Thambar-Crazy

lik

Hanapepe Red Diptychs
M-A Thambar-M CS f/4.5 & f/6.3 ADOX Color Implosion
A study of three diptychs using textures and colors from Hanapepe, Kauai.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6

Koloa Cola
M-A Thambar-M CS f/2.4 ADOX Color Implosion

• Like 5

Sueoka Red IV Triptych
M-A Thambar-M CS f/6.3 & APO 50 f/8 (water)
Koloa, Kauai

• Like 6

Bauhaus Notations
M-A Thambar-M CS (f/2.8 - f/6.3) ADOX Color Implosion
Echo of Bauhaus on Kauai (Koloa & Hanapepe)
Bauhaus Happy 100th Birthday

• Like 5

On 8/25/2019 at 1:59 AM, dkmoore said:

Thank you for the explanation. I think I may prefer the original as well judging from pictures I've seen taken with both. I may try to find a copy of the old version.

I bought the new version of the Thambar as the only old versions I could find where either a bit tatty or overpriced. I found it useful to read not only the instructions that Leica give with the new lens,but I found a download of the original leaflet which I found more useful. Worth reading before you buy.Once you either buy or borrow a lens and experiment with it,a lot of the mysteries of this lens unravel.

9 minutes ago, ianman said:

Brian, would you mind sharing the link or file?

Thanks.

That would be ok. At the moment I am on holiday in the English Lakes and unless I have the info hidden on my iPad I need to access it via my iMac. 

Leica Literature 29
soft-focus lens THAMBAR
F12.2of90mmfocus
LEITZ. INC.• 730 FIFTH AVE.
NEW YORK. N. Y.

Leica Literature
Soft-focus delineation involves a combination of two distinct effects. It does not entail sacrificing the sharp outlines of a photographic image; but it does imply, first, that the contrasts of the subject are moderated, and secondly, that a "sunny" impression is produced in the picture.
Optical Effect on Subject Contrast. Every photo­ graphic lens reduces to a greater or lesser extent the contrasts present in the object. While objects with extremely strong contrasts may show differences of intensity of 1000: 1 and more, pictorial negatives may show contrasts of 100: 1 and
perhaps even more, if the loss in contrast due to the lens is kept within narrow limits by virtue of suitable computation. But such negatives can never be printed or enlarged directly with­ out losing tone rendering in the highest lights and the deepest shadows, since the photographic paper ,cannot reproduce a contrast of light values exceeding 20:1 or at the most 30:1.
The essential characteristic of the soft-focus lens is that certain aberrations - notably the chromatic and spherical aberrations - are deliberately left incompletely corrected, in order to produce a marked degree of reduction of contrast. The residual chromatic errors which were formerly principally
used for this purpose have the disadvantage that the soft­ focus effect depends uncontrollably on the color sensitivity of the type of film used (orthochromatic or panchromatic), and for this reason the employment of residual spherical aberration
was preferred for the Thambar lens brought out by Leitz.
Influence on the Character of the Picture.
If it is desired to obtain a "sunny" appearance in the photographic picture it is essential that the degree of diffusion obtained by virtue of the residual errors in the objective at first diminishes very rapidly outwards, and then further diminishes rather more slowly. For fundamental
reasons this effect is only to be obtained if the diffusion is
brought about at the time of exposure in the camera. In the case of true soft-focus effects achieved by the use of a soft-focus lens at the time of the exposure, the highlights diffuse into the shadows. but in the case of diffusion later, during enlarging, the shadows encroach upon the highlights and produce a very unnatural impression. Again, while true soft - focus definition gives highlights which remain perfectly clean and shadows which are lightened by the diffusion, in such a way as to impart the desired sunny appearance to the picture, the highlights become degraded by subsequent diffusion so that the print is actually given a gloomier appearance. With true soft-focus definition the intensity of the diffused "halo" falls off rapidly at first, so that the contours of the object remain sharpi but with subsequent diffusion the drop in intensity is at first very small and the contours are therefore blurred. Soft-focus definition, however, does not mean unsharpness. Soft-focus devices should therefore be used only at the time of exposure.
With the 90 mm F/2.2 Thambar, as already mentioned, the diffusion results from the retention of residual spherical aberration (zonal aberration). In this way not only is the variation of the degree of diffusion with the color sensitiv­ ity of the film avoided, but there is the further great advantage that the degree of diffusion can always be controlled, simply and exactly, by adjustment of the iris diaphragm. Moreover, the fact that spherical aberration is not entirely eliminated makes it possible to obtain a compar­ atively simple type of construction with the very large aperture of F/2.2, so that the price of the Thambar is considerably lower than would be possible for a lens of similar focal length and aperture giving critical definition. An important advantage of this lens over the combination of an anastigmat with soft-focus attachment accrues from this fact.
)
Leica Literature 31

