Thailand with an S (or M9)

Deliberate1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The S(007) is far better at high ISO than the S2 or S(006), I have hardly used my M system since I got the S(007).  High ISO is better than my M(240), it is just that you need a higher shutter speed with the S range plus they have shallower DoF for an angle of view.

john

• Like 1

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

The S(007) is far better at high ISO than the S2 or S(006), I have hardly used my M system since I got the S(007).  High ISO is better than my M(240), it is just that you need a higher shutter speed with the S range plus they have shallower DoF for an angle of view.

john

You ain't kidding there john. The S007 is miles better than the S006 with regards to high ISO. As for shutter speeds, I like to try and shoot at a minimum of 1/500 when using my S120mm Summerlux and 1/250 with my S70mm Summerchrome. With my S30mm I don't worry so much with that as I am nearly always shooting that on a tripod............I'm actually thinking of getting rid of my S30mm as I can just stitch a few frames of either the 120 or 70 to get a better results

Neil

john

John, I am intimately aware of the low light parameters of the CCD sensors in both my digital Leicas (no such problems with my lllc). All one can do is accept the camera (M9/006) with their limitations, and enjoy the remarkable imagery when shooting within their design envelope.

It would be great to have a smaller camera with high ISO capacity as a companion to the S 006. And one that uses Leica lenses. I have looked at the M10 and have put my name on the list for the CL body. I have a bit of M glass (50mm Summicron/Summilux, 35mm Zeiss and 90mm Elmarit-M) which I could adapt to the CL. Seems to me that I would most likely use this box as a walk around and in low light situations when the 006 sensor goes to bed. The CL body is tons cheaper than the M10, even with the adapter. That would be a great alternative to bringing the M9 as a backup to the S 006 on my upcoming trip. But even if one becomes available before I go next month, reading the manual on the plane over is not the best way to start a vacation to what may be a once in a lifetime location. Still, if I get The Call from Leica Miami that there is one with my name on it....

D

• Like 1

John, I am intimately aware of the low light parameters of the CCD sensors in both my digital Leicas (no such problems with my lllc). All one can do is accept the camera (M9/006) with their limitations, and enjoy the remarkable imagery when shooting within their design envelope.

It would be great to have a smaller camera with high ISO capacity as a companion to the S 006.

Although the original M9 based Monochrom offers CCD, compactness and high ISO. Slight issue if you want color.

Jeff

Hey have a nice trip. I lived in Thailand for almost a year and went to university there and loved every minute.

I just wanted to add that you can use and iPhone or iPad to backup. Just get one of those SD to lightning dongles.

• Like 1

Depends on what is important for you............if IQ is important then take the S, if your a wimp take the M :) :) :)

OH!  Neil-D-Williams! I wasn't expecting that one.  Image quality out of a Leica M is pretty damn good.  Missing shots because your bazooka ruins a moment is a pretty damn bad, as is a sore back.  So i'll continue to be a wimp and skulk around with my little M.  Its the perfect traveling companion, its sweet and petite and never overstays its welcome.   I have no problems with bazooka's, they're great for stopping tanks, but I love my little stealthy M.  And my back thanks me too. :rolleyes::o:D

Edited by JohnnySeven