The pocketable CL+18mm

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Even before I heard the phrase "The best camera is the one you have with you" I have been obsessed with having a no compromise camera that I WILL always have with me - small and light; and no compromises meant one that is high quality, versatile and controllable.

My M3 was matched with a collapsible 50mm Elmar (and with a 90mm collapsible Elmar), and I had a soft leather case made for it - but it was always just that bit too heavy for a pocket or for sliding into my briefcase with files and office stuff.

A series of compact P&S digitals easily went in the pocket but left too much to be desired in IQ and control. The Ricoh GRD4 (with another custom soft leather case) worked for a while, but eventually I was not satisfied by the IQ comparison with my digital M - and manual exposure and focus, when needed, were not easy. The Q might have done - but the lens was too big. The TL2 was good - but the absence of a VF was a compromise.

The CL and 18mm lens may well be the answer: light, IQ approaching or rivalling the M and SL, and it seems, pocketable!

The leather jacket

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The DJ/tux (a bit tongue in cheek!)

The Paramo Cascada hill jacket

Sadly for me (but probably not for my camera's resale value) I can't fit it in my denims pockets, either front or rear.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 6

Even before I heard the phrase "The best camera is the one you have with you" I have been obsessed with having a no compromise camera that I WILL always have with me - small and light; and no compromises meant one that is high quality, versatile and controllable.

My M3 was matched with a collapsible 50mm Elmar (and with a 90mm collapsible Elmar), and I had a soft leather case made for it - but it was always just that bit too heavy for a pocket or for sliding into my briefcase with files and office stuff.

A series of compact P&S digitals easily went in the pocket but left too much to be desired in IQ and control. The Ricoh GRD4 (with another custom soft leather case) worked for a while, but eventually I was not satisfied by the IQ comparison with my digital M - and manual exposure and focus, when needed, were not easy. The Q might have done - but the lens was too big. The TL2 was good - but the absence of a VF was a compromise.

The CL and 18mm lens may well be the answer: light, IQ approaching or rivalling the M and SL, and it seems, pocketable!

The leather jacket

attachicon.gif2017-12-12 15.09.32.jpg

The DJ/tux (a bit tongue in cheek!)

attachicon.gif2017-12-12 15.14.37.jpg

The Paramo Cascada hill jacket

attachicon.gif2017-12-12 15.18.01.jpg

Sadly for me (but probably not for my camera's resale value) I can't fit it in my denims pockets, either front or rear.

Get rid of the skinny jeans.

• Like 1

Before sewing one for myself ... anyone knowing about a simple silk pouch that fits the CL+18mm (or similar, smallish lenses) when carrying the body in a jacket pocket?

One came with your camera. The pouch holding the charger should be a perfect fit.

I also use Zing neoprene pushes for my lenses...they have one that would fit the CL + 18mm perfectly which would offer better protection.

• Like 1

Not to rain on the glorious CL parade, but did you ever consider the Ricoh GR?  Aps-c sensor, 28mm eq. f2.8 lens, and small enough to go in almost any pocket.  And before that was the Leica X1, X2 and XE  Gotta say though, the CL looks super.

I thought hard about it. IQ would probably have been good enough for me, but, as I said, anything other than P&S on the GRD4 was a bit fiddly, and I suspected the GRD would have been similar. 

Before sewing one for myself ... anyone knowing about a simple silk pouch that fits the CL+18mm (or similar, smallish lenses) when carrying the body in a jacket pocket?

Leica CS ships in very nice velvet pouches ;)

Leica CS ships in very nice velvet pouches ;)

One came with your camera. The pouch holding the charger should be a perfect fit.

I also use Zing neoprene pushes for my lenses...they have one that would fit the CL + 18mm perfectly which would offer better protection.

Thanks gents - time to reopen the box, it seems...