12mm CV

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Don't tell my 15mm but I'm falling in love with the 12mm. Of course I still love the 15mm but have a look at the 12mm picture. Admittedly is nothing special but I just find the details and definition way beyond what I had expected.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Now I will probably also fall in love with my new 75mm CV. I'm such a sl*t...:D.

Kind regards,

Etienne

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Don't tell my 15mm but I'm falling in love with the 12mm. Of course I still love the 15mm but have a look at the 12mm picture. Admittedly is nothing special but I just find the details and definition way beyond what I had expected.

Now I will probably also fall in love with my new 75mm CV. I'm such a sl*t...:D.

Kind regards,

Etienne

Yes, this seems to be an impressive lens. I have the CV 15mm, but am considering the 12mm lens as well. Do you find enough of a field of view difference to warrant owning both?

Yes, this seems to be an impressive lens. I have the CV 15mm, but am considering the 12mm lens as well. Do you find enough of a field of view difference to warrant owning both?

I can only answer that for my style of photography, both lenses compliment each other very well. As you know the difference is not 12 - 15mm but 16-20mm on the M8. This I find enough of a difference to warrant owning both. If I could only own one, I would chose the 15mm.

Hope this answer your question.

Kind regards,

Etienne

Hi Lloyd,

There's a big difference in FOV. Take a look at the examples in the UltraWides review.

Etienne,

There may be little that we can do about your lens promiscuity. Just be sure to use IR protection when needed.

Cheers,

Sean

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Lloyd,

There's a big difference in FOV. Take a look at the examples in the UltraWides review.

Etienne,

There may be little that we can do about your lens promiscuity. Just be sure to use IR protection when needed.

Cheers,

Sean

Haha:D:D

Great comment.

Kind Regards,

Etienne

This is a little bit off topic, but I thought I would raise the question anyway.

I purchased the CV 15 and have been very pleased with it.

I also purchased the Milich LTM adapter, which allows for self coding to that the M8 treats the CV 15 as though it were the Leica WATE lens. I finally found some black nail polish that is really black -- after visiting that temple of femininity known as the lipstick and nail polish isle of my local drug store (males not permitted!).

However, and here is my question, when I insert the CV 15 a menu item pops up and asks me to identify the focal length, just as though it were the WATE lens. So I select 16 mm. However, I have no IR cut filter for this lens yet, so I select coding on the M8 menu, but no IR cut filter. In this latter case, however, I am NOT given the choice of selecting a focal length.

Is the M8 behaving correctly in this instance, or am I having a problem with the M8 or my self-coding. In other words, when I select no IR cut filter, should I be given a choice of focal lengths?

Steve

This is a little bit off topic, but I thought I would raise the question anyway.

I also purchased the Milich LTM adapter, which allows for self coding to that the M8 treats the CV 15 as though it were the Leica WATE lens. I finally found some black nail polish that is really black -- after visiting that temple of femininity known as the lipstick and nail polish isle of my local drug store (males not permitted!).

However, and here is my question, when I insert the CV 15 a menu item pops up and asks me to identify the focal length, just as though it were the WATE lens. So I select 16 mm. However, I have no IR cut filter for this lens yet, so I select coding on the M8 menu, but no IR cut filter. In this latter case, however, I am NOT given the choice of selecting a focal length.

Is the M8 behaving correctly in this instance, or am I having a problem with the M8 or my self-coding. In other words, when I select no IR cut filter, should I be given a choice of focal lengths?

Steve

As of this firmware, that's just how the menu works.

Hi Etienne,

If some day you have some time on your hands would you be so kind as to post two comparison pictures of the 12mm and the 15mm? Same subject, diferent lens, so i can see how much difference the two lenses make.

I'd be very grateful!

Thans,

Hans

Hi Etienne,

If some day you have some time on your hands would you be so kind as to post two comparison pictures of the 12mm and the 15mm? Same subject, diferent lens, so i can see how much difference the two lenses make.

I'd be very grateful!

Thans,

Hans

Hi Hans,

Sorry for the delay and perhaps the uninteresting picture but here, as per your request. Same position, height and angle. The first with the 12mm and second with the 15mm.

Regards,

Etienne

Guest guy_mancuso

Hmmm 12mm seems a little sharper and has a touch more contrast. I have the 12mm now and have to say it is one sweet little lens , no question and my results have been very good with it

Hmmm 12mm seems a little sharper and has a touch more contrast. I have the 12mm now and have to say it is one sweet little lens , no question and my results have been very good with it

Hi Guy.

Agree the 12 is great, though the 15mm certainly holds its own and has less distortion than the 12mm. But I'm glad I've got both.:D

Regards,

Etienne

Guest guy_mancuso

Have to say the funny thing is in the DSLR world it is usually the worst comes out in wide angles. The wider the worse the lenses tend to be and to get a extremely good 15mm you have to look at the leica 15mm 2.8 which is about 5500 used. I had one and it sure was great but look at the price. Now on the M side just the opposite a 350 and 600 lens just awesome for the price and has great performance. And we thought we had it bad but in reality working on the M side you have many cheaper alternatives that perform really well. Something to be said for that

Hi Etienne,

Thanks a lot! That 12mm looks very nice indeed. I always thought there would be less difference and way more distortion, but like you said: the two complement eachother very nicely and (even though it's hard to tell from such a small picture) the thing looks razorsharp.

Now, how about that promise to myself i wouldn't be buying any more M8 related things this year? :o

Hans

Steve

As other have said, firmware really acts like this... and think this is the reason for Leica states that you have always to mount the IR/UV filter on the WATE... maybe this statement is more related to a firmware small bug than to a real tech issue;

BTW, I am in decision phase : EL21 ASPH is my widest at the moment, don't like the money for the WATE..., so CV 15 or 12 to choose from... don't want both... I read with interest any thread on these two... I wish to decide before end of next week.

"If you have the 21mm than i would get the 12mm"....

and what would you get if you'd have a 28mm Elmarit ASPH to combine with? would be the 12mm too much wide on M8?

I already have a 15mm, which is great, but i would like a sharper lens too, and the 12CV looks like that...

regards

Maurizio

MAURIZIO BEUCCI.com - Official web site

Guest guy_mancuso

Besides what we see above , my results from the 12mm are better than the 15mm . I think the 12mm is the sharper lens