R4s film wind lever sticking?

mrdannertoyou

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello, first post here after lurking for a bit. Forgive me if this has been answered before, but I didn't find this answer.

I just picked up an R4s that seems to function very well, other than a light leak around the film window. But the film advance lever doesn't spring back after winding. All my other film cameras (non-Leica) this lever is spring loaded and pops back when winding film. Is this a defect or is it Leica's design? The owner I bought the camera from said it's how Leica's are designed.

Thanks for any help!

Right.

Do you mean the lever does not spring back at all ?

With my R6.2, R7 and R8 (and I think it was the same with my R4) the lever does not spring back entirely but rests in a "ready-to-rewind position" that is comortable to leave your thumb under the lever and so facilitates quick manual film transport.

This is indeed normal and no faulty function of your R4s.  

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Right.

Do you mean the lever does not spring back at all ?

With my R6.2, R7 and R8 (and I think it was the same with my R4) the lever does not spring back entirely but rests in a "ready-to-rewind position" that is comortable to leave your thumb under the lever and so facilitates quick manual film transport.

This is indeed normal and no faulty function of your R4s.  

Agreed ref the 'ready to rewind position' - both my R5 and M7 behave this way.  As incidentally do my Pentax ME Super and Olympus OM2n...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Nope, it does not spring back at all. It sticks in the fully open position and needs to be pushed back to its initial position. It's not difficult to push back, but there is no spring action at all. The film does advance and I've run two rolls through it successfully (except for ruining the first roll because the film window leaked a lot of light).

I should have done more research before buying from this guy. I don't think he was trying to rip me off, but rather bought the camera used with the film wind lever sticking and thought it was normal. This is my first adventure into Leica, and it's actually for my son for Christmas. He's quite hipster and enjoys and appreciates finer brands. We both shoot film with Minolta and Pentax now, but I wanted to get him something "higher-end" for Christmas. Technically it works perfectly.

I got the R4s and a Summicron 50mm for $500. I do have a body cap, but neither lens cap. Is that a decent price or did I overpay?

Personally I'd think about returning it and buying one that doesn't need repair. They're not exactly rare or expensive and most repairs on an R model are uneconomical these days.

An alternative to putting up with the non returning lever would be to fit a motorwinder, but I'd run a film through the camera first and make sure the shutter and exposure systems are working correctly first.

".......returning it and buying one that doesn't need repair. They're not exactly rare or expensive and most repairs on an R model are uneconomical these days."

Most sensible option. There are plenty of good R bodies available in a reasonable price range. You may consider to keep the 50 Cron if it is in good condition and negotiate a money compensation for the mechanically faulty R4s.

• Like 1