SL video set up

leica1215

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It won't breathe while focusing. Obviously, it will change magnification while zooming.

What cine zooms don't do while zooming is change focus. Almost all zooms designed for still photography will shift focus while zooming. This is compensated by the AF mechanism.

Cine lenses use very complex and precise zooming mechanisms to hold focus, and even then they need to be manually collimated to a specific camera. That's part of the reason why they cost so much.

There are a few decent still parfocal zooms out there like Leica 4/35-70, P. Angenieux 35-70 and 70-210.

The thing about Cine zooms is that they are not only parfocal and constant aperture, but have a huge zoom throw compared to still lenses.

• Like 2

There are a few decent still parfocal zooms out there like Leica 4/35-70, P. Angenieux 35-70 and 70-210.

The thing about Cine zooms is that they are not only parfocal and constant aperture, but have a huge zoom throw compared to still lenses.

Sadly, I sold my 35-70 f4 a few years ago. It's a really nice lens but found less use in recent years

• 2 months later...

Based on your suggestion I picked up a couple of Vario-Elmar-R F4 zooms.

The following is from the 35 - 70 ....

https://vimeo.com/282209632

Password is: daysend

Best at 1080.

Turn up the volume.

I will leave it up for a couple of days.

Thanks,

Bob

Edited by docmoore

• 2 weeks later...

Introducing a new subject: recording duration.

I am looking at how to record plays and musicals. This would be a simple static video recording system from a single point on a tripod.

The problem seems to be the 30 minute limit on recording with most still cameras that can be used as video cameras.

From what I see, the same applies to the SL and the CL.

This is too short for a production of anything from 1-2+ hours.

How does one get over this?

Do you still have the 30min limit if you record externally via the HDMI socket?

Edited by LocalHero1953

Introducing a new subject: recording duration.

I am looking at how to record plays and musicals. This would be a simple static video recording system from a single point on a tripod.

The problem seems to be the 30 minute limit on recording with most still cameras that can be used as video cameras.

From what I see, the same applies to the SL and the CL.

This is too short for a production of anything from 1-2+ hours.

How does one get over this?

Do you still have the 30min limit if you record externally via the HDMI socket?

This is an old problem resulting from customs rules that were set up to protect the European VCR manufacturers long ago, making video equipment subject to higher import duties and other procedural obstacles.  Still cameras could avoid these by limiting recording to 30 minutes.  You can plan for this by shutting down for a few seconds during blackouts, but a better solution is to keep a complete audio timeline at higher quality with a good microphone or line input going into a digital audio recorder.  Then let the editing package synch things up as you assemble your <30 minute shots.  The HDMI external recorder (works fine with the SL, not possible with the CL) solves the problem, offers even greater quality, but is costly and creates huge files.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Based on your suggestion I picked up a couple of Vario-Elmar-R F4 zooms.

The following is from the 35 - 70 ....

https://vimeo.com/282209632

Password is: daysend

Best at 1080.

Turn up the volume.

I will leave it up for a couple of days.

Thanks,

Bob

Is the recording down now?  I tried to play it but the password is no longer recognized.

Is the recording down now?  I tried to play it but the password is no longer recognized.

Hi Scott,

New password: mork

As I use commercial music ... I own and ripped the CDs but still not completely good to leave up all the time. So when I have something to

share I will open access to the files for a short time.

My external recorder arrives on Thursday so I hope to explore 10 bit.

Afraid that the camera has grown a bit ... but with a couple of screw releases I can get it down to the cage and RRS L plate in about 15 seconds when I am out shooting

stills.

Bob

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!