Image in focus at infinity but not the patch

stephengv

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leica once mentioned that there were certain M lenses which could not be propery used on digital cameras. It seems that some part of the lens body collided with the RF coupling roller. That kind of problem would be bound to make itself felt close to the infinity setting, as the lens is closest to the sensor when set to infinity.

I don't think that the lenses mentioned at the time included a Summicron, but asking Leica would not hurt in that case. Anyway, if all other lenses can be properly focused, the problem appears to lie with that lens.

• Like 1

For example: I had this problem with my 75 cron. I went to leica NJ. I brought my 35 cron with me as well.

The tech made the adjustment to the camera and explained the film thickness allowed for focal plane tolerance, with digital (having no film) being flat against the sensor the focal plane needs to be more precise. So when the patch and actual are out of alignment it could be either but is usually the Camera that’s out.

Longer lenses tend to have this condition more.

I use the EVF for my 75 (originally for eye sight) but focus is on 100%, why ? Because the EVF provides a view off the sensor, it sees what the sensor sees.

If your near a leica repair facility I believe they can do while you wait.

If you can get your hands on an EVF you could test.

Either way this is a simple and unfortunately common situation

• Like 1