Zeiss 28mm F2.8

bozu_shutterbugger

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hope you all are doing well. I searched through this forum and found few topics on Zeiss 28 F2.8 but wasn't able to get the answer I was looking for. If i want to spend 1k on a 28 do you recommend Zeiss 28 F 2.8? 

Fairly new to Leica compared to most of you so I am not geeked out YET. Here is my line up

M10 & M240

Summicron 35

Summilux 50

Elmarit 90

Tri-Elmar 

All your tips appreciated. Hope you are having a nice Weekend. 

I have the same interest.  My opinion is that spending approx. $1,200 for a new Zeiss M-mount 28mm lens and lens shade gives an excellent option over spending $1,600 at my local store for their used Leica 28mm lens (one where the lens hood style leads to the hood constantly falling off).  If I price a new Leica 28mm lens, the cost is at least $1,000 higher than the Zeiss. From what I've read about typical Zeiss lens contrast and sharpness, they are a close substitute over the Leica.

• Like 2

Hope you all are doing well. I searched through this forum and found few topics on Zeiss 28 F2.8 but wasn't able to get the answer I was looking for. If i want to spend 1k on a 28 do you recommend Zeiss 28 F 2.8?

Fairly new to Leica compared to most of you so I am not geeked out YET. Here is my line up

M10 & M240

Summicron 35

Summilux 50

Elmarit 90

Tri-Elmar

All your tips appreciated. Hope you are having a nice Weekend.

The main advantage of the 28mm Elmarit Asph (both versions) over the ZM is size. If the size of the ZM doesn't bother you, then also consider the latest pre-asph 2.8/28 Elmarit. It is also an excellent performer and a similar size to the ZM.

Personally I'd go for another Leica lens, purely because the 1/3rd aperture stops of the ZMs annoy me when used alongside the 1/2 click aperture stops of the Leica lenses. Out of the Leica options, I'd save up and get a used first Asph Elmarit for a little over $1000 because it's smaller.

• Like 3

The Biogon 28mm f/2.8 ZM is quite slow and not very sharp. Moreover, it is an old desing. The Biogons are small and well corrected, because they are symmetrical, but they exhibit a lot of vignetting. For their modern lenses Zeiss uses the Distagon desing (a retrofocus type).

The Biogon 25mm f/2.8 is also slow and also a Biogon - but very sharp. If you do not need speed (e.g. for landscape), than it is a very fine lens.

You also may want to consider the Voigtländer Ultron 28mm f/2.0. It gathers twice as much light as the ZM's and it is tack sharp. However, it is also a symmetrical design and thus also shows significant vignetting. It is a very modern calculation from 2012.

Indeed, the Elmarit is one of the sharpest lenses in the M system and it is unbelievably light and small. It is a perfect hiking and travelling lens.

The most modern, high-speed, very sharp and beautifully rendering 28mm lens is the Summilux 28mm. The Summicron 28mm (new design: 11672, old design: 11604) it also very nice in rendition. But both are out of budget.

I would go for the Elmarit or the Voigtländer Ultron. Because of the speed, I would take the Ultron. There is only one thing that better than light: more light.

• Like 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I don't think what with M10 or even with M240 the f2.8 is going to be an issue. I used huge Elmarit-M 28 2.8 III on M-E and now tiny Orion-15 25 f6. I also had compact Kobalux 28 2.8 on M4-P.

Just as OP, I'm looking to add more modern 28mm lens to my RF lenses. Zeiss 28 2.8 is lovely lens with some retroish and not flat rendering. It doesn't have to be new. If I'm not mistaken, Zeiss is still fixing them once they develop Zeiss wobble and it doesn't cost too much. I'm considering this lens.

Ultron 28 f2 has focus shifts users reports and Ultron 28 1.9 ASPH doesn't have it reported, but it is lens with no "sex appeal". :)

Yet, here is only one thing which is stopping me. I have Summicron 50 and Summarit-M 35 and used to have some non Leica lenses and have some of them now. Some inner, very non practical part of me keeps on saying - sell them all, save for more and get just one Leica lens.

I'm looking at OP lens list and wondering, how come he hasn't got this bug :)

• Like 2

Zeiss Biogon 2,8/28 was the first lens I bought when I went digital with M8. It was cheaper new than a used Leica, and it was available in silver. Some say it is not sharp, but that is not my impression. It is bigger though. But compared to an MFT it is not too bad.

Some pics taken with M9:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

100%:

• Like 2

And another one:

• Like 4

The Zeiss 28 was my first rangefinder lens, purchased with a Zeiss Ikon.  It became the first lens I put on my M9 when that came to the fold, and it really blew me away.  The sharpness is excellent and bokeh is smooth.

I also own the aspheric Elmarit 28 and it's a super lens.  A touch smaller than the Biogon and the bokeh seems creamier, but the handling of the Zeiss is better for me because of the fully knurled focus ring.  I also really like the rendering of the Biogon.  It's really not that much bigger than the Elmarit, either.

The only problem is that this, plus two other Zeiss lenses I own, has developed considerable barrel wobble.  The 28 is the worst, having a gritty and scuffy feeling to the focus ring and nasty scratches inside the focusing helical.  I haven't got around to having it fixed yet because I also have the Elmarit. To be honest, I'd rather shoot the Biogon than the Elmarit due to the handling.

If you can get a good copy of the Biogon, and know where to get it repaired if it develops a wobble, then get one.  It is well worth it.

• Like 1

I have the same interest.  My opinion is that spending approx. $1,200 for a new Zeiss M-mount 28mm lens and lens shade gives an excellent option over spending $1,600 at my local store for their used Leica 28mm lens (one where the lens hood style leads to the hood constantly falling off).  If I price a new Leica 28mm lens, the cost is at least $1,000 higher than the Zeiss. From what I've read about typical Zeiss lens contrast and sharpness, they are a close substitute over the Leica.

Well, this past weekend I found a mint Mandler era Leica Elmarit-M 28mm, made in Canada in 1987, for $795.  First images were super.  Now I have my 28mm.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
15 hours ago, bozu_shutterbugger said:

I actually got bored of that lens lol and came back searching more info about this lens and found my own thread. I should have purchased the Elmarit lol 

I have the Elmarit IV, the latest pre-asph, and it’s fantastic. Cheap as well in Leica world, I paid £850 for mine. Very little intrusion in the viewfinder. The original hood is just silly, I use if I need one a cheap vented wide hood from eBay, bought for the princely sum of £4. It works like a charm, and it’s a lot less cumbersome and intrusive than the original