Help needed, even it is not a Leica issue

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hallo Forum,

After a long time, I was checking my basement again. I have found an old AKARETTe (Sn. 229) with a Schneider Kreuznach XENON 1:2 50 (Sn. 20005472). See attached pics.  I have spend hours on the net grabbing for infos. Unfortunately everything stops just at the end of WWII and begins later than 1950. 

I am aware, that is  is N O T a Leica topic, but I appreciate, if there is someone out there, who can help 

Thanks

Millitorr

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Thanks UliWer,

please find enclosed some pics from the camera. 

Millitorr

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

That is an interesting camera. The viewfinder allows viewing for a two lens kit of 50m and 75mm, which seem rather close together.

The manual is available here as a pdf download from here:

http://www.butkus.org/chinon/akarett/akarett_ii/akarette_ii.htm

It states that a 35mm lens was also available and used an accessory viewfinder, while there was also a "near-focussing" attachment that used ground glass.

Nick

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My first 35mm camera was an Arette 1b, same manufacturer but less ambitious camera.

http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Arette

I remember the Isconar lens being pretty ordinary.

There were some interesting German rangefinder cameras then (apart from Leica of course). A friend had a Lordomat and my brother in law an Agfa Ambi Silette. Both pretty solid cameras.

Gerry

One of the most astonishing designs from this time is the TL3 - errr...the Steinheil Casca:

http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Steinheil_Casca

They say, Leitz prevented its distribution saying that it infringed their patents. No it was not the red dot on the model II, but the shutter.

Never seen that before, you can see why Leitz might be worried, pre dates the M3 by a few years. I'm surprised about the shutter, cloth blind focal planw shutters were not unusual even then and they should have been able to get round that surely

Gerry

Thanks to everybody, who has contributed to solve my question.

According to all information, it seems to be an AKARETTE 1 Version 2 dating from 1948 to 49. Interesting feature seems to be the lens from Schneider. It looks that the triangle is missing. XENON lenses from earlier or later production are marked with a white or red one.

Millitorr

Never seen that before, you can see why Leitz might be worried, pre dates the M3 by a few years. I'm surprised about the shutter, cloth blind focal planw shutters were not unusual even then and they should have been able to get round that surely

Gerry

There is a nice write up on the Carl August von) Steinheil CAmera (CASCA) in: "300 Leica Copies", a book by Pont and Princelle, 1990.

• Like 1