the light gathering capacity would remain similar to that of a F/2  (Hope someone will correct me if I have misstated anything).

I don't know whether the depth of scale readings on the lens can correspondingly be multiplied by the 1.5x crop factor but I would think not.

Edited by ropo54
  • Like 1