CL and ISO

Will be shooting a formal Solstice dinner with 16 guests this eve.  The hosts do not want flash used for obvious reasons.  Will be using the Leica CL for the shoot with the TL23 and TL 35 lenses.  Am a tad nervous about using the camera in low light (mix of dimmed overhead lights and candle light).  I used the Sony a7s last year and it did quite well.

Think the Leica CL will do well also shooting it a 6400 and between f1.4 and f2.8  Since am nervous, thinking about bringing my sony a7s just in case.

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions? 

I have absolutely no idea what a formal Solstice Dinner is! Do they sacrifice one of the guests?

More seriously, if I was nervous, swapping camera systems half way through would make me even more nervous. I'd either test the Leica in similar lighting first to see how it performs, or go with the tried and tested Sony that worked well last year.

• Like 1

Why not using the Sony as the main camera because you are confident that it works for you and add some additional shots with the CL? Then you get a fair comparison between the two systems and after the dinner you know which one you will bring with you next year. 

• Like 1

I have absolutely no idea what a formal Solstice Dinner is! Do they sacrifice one of the guests?

More seriously, if I was nervous, swapping camera systems half way through would make me even more nervous. I'd either test the Leica in similar lighting first to see how it performs, or go with the tried and tested Sony that worked well last year.

Paul, the Solstice Dinner is just a wonderful formal dinner celebrating the Solstice.  This couple has been having this dinner for the same 14 friends (16 including themselves) for 30 years.  It's a 7-10 course meal with great champagne, iced vodka, caviar, etc.

I am pretty sure the Leica will perform well; am just nervous as I have not tried shooting with it in very low light.

Thanks for your feedback.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Why not using the Sony as the main camera because you are confident that it works for you and add some additional shots with the CL? Then you get a fair comparison between the two systems and after the dinner you know which one you will bring with you next year. 

Ingo, may do what you suggest.  I would love to use the TL 35 f1.4 to capture some really nice couples portraits.  I think those photos would be amazing.

I know you have had the camera for awhile now.  have you used it in lowlight settings without a flash?  If so, how did the pics turn out?

With the 23mm the AF-performance is similar to the Q in low light and okay with the 35mm. IQ and high ISO is absolutely no issue for me.

You have motivated me to be courageous and just bring the Leica CL. Thank you.  I will let you know tomorrow how it went.

Thx to Paul and you for your support, suggestions and encouragement.

• Like 2