Distance scale goes beyond near limit of 0.7m – is this normal?

evikne

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On my new 50mm Summilux ASPH the distance scale seems to go a little beyond the minimum focus distance of 0.7m. When I turn it maximum the other direction, the middle point is aligned with the infinity sign, as expected.

I have had this lens before, but I cannot remember that it behaved like this. But I am not sure. Is this normal? My 35mm Summilux ASPH FLE stops exactly on 0.7m.

I have tested the lens a little (not very scientific), and I cannot see anything dramatically wrong with the focus in the pictures. But I am still a bit worried. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Same as my Summilux M 50mm ASPH, either both lenses are faulty or completely normal, I think the latter, I have my lens for almost six years now and it always worked well on M cameras.

Checked other M lenses and 35 f1.4 FLE and 75 f1.4 go beyond minimum focus distance but never noticed this engraving anomaly affecting photography.

I suppose ownership of a lens at such premium price entitles owner to expect beyond perfection, memo that is still to reach Leica.

• Like 1

My Lux 50 asph. (serial no. 432xxxx) have the same symptom :)

Even my Crons have it, but less.

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/262199-apo-75-focus-tab-scale-question/?do=findComment&comment=3072175

Love the answer by adan in your thread:

"it just means the lens actually focuses to 0.67 meters or so. Just think of it as a little extra close-up gift from Leica.  ;)"

• Like 3

Lots of times on the short end of the focus scale on lenses, because of the chosen intervals between numbers, there isn't room to engrave the shortest number, so the nearest number in the sequence chosen is engraved, giving a little more room for movement. The important factor is that the additional room and movement couple with the camera's cam. I mention this specifically, as I have an LTM lens by Tanaka which focuses much closer than the shortest marking on the lens, requiring one to actually measure the subject/film plane distance if one wishes to use the additional close focus feature of this lens.

• Like 1