SL video set up

leica1215

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm keen to start trying video, but I'm baffled by a lot of the technical talk here.  I would like to start using the 24-90 and SL-50 for video, and I like the idea of a string tied to your foot.

This may have been covered elsewhere, but can someone share the basic settings in the SL to get started?  I would be videoing family stuff mostly, at least at the start.  I don't have a video editing programme yet - I assume that means I have to invest in Final Cut Pro.

If this is the wrong place to post, please just point me in the right direction.  I have a high level of ignorance in this field of photography (like, "What's a codec?"), but would be keen to start with a simple set up that can get me going.

Cheers

John

For infrequent family stuff where you want to put together a short sequence of shots with jump cuts between each, something like iMovie will do just fine, since all you need is a timeline and a trim control to start and stop scenes.  Since video in the camera has even less data per frame than a jpeg, be sure to set the SL's exposure compensation way down.  Experiment;  -1 stop is a good starting point.  Blown out highlights look awful, and deep shadows merely look "cinematic" and dramatic.  If you want to post-process anything (it's called "colorizing" in video) Final Cut is powerful and expensive, but not too hard to learn, and DaVinci Resolve is even more powerful and has a free version that can do anything you would want.  I've used Final Cut infrequently, but over a long period, and I work with a second screen open to Google/Chrome to ask for help when I can't find the control I need, which happens often.  Being a cameraman and making smooth, composed and in-focus shots takes practice but is fun...

A "codec" (coder-decoder) is the software that takes image data from the chip and encodes it into a video stream.  If you choose the MOV output iTunes will play it automatically on a Mac.  If you choose the MP4 output, Windows will play it automatically but a Mac will need an extra keystroke ("play as").  The contents will look the same.  The video images for 1080P and 720P encodings are taken from the full chip image, then reduced as needed.  Video for one of the "4K" formats (all roughly 4000  pixels by 2000 lines) is taken from the "Super 35" central portion of the chip, giving an expansion factor of about 1.6 to the focal length of your lenses.

• Like 1

I'm keen to start trying video, but I'm baffled by a lot of the technical talk here.  I would like to start using the 24-90 and SL-50 for video, and I like the idea of a string tied to your foot.

This may have been covered elsewhere, but can someone share the basic settings in the SL to get started?  I would be videoing family stuff mostly, at least at the start.  I don't have a video editing programme yet - I assume that means I have to invest in Final Cut Pro.

If this is the wrong place to post, please just point me in the right direction.  I have a high level of ignorance in this field of photography (like, "What's a codec?"), but would be keen to start with a simple set up that can get me going.

Cheers

John

John, let me save you $300 by suggesting this: when you decide to go super legit and move up from iMovie, download a free version of DaVinci Resolve instead of buying Final Cut Pro. Not only you will get better software, but will be able to divert the funds towards a cage, or an external HDMI recorder, which immensely improves quality of your footage.

Edited by Irakly Shanidze
  • Like 2

John, let me save you $300 by suggesting this: when you decide to go super legit and move up from iMovie, download a free version of DaVinci Resolve instead of buying Final Cut Pro. Not only you will get better software, but will be able to divert the funds towards a cage, or an external HDMI recorder, which immensely improves quality of your footage.

The "big" editing platforms are Adobe Premiere, Avid Media Composer, Final Cut and Resolve. Resolve is a relatively new option. They've been strong in the colour-correction space for a long time, but they've recently added full-featured editing functionality, as well as full-featured sound editing.

Resolve is the one I would learn if I were starting now. As mentioned, the basic version is free, but the hardware certainly isn't. You will need a fast machine with a high-end video card and fast storage. The minimum hardware requirements are somewhere on the BlackmagicDesign web site, but hard to find.

In my opinion, the biggest and easiest upgrade one can make to their videos is sound. Good sound makes any video feel more professional and immersive.

• Like 1

Resolve is the one I would learn if I were starting now. As mentioned, the basic version is free, but the hardware certainly isn't. You will need a fast machine with a high-end video card and fast storage. The minimum hardware requirements are somewhere on the BlackmagicDesign web site, but hard to find.

In my opinion, the biggest and easiest upgrade one can make to their videos is sound. Good sound makes any video feel more professional and immersive.

Resolve is all I use now. The only reason I still have FPX on my machine is templates and generators, as Resolve is not super big on that.

As to minimum system requirements, this is what I use on OS X Sierra for real time 4K editing in performance mode with 1/2 timeline resolution:

Mac Pro 2008 8-core 3.16GHz Xeon

32GB RAM

NVIDIA GForce GTX 980 Ti

PCI-E 500GB SSD dedicated to Resove

Sonnet USB 3.0 PCI-E card

Backmagic Intensity Pro 4K

Appe Cinema HD 30"

Viewsonic 32" 1080p HDMI monitor on Intensity Pro 4K card

Marantz USB Studio Microphone for voice over.

This whole system (except monitors) can be had for below $1K if you are comfortable playing Lego with computer components.

Minimum system requirements for Mac

• macOS 10.12.6 Sierra
  • 16 GB of system memory is recommended and 8 GB is the minimum supported
  • Blackmagic Design Desktop Video version 10.4.1 or later
  • CUDA Driver version 8.0.63
  • NVIDIA Driver version - As required by your GPU
  • RED Rocket-X Driver 2.1.34.0 and Firmware 1.4.22.18 or later
  • RED Rocket Driver 2.1.23.0 and Firmware 1.1.18.0 or later
Minimum system requirements for Windows
  • Windows 10 Pro
  • NVIDIA/AMD/Intel GPU Driver version – As required by your GPU

• Like 1

Minimum system requirements for Mac

• macOS 10.12.6 Sierra
  • CUDA Driver version 8.0.63
  • NVIDIA Driver version - As required by your GPU
Minimum system requirements for Windows
  • Windows 10 Pro
  • NVIDIA/AMD/Intel GPU Driver version – As required by your GPU

Why one would need Red Rocket for Leica SL, which is not even shooting RAW?

