Leica M9 and new Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2

malfaris

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi

after my leica 240-p was stolen with 35 FLE 2 years ago , I really missed shooting with leica. Being invested in Canon couldn't pay for new leica body nor a lens. so bought used Leica M9 (used to have one for short time and loved its photos  )  and decide to buy fast lens due to its low light performance compared to newer models , so I ordered the new Voigt 40mm f1.2, however a bit concern not getting leica lens like the crons. I know its personal choice , but would you go this route or would preferred a leica lens even if its slower one? I am seriously thinking about canceling my order but sometimes think the fast Voigt might be helpful despite not being compact and unique.( I found 50 cron v4 a for 100$ more)

Edited by malfaris

50mm lens is 50mm lens, but 40 is closer to 35 on M9 (known issue for years). So, you are comparing 50mm lens and 35 mm lens.  Very different focal length and what you could do with it. 40 is as universal as 35 on M9, 50 is short tele. IMO.

I have 50 v4 Cron now. Before I had Rigid, Planar 50/2 and Nokton 50 1.5. I simply can't tell if one is better than another in results (on pictures). They are all very different.

One thing you might notice with CV lenses is purple fringing on wide open apertures. They say it is sensor, but I'm not seeing this much of purple fringing with Summilux lenses, even old ones. I guess, they are well corrected by camera fw. 

I have to file my 40 Rokkor-M to bring 35 frames on M-E and it is very hard to take it off. It is this good :). The only lens I might consider to change it and keep it under same budget and weight category is Nokton 40 1.4. :) 

• Like 1