Need help for Decision choice

Kamyar

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I want to consult with you. I have a brand new m6. With a serial number of which only 600 of them were produced. I've been suggested to change it with a monochrom monochrom along with visoflex, which has remained for six months. I have a tl2 and a sl, and a number of leica and voigtlander lenses. Will I do this change? ( i hav now leica TL2 and SL )

Edited by Kamyar

Hello Kamyar.

Which M6 do you own ?

Anyway, a Monochrom with Visoflex (I think it's optional EVF) which may be M(typ 246) is far more expensive than M6 (well some "limited").

To answer your question, it's up to you...

if you need/want a Monochrom, please do the swap and if not keep your M6 to use film (color or mono ;) ).

• Like 1

Yes . I have m6. But i shoot b&w film shoot only 2 roll . I like b&w photography. But i have 2 leica digital ( tl2 and SL ). Do you think I need another camera ( mono ) for black and white photography? Or is it better to hold my M6 ?

That all depends on whether or not you like film.  Will you miss it if you sell?

I also have the SL and TL2 - I have two TL lenses, three SL lenses and 6 M mount lenses (and an LTM and a Nikon mount lens, which I adapt).  So while most of my photography is using L mount cameras, there is an appeal in having an M camera as well.

I have a film camera (an M-A) and I don't use it a lot.  I do recognise I need to use it more, but it takes time for me to get back into the swing of film (brushing up on metering, selecting and processing film, scanning it etc).  If I'm not doing it a bit, then I get out of the habit.  At the moment, I'm scanning negatives and I can see the benefit of film.

For B&W, though, I use my Monochrom.  I have the CCD, M9 based Monochrom and I like it a lot.  So, for me, having the choice of SL & TL2, and Monochrom, is really good.  The Monochrom really does give much better results, in my view, than converting colour images.

For you, though, the M9 CCD based Monochrom doesn't provide live view, so you can't use it with an EVF.  The M(246) Monochrom is based on the M(240), and it is not compatible with the Visoflex 020 you use on your TL2.  In my experience, the VF2 that works with the M(246) is pretty much rubbish compared to the more modern offerings.

So, my advice would be to wait for the M10 based Monochrom if you can - it will be compatible with the 020 EVF you already have.  It's good enough that any improvement is marginal.  Conversely, if you don't need an EVF for your Monochrom (this will depend on your lenses), then look around for an M9, CCD Monochrom with a new sensor.

The M9 based cameras suffer from corrosion on the sensor cover glass. This has been sorted with a new sensor.  Make sure any M9 Monochrom you buy has the new sensor - the trade from your M6 shouldn't be too painful, it works fine without an EVF and the results will blow you away!

Good luck

John

Edited by IkarusJohn
  • Like 1

Yes . I have m6. But i shoot b&w film shoot only 2 roll . I like b&w photography. But i have 2 leica digital ( tl2 and SL ). Do you think I need another camera ( mono ) for black and white photography? Or is it better to hold my M6 ?

Sell the TL2 and buy the CL. Sell the M6 and buy an M2 and more film. Sell the SL and buy M with EVF. All problems solved ;)

• Like 1

This monochrome is type 246. And has warranty. He say me just 500 shut working. And with Visoflex for m. But I did not understand what I mean by the m9 ccd monochrome. I have not got leica m digital yet

There are two Monochroms - the first was based on the M9, and has a CCD sensor.  There is no live-view with a CCD sensor.  The second is based on the M(240) camera, which has a CMOS sensor, and can offer live view.  Unfortunately, the M(246) has the earlier version of the Maestro processor which won't work with the Visoflex 020 which you have with the TL2.

• Like 1

This camera with viso flex. And i have Visoflex for tl2.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Kamyar

Not an easy decision. I loved my M6 and regret selling it. The M246, is a heavier and fatter camera, but I love using it for b/w digital so I put up with it. Unless you work in a darkroom and also do your own printing with enlarger, etc., scanning negatives is turning film into digital. It’s so much easier using digital camera and either the original monochrome or the current one, M246, is worth it IF you like monochrome. Many compare the look these cameras produce to film.

• Like 1

This camera with viso flex. And i have Visoflex for tl2.

If you can, try the camera with the VIsoflex and see if you like it.  I didn't, and if I were in your position I would have a look for the version 1 Monochrom, or wait for the M10 version (which may or may not come and will be expensive).  Financially, the version 1 Monochrom will be the cheapest.

• Like 1