Paint on DOF scale on my APO50 flaking off

jcatral14

?

Can the quality control guy see into the future?

How can he know the pait will come off?

Ok. We are being technical here about who is responsible. What I wanted to say that I will not accept this "quality". You are right that QA guy won't be able to catch it.

Similarly QA guy can't catch loose screws but users should not accept it. I expect Leica to do better.

• Like 1

Might be the kind of paint they have to use now? The white lettering on the back of my M Monochrom began flaking off soon after I got it. There’s barely a scrap left now. On the other hand, the black and red lettering on my 1960 Summaron is perfect.

• Like 1

You can fix it yourself for mere pennies in a couple minutes.

See here.

If you like, I can offer an easy how-to. I have used it for years.

I'd be happy to do my own lettering repair with the repair stick referred to in this post. Unfortunately the product is currently unavailable in white from authorised stockists in the UK.

When the stick arrives its exposed area is hard due to curing, so rub the end on a piece of paper until it softens. That takes less than a minute. Rub the soft (almost mushy) part over the area to be restored so that it sinks into the engraving. It always does that with little effort. Then wipe over the surface to remove all that is not in the engraving. A tissue does the trick. No muss, no fuss. Really

It will gradually harden over a couple days but you can handle it right away.

This is a recent use in white. The original imprint was not visible until treatment.

many thanks for the info - never knew such a thing existed & so simple to achieve a great professional looking effect

I just ordered one at a good shipping rate to Australia

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Lacquer-Stik-Paintstick-Black/401120957438?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

just a further question Pico - how long does the stick last - indefinitely?? or do they "go off" eventually

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The sticks harden over at the used end and this stops further hardening inside, so they can last for years. But for the minimal price of a stick, the ease of use, the puffed out chest that comes with doing something for yourself, I can't imagine why anybody would get so angst ridden over a bit of paint falling off.

Edited by 250swb

When you buy an expensive lens, any blemish causes heartache. Since it's under warranty, just send it to Leica to fix. If out of warranty, Pico's method would be great. It's quite easy to fill in any engraving. Why you might even try a different color, say shocking pink or purple. 

• Like 1

The sticks harden over at the used end and this stops further hardening inside, so they can last for years. But for the minimal price of a stick, the ease of use, the puffed out chest that comes with doing something for yourself, I can't imagine why anybody would get so angst ridden over a bit of paint falling off.

I just tried the white Lacquer Stik on the lettering of my old Summicron 50 (type 3 ) and a Summicron 35 (type 4). Seems to well. It's essentially a crayon. You'll also need the yellow stick if you want to retain the yellow lettering of the feet measurements on the aperture ring, and it will be tricky to get at it without messing up the white. I didn't bother on the 35 cron. It's all white now

Sent from my EVA-L29 using Tapatalk

I just tried the white Lacquer Stik on the lettering of my old Summicron 50 (type 3 ) and a Summicron 35 (type 4). Seems to well. It's essentially a crayon. You'll also need the yellow stick if you want to retain the yellow lettering of the feet measurements on the aperture ring, and it will be tricky to get at it without messing up the white. I didn't bother on the 35 cron. It's all white now

Use a sharp knife to reshape the tip of the lacquer stick to as fine a point as needed— it will get a bit “crumbly” but it is effective.

• Like 1

Use a sharp knife to reshape the tip of the lacquer stick to as fine a point as needed— it will get a bit “crumbly” but it is effective.

Thanks for the...tip. As you guessed, without doing this I couldn't reach the numbers sitting in the narrow recess between focus and aperture rings.

• 4 months later...

Just wanted to update everyone and put closure to this thread.

I took my lens in to LeicaUSA first week of January. They shipped it to Germany mid Feb and I got my lens back March 29. Besides repainting/replacing? DOF scale/barrel, they also fixed aperture ring (loose per paperwork). I sure missed the lens. Took almost 3 months but I'm sure it was done correctly and I'm glad I have it back now.

The lady that helped me (actually, everyone I spoke to) was very nice. The only thing I was wondering about was why it took them over 4 weeks to determine that it needed to go to Germany. Maybe they're overwhelmed or need to hire more techs?

Best,

Jay

Edited by jcatral14