What native lenses should Leica make for the CL/TL?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have all the current lenses for the L mount. As a result I'm looking at culling any other APSC camera systems I have and that got me to thinking what I would be missing.

I'd like to see the following:

* A new faster standard zoom with IS. 16-55 f2.8-4 would be nice.

* A longer zoom, also with IS. Maybe a 55-200 f4?

* A fast portrait lens. Somewhere between 56 and 80mm. F1.2

* A super compact 35 and 60mm (to match the 18 and 23mm)

So what lenses should Leica make? I'm sure Leica already have their plans set in stone. But if you were in charge of lens design for a day, what would you have them make for you?

Gordon

• Like 2

A reasonably sized 50 equivalent. I have and appreciate the 35-TL, but its bulk is significant enough to change the use case for the body. It is frustrating that with all the resources Leica has devoted to its L-mount autofocus systems over the past several years, it has been unable to produce a reasonably sized 50/equivalent in either format. As a long time M + 50 summicron user, I would encourage Leica to remember that not all users see the 50 fov as reserved for introducing oversized benchark lenses, and to instead recall and honor the legacy of the M and 50 summicron. This is the one thing that has most alienated me from Leica over the past few years.

• Like 3

What they already have is actually surprisingly well thought out.  Well, maybe I shouldn't be surprised.  Ultrawide zoom--check.  Ultrawide prime?  Don't really want one.  The slower zoom is just fine--most of the time when I'm shooting an ultra wide I want a fair amount of depth of field.  My only use for a really wide, fast prime would be astrophotography and night scapes, and I'd rather use a full-frame camera for that in order to get the better SNR that comes with larger pixels.  Fast normal lens--check.  Macro--check.  Mid-range kit zoom--check.  Personally, I don't need or want a fast mid-range zoom since the bulk would increase so much I'd just opt for the SL.  OK, so those are some of the items they have covered.  What's missing?

I think an f/1.4 or even f/2 portrait lens would be nice--perhaps a 55mm?

I'd also love to see an image stabilized long-ish zoom.  55-200 would be nice.  F/4 sounds great.  Yes, that lens would be large for a CL, but hopefully they could do something that wasn't the size of the SL's 90-280.

For me, that's probably about it.  

• Like 1

II'd like to see the following:

* A new faster standard zoom with IS. 16-55 f2.8-4 would be nice.

* A longer zoom, also with IS. Maybe a 55-200 f4?

* A fast portrait lens. Somewhere between 56 and 80mm. F1.2

* A super compact 35 and 60mm (to match the 18 and 23mm)

+1.  Additionally a smallish SEM-like 14mm and a reference lens for 23mm (similar to the 35mm).

Whatever lenses they decide on, they should keep them small. One of the unique selling propositions of Leica M lenses superb quality paired with the smallest footprint possible, even with really large apertures. The existing 35 already feels too large for me. Would love a small compact 3.5/12 or thereabouts. Some compact 50 would be nice, too.

• Like 1

As a long time M + 50 summicron user, I would encourage Leica to remember that not all users see the 50 fov as reserved for introducing oversized benchark lenses, and to instead recall and honor the legacy of the M and 50 summicron. 

I tend to shoot most of my photographs at f5.6 - f8.  I prefer the bigger DOF.  One of my favourite 50mm lenses on the M10 is my collapsible Elmarit-M f2.8.  

I would love Leica to come out with a compact sized 50mm equivalent lens for the CL.  

Some really small CL-MF lenses would be cool.

A lux 23mm or 18mm.  The cron and pancake are a little plain rendering for my taste.  

SEM-14, mentioned above, sounds awesome.

Try the Voigtländer Color-Scopar 25 ;) Now that is small. Leica could certainly make something similar for L.

• 1 month later...

Small, light lenses would be great. Maybe they should be APS-C MF lenses with ‘auto’ aperture (keep aperture fully open while focusing, closing to set value when shutter is pressed).

Very much agree. I use my CL with a 35mm pre-asph. Summilux. Would gladly exchange the autofocus bulk for more compact, faster primes. In the meantime, being able to mix 5 M lenses with the Cl, a film M (the MP) and the M9 makes for a very versatile kit.

Can you imagine the size of a 50mm TL nocti? It would weigh 5kg and have a 20cm diameter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't think so; in general the TL lenses are smaller and lighter than comparable M lenses. For instance  the 55-135 TL is only marginally larger than the Apo-Telyt 135 and weighs less - still it is a zoom with AF. It would be a 35 mm Noctilux BTW.