35mm Summilux ASPH FLE Love/Hate

colint544

Advertisement (gone after registration)

oh my... my few months old 50mm lux black chrome has play over the focus ring.  Leica USA has screwed my M240 body once and I don't have confidence to try them again.  What should I do?

Check with DAG (Don Goldberg). He is fast, reasonable, and reliable, and won’t do more than is needed.

Jaeger,   I agree with TomB_tx in his post #21.  You should contact Don Goldberg at DAG.  When I am back in the USA, I either send my Leica warranty work directly to Wetzlar or out of warranty, it goes to DAG.  I gave up on Leica NJ three years ago after several repairs turned into disasters.  Here is Don's contact info.    https://www.dagcamera.com   r/  Mark

• Like 1

Jaeger,   I contact Leica Customer Service at Wetzlar usually by phone and describe the problem.  (Check out the Leica Camera AG website)  They email me the shipping label and its picked up by the carrier when I call for a pickup or I drop it off with the carrier.  The longest wait with Wetzlar is the package inbound sits in German Customs for 10 business days to clear.  After that, Leica Wetzlar does a great job and lets me know when its going to shipped back to me.  I have never had to send a repair back to Wetzlar for a "redo"...unlike Leica NJ.  In Australia, like I am now, I simply call Leica Australia and they make all the arrangements for pickup etc..  I can't say enough good things about Leica Australia and how they handle repairs either in country or shipping things to Wetzlar for me.  In the US and out of warranty, it goes to DAG.  If he can't repair the item, he tells me up front and it goes to Wetzlar, but that is a very rare occurrence.  r/ Mark

PS.  For something simple like the focus ring, it might be a lot faster sending it to DAG if you are in a hurry and don't mind paying Don.  He will give you an honest assessment and costing on the phone and its done quick and right the first time. 

Edited by LeicaR10
  • Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

sent out on Dec 2017 and came back on August 2018??   Did you send to Wetzlar and how long did it take?  Thanks.

Update - just got my 35mm Summilux ASPH FLE back from Leica. Aperture ring detents now nice and firm, focus ring silky smooth with no play, and the rattle has been banished.

Feels like a new lens, and better than when I bought it new seven years ago. £322. Very happy!

• Like 1

sent out on Dec 2017 and came back on August 2018??   Did you send to Wetzlar and how long did it take?  Thanks.

No, should maybe have clarified - only sent the lens away in June or July. It wasn't away for long. 

• Like 1

I have a similar experience with the 35 Summilux. I’m really quite pleased with the performance of the lens, it has been my primary optic for the past year now but mine too has the loose aperture ring and I hear the slight rattle as well. I’ve thought about sending it in but it makes me nervous to do so because it focuses perfectly on both of my Ms and I don’t want to jeopardize that.

Almost every Leica lens I have owned save for the 35 Summicron ASPH and both 50mm Elmars has had to be sent in for focus adjustment, each one has had front or back focusing issues that were too noticeable to ignore. For instance, I just bought another 50 Summilux ASPH and I have to send that in too because it back focuses just like my previous copy did before I got it fixed. Kinda frustrating to not be able to use equipment when you buy it, but that’s the risk one takes when buying used as I almost always do. I accept that.

I’m glad though that Leica was able to fix up your lens Colin, I presume it was sent direct to Germany? Here in the US Leica New Jersey is our repair option (for first party) and they... well they aren’t great. I’m quite reluctant to ever use them again to be perfectly honest.

Edited by Abram
  • Like 1

I have a similar experience with the 35 Summilux. I’m really quite pleased with the performance of the lens, it has been my primary optic for the past year now but mine too has the loose aperture ring and I hear the slight rattle as well. I’ve thought about sending it in but it makes me nervous to do so because it focuses perfectly on both of my Ms and I don’t want to jeopardize that.

Almost every Leica lens I have owned save for the 35 Summicron ASPH and both 50mm Elmars has had to be sent in for focus adjustment, each one has had front or back focusing issues that were too noticeable to ignore. For instance, I just bought another 50 Summilux ASPH and I have to send that in too because it back focuses just like my previous copy did before I got it fixed. Kinda frustrating to not be able to use equipment when you buy it, but that’s the risk one takes when buying used as I almost always do. I accept that.

I’m glad though that Leica was able to fix up your lens Colin, I presume it was sent direct to Germany? Here in the US Leica New Jersey is our repair option (for first party) and they... well they aren’t great. I’m quite reluctant to ever use them again to be perfectly honest.

Thank you, yes - sent mine back to the factory in Germany. I have to say, my experience has generally been that second-hand Leica equipment is problem free, but when I've bought brand-new, it has had to be fettled and sorted. 

That's scarcely a wide sample source, though - just my own niche experience.

But anyway, good luck with your 35mm Summilux, I hope you can get it fixed properly. It's such a great lens, it deserves to be in tip-top condition.

Edited by colint544
  • Like 2

Cheers, guys. I know, I'm not really looking for an answer, I'm musing really. I might just have got a bad copy of the 35 FLE. It does happen.

I purchased a Leica Summilux 35 a month ago. It seems fine the aperture ring is smooth, no looseness, with solid clicks for the f-stops. 

it renders very nicely on my M10. I also own the Summicron 35 which is my "standard" lens. I'm not sure that I have a preference between them yet. 

Regards,

Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.
  • Like 2

How's the focusing action between the two? Is one smoother than the other? 

I purchased a Leica Summilux 35 a month ago. It seems fine the aperture ring is smooth, no looseness, with solid clicks for the f-stops. 

it renders very nicely on my M10. I also own the Summicron 35 which is my "standard" lens. I'm not sure that I have a preference between them yet. 

Regards,

Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.

How's the focusing action between the two? Is one smoother than the other?

About the same.

Regards,

Bud James

• Like 1

HI, Abram,

I have to ask the obvious question when so many of your lenses have had to be returned for focus recalibration: have you only used them on one camera and might that camera's rangefinder need calibrating?

Pete.

• Like 1

HI, Abram,

I have to ask the obvious question when so many of your lenses have had to be returned for focus recalibration: have you only used them on one camera and might that camera's rangefinder need calibrating?

Pete.

When I came to Leica in 2010 or so with all my lenses and two bodies for calibration, the first thing they said was: ‘it’s mostly the camera’

• Like 1

HI, Abram,

Pete.

Of course, each time I had an issue with a lens I had it checked along with the camera body (film or digital or both). I’ve been through my share of camera bodies too at this point and they’ve all checked out. Each time it was actually the lens. It’s partially my fault for going through so many lenses as I was constantly buying / selling / trying. I just chalk it up to bad luck. I’m much more settled down now as far as swapping equipment goes. With this most recent adjustment where my 50 Summilux needs adjustment I took everything in together and it was confirmed that both my bodies have accurate rangefinders and it’s the lens (again.)

• Like 1

Hi Abram, can you please elaborate "took everything in together"  I mean to where?  Leica NJ or Socal Leica dealer? 

I'm thinking I might need to do that too... not only the 50 Lux has play, my 90mm APO is very difficult to focus too... 

Thanks for your time.

Of course, each time I had an issue with a lens I had it checked along with the camera body (film or digital or both). I’ve been through my share of camera bodies too at this point and they’ve all checked out. Each time it was actually the lens. It’s partially my fault for going through so many lenses as I was constantly buying / selling / trying. I just chalk it up to bad luck. I’m much more settled down now as far as swapping equipment goes. With this most recent adjustment where my 50 Summilux needs adjustment I took everything in together and it was confirmed that both my bodies have accurate rangefinders and it’s the lens (again.)