Sign in to follow this  
etienne_werner

12mm CV

Guy, thanks for posting... you are driving me towards the 12... I always had thought of 15, simply for said to myself "12 ! TOO WIDE !" but if it's really as good as your pics say... and with M8 is so easy to "crop to 15" when you need...

Now, a pair of practical problems : for the CV 12 (on M8)

1) VF ? can you buy it w/o VF and buy the CV 15 VF alone? Other solutions ?

2) IR/UV filters ? Is there a solution from 3rd party vendor like B&W ?

3) Coding ? a SM/BM adapter (Leitz or CV) hand coded as WATE can be used ?

4) Nothing strange with M8 metering system ?

Sorry, sure somewhere in the forum these problems have been already scrutinized... but I see you make a very good use of it... how have you managed these issues. ?

Guest guy_mancuso

The only issue with the 12mm is the magenta cast even with everything off and no filter you still get some from the sensor glass . Now if your on a PC there is cornerfix that Sandy developed. Also John came up with a nice filter and hood setup but you still will need that cornerfix software. Myself on Mac i have to figure something out to get rid of it.

Now as far as metering and such , no issues there

For a VF you will want a 15mm VF which you can get a Voightlander for about 120 dollars . It comes with a 12mm VF which is too wide. honestly i don't bother with a VF , just treat it as a P&S lens

No i have Johns adpter on there coded for the WATE

Sean may have more info on the 12mm more than me , since he has been testing it and may have some solutions.

Now looking at Etiennes shots there is no magenta so curious as to what he is doing.

I like this lens a lot but would like to solve the magenta with it. John is sending me a new filter hood so been waiting on that to arrive . I glued the orginal hood on and still have yet to rip it off

Now looking at Etiennes shots there is no magenta so curious as to what he is doing.

Hi Guy,

I noticed the magenta corners on your pictures. I take it that you are using the IR cut filter and coded as a WATE? I haven't got any filters on and no coding for the 15mm and the 12mm. All I do is reduce the vignetting in PS ACR. I have been lucky that I haven't had to shot any black texture with these lenses. I should give CornerFix a try as I'm on a PC and it might improve the workflow.

Here an other pix from the same session. I changed the vignetting, some sharpening and tried to adjust the color balance (just got new 24" dell LCD monitor and having difficulty calibrating). Oh yes and I also straightened out the picture. This is something people should be aware off. It is very easy not to have a straight horizon in the picture. You can buy a "spirt level" which makes it easier to level the pix.

Regards,

Etienne

Guest guy_mancuso

Etienne no filters but it is coded , maybe i should not code it at all. that Wate code maybe giving me the problem. i do have another mount untouched , maybe should try that. I may have had the menu item on instead of off. May have to test this out

Etienne no filters but it is coded , maybe i should not code it at all. that Wate code maybe giving me the problem. i do have another mount untouched , maybe should try that. I may have had the menu item on instead of off. May have to test this out

Guy,

Please let me know your findings, as I'm considering John's adapter and filter holder.

Kind regards,

Etienne

Guest guy_mancuso

I will , just waiting on his second adpter setup

For those of you sitting on the fence about buying an M8: This picture was taken a few years ago with a Fuji S3 pro. I used and loved this camera for it's colors and DR...... But compare the resolution and detail of the image to the M8. I'm afraid there is no comparison

Regards,

Etienne

Guy:

DHL tracking no: 22303783250

should arrive today. US postal was quicker, but no ability to track and the PO is a pain.

jm

I find that I get the magenta corners when I have coded the 12mm as the WATE 16 and do not use the UV/IR filter ( meaning I was careless, and the seting for the use of the UV/IR filter was in the On + UV/IR position ). If I go to the Lens Detection : Off setting The magenta goes away. When my new Milich MK II hood for the 12mm arrives, I will test again with the Lens Detection in the ON + UV/IR position. Regards. DR

Guest guy_mancuso

Thanks David , I think that is exactly what i was doingtoo.

John thanks my friend. Hey will be back in NY for 12 days starting the 18th , let's do lunch again.

Hmmm 12mm seems a little sharper and has a touch more contrast. I have the 12mm now and have to say it is one sweet little lens , no question and my results have been very good with it

The 12 isn't actually sharper than the 15 (with good samples of both). I think the focus may be off a bit in the second shot. I tested the heck out of those two lenses and the resolution is quite similar.

Cheers,

Sean

And we thought we had it bad but in reality working on the M side you have many cheaper alternatives that perform really well. Something to be said for that

Absolutely...

Cheers,

Sean

"If you have the 21mm than i would get the 12mm"....

and what would you get if you'd have a 28mm Elmarit ASPH to combine with? would be the 12mm too much wide on M8?

I already have a 15mm, which is great, but i would like a sharper lens too, and the 12CV looks like that...

regards

Maurizio

MAURIZIO BEUCCI.com - Official web site

It's a good lens and a wider lens but it does not have greater resolution than the 15. I say this based on the very extensive testing of both lenses I did for the RF Ultra-wides review.

Cheers,

Sean

Sean may have more info on the 12mm more than me , since he has been testing it and may have some solutions.

Hi Guy,

Based on the testing I've been doing over the past few months, my suggestions for 12 would be:

For BW (only): use an LT-M8 adapter coded as a WATE; use John's filter adapter (without a filter) just for the improved lens hood.

For Color: use any LTM-M adapter and don't code it; use John's filter adapter with a 55 mm IR-cut filter (any of the three major types are fine); create a profile (or profiles) for the lens (with your chosen filter) using Cornerfix and use them to correct both vignetting and cyan drift.

The only snag here is for color photographers who work with Macs. I'm hoping that the suggested Mac version of CornerFix will be created now that the 16-bit Windows version is out. Until then, as Guy and I have discussed, I suggest dedicating an old PC (if one has one) to just doing batching of CV 12 files in Cornerfix.

We're almost there - with respect to the 12 being very usable on the M8 for color work. The last puzzle piece needed is that Mac version.

Cheers,

Sean

Hi Guy,

I'd recommend not coding a 12 unless one is only doing BW work with it.

Cheers,

Sean

Guy,

Please let me know your findings, as I'm considering John's adapter and filter holder.

Kind regards,

Etienne

Grab the filter adapter for both and the LT-M8 for the 15... <G>

Sean

Guest guy_mancuso

I think i will put my uncoded mount on it that John sent me. Might be the best solution

The 12 isn't actually sharper than the 15 (with good samples of both). I think the focus may be off a bit in the second shot. I tested the heck out of those two lenses and the resolution is quite similar.

Cheers,

Sean

Hi Sean,

Well technically the focus wasn't off on the second, rather I focused both between 1-2 meters. Since the 12 mm at f5.6 has more depth of field it seems like the 12 mm is sharper. So in other words, I'm agreeing

with your assessment. I find both rez and sharpness better on the 15mm, especially subjects that are close by.

rgds,

Etienne

Guest guy_mancuso

I need to read Seans review on these ultra wide angles. just have not got around to reading it and need to see some of the Ir filter stuff. i know he has been working on this more than i have on the 12 and 15mm stuff and a lot of answers are there just need to see what he has figured out.

I think i will put my uncoded mount on it that John sent me. Might be the best solution

That's what I would do. Then Cornerfix is the ticket as soon as you dig out the old PC for batch processing or someone releases that Mac version we need.

Cheers,

Sean