Mount Edgar Thomson, New Zealand

Nick Bedford

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Mount Edgar Thomson, New Zealand from along Mount Cook Road.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6

I created a 27-minute video editing this from scratch in Lightroom, cloning out powerlines in Photoshop, proofing it for print on Ilford Golf Fibre Gloss A3+ paper then a post mortem and a little tour of my lounge room prints.

Edited by nickjbedford
  • Like 1

I love black and white! Just have to pick your battles with it I think and use it for the right kind of compositions where shape and contrast dominates :)

This is the sort of image which could move me more towards liking B&W!

Edited by nickjbedford

Hi Nick,

I’ve been meaning to say to you that the next time you’re in NZ, hire a car and drive out to Milford (a looong drive from Queenstown). Everyone photographs Mitre Peak, and it is very nice, but Burton photographed it in the early 20th century, and few have improved on his images.

But, it’s worth stopping on either side of the Homer Tunnel - truly spectacular, with huge glaciated valleys very similar to Norway, but bigger and closer. Perfect for B&W, and if you hang around it will rain (over 7 metres a year).

Cheers

John

Thanks for the recommendation, John. I looked up that photograph by Burton and it's lovely.

After my Routeburn trek in February, I will be in Milford Sound the next morning for a boat cruise so I'll see what I can pull off before I have to take the bus back to Queenstown for the remainder of my itinerary.

The good thing is that I only live across the ditch so I plan on making New Zealand a regular landscape photography destination :) The west coast of New Zealand will be something I haven't explored yet so it'll be on the todo list.

Hi Nick,

I’ve been meaning to say to you that the next time you’re in NZ, hire a car and drive out to Milford (a looong drive from Queenstown). Everyone photographs Mitre Peak, and it is very nice, but Burton photographed it in the early 20th century, and few have improved on his images.

But, it’s worth stopping on either side of the Homer Tunnel - truly spectacular, with huge glaciated valleys very similar to Norway, but bigger and closer. Perfect for B&W, and if you hang around it will rain (over 7 metres a year).

Cheers
John

Edited by nickjbedford