BMD Video Desktop is necessary if the system is equipped with DeckLink, or Intensity, or some kind of BlackMagic capture device.

I was able to wake up video stabilization on my SLs, but it shows a strange link in the firmware.  In general, the SL's video settings are independent of the still image settings, but not entirely...

I installed a 90-280 (optically stabilized) SL lens.  That lit up the OIS setting on the last page of the menus, so I turned that ON.  It was then possible to switch on the video stabilization in "video settings" on the IMAGE menu page.  Both work.  I took off the 90-280 and replaced it with first an R lens (MF) and then an S lens (operating in MF with optional AF) and the video stabilization setting continues to work.  Neither lens has OIS, of course.  Curiously, the video stabilization setting is greyed out even when it says it is ON and I go into the menus from a video state, but it seems to be working.

If we get a chance to contribute thoughts for firmware 4.0 for the SL, I'll write this up again.

Just a guess. I think the SL logic is right. By setting video stabilization "On" , that's your desire whenever an OIS lens is attached. But when non-OIS lenses are attached, it grays out to signal to you that it isn't available to you (on this lens). A "not available" indication.

because he said "The minimum hardware requirements are somewhere on the BlackmagicDesign web site, but hard to find.", so i pasted the full config.

am sure he knows he doesn't need a red rocket for the SL

Why one would need Red Rocket for Leica SL, which is not even shooting RAW?
BMD Video Desktop is necessary if the system is equipped with DeckLink, or Intensity, or some kind of BlackMagic capture device.

Just a guess. I think the SL logic is right. By setting video stabilization "On" , that's your desire whenever an OIS lens is attached. But when non-OIS lenses are attached, it grays out to signal to you that it isn't available to you (on this lens). A "not available" indication.

No, video stabilization is done in software, independent of the type of lens used.  These are two independent controls that have somehow become linked in the firmware, when that linkage is at most, relevant for SL lenses and certainly not for TL lenses.

• Like 2

for smooth video, you prefer something like lock circle cage, tripod with slider, or gimble? gimble is quite big, lock circle cage looks just good. im looking something compact and I am mainly shooting family short clips not thing serious.

Lockcircle cage by itself will not make your footage smooth. It is merely for protection and to make the rig 15-mm-rod compliant. Using this particular cage you will be able to mount additional essential components like a follow focus, matte box, external recorder/monitor, etc. Also you can rig it up for handheld use, and for that you will need two vertical handles and a shoulder support. There are other cages that have vertical handles built-in, but ergonomically this is not the best solution. Look up "bulldog rig", and this is what you need and can build using your LockCircle cage as a foundation.

Everything that you listed is not "or". It is more like "and", because all these things give you different looks, and you will need them all for your movie to look professional.

• Like 1

because he said "The minimum hardware requirements are somewhere on the BlackmagicDesign web site, but hard to find.", so i pasted the full config.

am sure he knows he doesn't need a red rocket for the SL

You posted system requirements, not hardware. Minimum hardware requirements are:

Intel i7 processor

8GB RAM

2GB GPU for comfortable 1080p work, or 4GB GPU for not very comfortable 4K work

500GB HDD

15" monitor

Just keep in mind that "minimum" does not mean "you will be very pleased with how fast things are going" :)

for smooth video, you prefer something like lock circle cage, tripod with slider, or gimble?

A tripod with a good fluid head will give you the smoothest video, if that's what you want.

Here are a few options for hand-held work, from cheapest to most expensive.

• Use a wide lens. I find that I can hand-hold for very long periods with an 18 mm on Super 35 (equivalent to a 28 on full frame).
  • Use in-camera or in-lens image stabilization. I personally don't like the "OIS look," but most people seem to be OK with it.
  • Use a stabilization effect in post. This will crop your image slightly.
  • Use a vibration dampener. I have a bean bag that screws into the camera's tripod socket. It makes a noticeable difference.
  • Use a monopod or small tripod. Your shots will be more stable even if the tripod isn't touching the ground. The extra mass dampens vibrations, and the tripod acts as a keel, keeping the camera level.
  • Use a cage and handles. Lockcircle makes a dedicated SL cage, but many SLR cages also fit.
  • Use a mechanical stabilizer, like a Steadicam.
  • Use a shoulder rig. That's what news shooters do.
  • Use a motorized stabilizer, like a Movi.
  • Hire a professional.

For silent shots you can also overcrank: shoot at a high frame rate, and slow-down in editing. For instance, shoot a shot at 60 fps and have your editing software treat it as 30fps slow-motion.

Your choice will come down to what's available to you, how much complication you want, and, mostly, what suits the scene. A little bit of jerkiness can help sell your shot. Hand-held motion looks "truthful," which is why commercials often use it. On the other hand, super-smooth shots look "expensive," and "scripted," which is also useful.

• Like 1

i wonder if its possible via a firmware update..

the original bm pocket cinema camera was ProRes only and after the firmware update [which coincided with faster sandisk cards being release] unlocked the DNG recording mode

hopefully the next SL will have it... 

Edited by frame-it

i wonder if its possible via a firmware update..

the original bm pocket cinema camera was ProRes only and after the firmware update [which coincided with faster sandisk cards being release] unlocked the DNG recording mode

it may be a problem with 4K for not having enough bandwidth. Although, hardware support for UHS-II cards makes me wonder...