3 questions

Steve McGarrett

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi guys,

Three questions.

1) Bad quality in Play mode. Yes, I've searched in the archives and I've selected DNG+(L)JPG, but the image it's still very "pixelated" at mid iso settings, large green or red squares especially in shadows, like a VERY basic, low-res JPG quality. Of course when importing DNGs on the hard drive there is no problem at all, but I wonder if that's really normal...? Any setting could I have messed with?

2) Is there a fast way to return to the center after zooming in and moving the point around the frame?

3) Is there a way to put the Electronic Shutter "on/extended/off" setting in a shortcut key or at least in the Favourite menu?

Thank you all

S.

1) Have you tried changing Noise Reduction under JPEG settings? In my experience quality of previews are very sensitive to this setting. When set to low, I notice many green patches and pixelated image. I have this now set to high and have very good previews on both EVF and LCD.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1) Have you tried changing Noise Reduction under JPEG settings? In my experience quality of previews are very sensitive to this setting. When set to low, I notice many green patches and pixelated image. I have this now set to high and have very good previews on both EVF and LCD.

Interesting thought ... I normally leave Noise Reduction off (I do my own noise reduction in the rare instance it's needed on the DNG files when I process them). I'll have to experiment with that. 

The whole point is that no DNG is involved.  The camera saves only a JPEG High Res, it does not save a DNG, so there is nothing but the JPEG for the camera to look at.

If this post is about the quality of the  JPEG embedded in the DNG then I have misunderstood.

I'm perplexed at what you're saying.

This thread was, in part, about "bad quality in play mode" when looking at captures made with DNG files produced, either DNG-only or JPEG+DNG. And the comments leading up to your entry all suggested that DNG+JPEG (large) produced better review results than DNG-only. As to why, well, that's what we're conjecturing about. 

It seems pretty obvious that if the SL is set to JPEG-only mode, with High Res capture, the JPEG finished data is all the camera has to look at and the results in the display should match it pretty closely. The question is what is the camera doing when you are capturing DNG files. 

• Like 1

As background information, I am shooting exclusively DNG-only and no artifacts are ever seen in the DNG’s when I load them in the computer. It’s only the embedded JPEGs that are used for preview in-camera that appear to be under control from the camera’s JPEG settings and are quite sensitive to the JPEG noise reduction settings. Therefore setting noise reduction to high has no further penalty for me other than very good previews. When you shoot DNG + JPEG, you may want to be more careful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No, I'll give it a try.

BTW I've seen that changing JPEG settings will alter the live view rendering in EVF... focus peaking is more visible if I set Sharpening on High, shadows are slightly less dark if I set Contrast on Low etc...

Edited by Steve McGarrett