Leica Literature
Leica Literature
The degree of soft-focus effect can be exactly controlled by means of the iris diaphragm; the further this is opened, the greater the part taken by the marginal rays, which produce the diffusion, in the formation of the image. In order to eliminate a part of the axial rays, which provide the sharp basic image, and thus increase the degree of diffusion, an additional central diaphragm can be screwed into the front of the lens mount. The soft-focus effect is at a maximum, therefore, with the iris diaphragm fully opened and with the central diaphragm screwed in. In this case the central diaphragm decreases the effective aperture of the lens to F/2.3, a fact which is indicated by a corresponding red figure on the scale of apertures. The effect with the iris diaphragm fully opened and the central diaphragm screwed out is somewhat less marked. In this case the full aperture of F/2.2 is reached, and this is indicated by a white figure on the aperture scale. As the iris diaphragm is closed down the soft-focus effect constantly decreases; yet, in order to ensure a uniform quality of definition over the whole image area, the central diaphragm should be screwed in place when the lens is used at any aperture between F/2.3 and F/ 6.3. For this reason the apertures 3.2 - 4.5 - 6.3 are marked in red only (red scale figures mean: effective aper­ ture with the central diaphragm screwed in). If the iris diaphragm is closed down further than F/ 6.3, then the definition is sharp over the whole picture area, so that the central diaphragm is then unnecessary. At small apertures it should, in fact, be screwed out, in order to permit uniform exposure of the whole image area. Hence the aperture numbers from F/9 downwards are marked only in white (white figures mean: effective aperture without central diaphragm).
From the above it is obvious that the larger the lens aper­ tUre used the more marked is the diminution of contrast. But the width of the diffusion "halo" also increases at the
larger openings of the iris diaphragm. Therefore, in practical work with the soft-focus lens it is important to consider the various points which affect an artistically satisfying rendering of the subject. These considerations concern the range of contrast of the object, and with it the degree of reduction
of contrast which is necessary, as well as the permissible intensity of the "halo".
A large range of contrast in the subject calls for a marked degree of subduing of the contrast; but the extent to which the iris diaphragm may be opened to achieve this depends on the intensity of "halo" that can be tolerated, bearing in mind that the "halo" itself becomes the more conspicuous
the greater the contrast of the object and the greater the aperture used. In the construction of the new lens special consideration has been given to avoiding as completely as possible any tendency to excessive 'and inartistic diffusion
"haloes". It must, however, be remembered that very intense "haloes", such as may occur with objects under extremely hard lighting taken at the full opening of the iris diaphragm, fail to give a "sunny" effect but merely produce a picture that is obviously unsharp.
On the other hand, with objects having a small range of contrast, the diminution of contrast by means of the soft­ focus lens must not be carried too far, since the result would be pictures much too weak in contrast, giving a poor, washed-out effect.
To summarize the rules for the use of the Thambar lens: 1. Marked diminution of contrast is obtained
a) with intense" haloes" at large apertures (F /2.2- F/3.2 with the central diaphragm screwed in) using films of medium gradation;

Leica Literature
b) with moderate "haloes" at medium apertures (F/3.2 - 6.3) with the use of supplementary means of reducing the contrast.
2. Slight diminution of contrast is obtained
a) with complete absence of perceptible "halo" at small apertures (with the lens stopped down to F/9 Or lower and with the central diaphragm screw­ ed out) with the use of films of medium gradation;
b) with perceptible "halo" at medium apertures (F/ 3.2 - F16.3) with the use of supplementary means
of increasing contrast, such as films of steep grad­ ation and forced development.
To become familiar with the use of the soft-focus lens, it is advisable to start by making comparat<ive exposures of .a number of objects, each at different apertures and under different lighting, and also using films of hard and of soft gradation, in order to obtain an idea of the degree of
diffusion, the amount of contrast reduction and the intensity of the "haloes" produced. With this knowledge it will easily be possible to find the correct aperture and the most suitable film for any object under any lighting conditions.
With a soft-focus lens, which at no point gives a critically sharp picture, the depth of focus is to some extent arbitrary, since the definition of depth of focus given in the Leica Tables is no longer valid. It is, however, well known that, by subjective judgment, the apparent depth of focus obtained
with soft-focus lenses is much greater than the actual depth
of focus with an anastigmat lens of the same focal length
and aperture. Therefore, in the use of soft-focus lenses, it is
of special importance to seek a quiet and unobtrusive background.
I~or
f focus tables for the Thambar lens. However, since this
Leica Literature 35
the above reasons it is not possible to drawn up depth
illns gives critical definition at smaller apertures than F/6.3, Ihe tables for the 9 cm. Elmar can be used when the lens I~ stopped down to F/9. The greater extent of the depth of locus with this lens does not, however, absolve from the necessity of obtaining exact focus on the object to be taken, specially since, as has been repeatedly emphasized, soft­ Iless of delineation has nothing in common with unsharp­ ness. It is, however, only possible with great difficulty to carry out the focusing adjustment of a soft-focus lens on a diminutive focusing screen, so that in this respect the coup­ I,)d range-finder of the Leica is of the greatest significance.
When enlarging soft-focus negatives the judgment of the harpest focus of the enlarging lens is a matter of some difficulty. Yet it is in no way necessary to abandon the use !Jf soft-focus lenses for the making of miniature negatives, liS has been supposed by certain writers. Even with ordinary tmlarging apparatus it is easy to get over the difficulty by (ocusing preliminary to the desired scale of enlargemp.nt
tJsing a sharp test negative and then replacing the test negat­ Ive by the soft-focus negative. But it is even simpler to effect (he enlarging of soft-focus negatives by the use of automatic
nlarging apparatus (such as the Focomat), with which a preliminary adjustment of focus once and for all on the
nstallation of the apparatus is all that is necessary.
leitz uThambar" F/2.2, 90 mm
Chromium - plated scale; image angle 7°; weight 171/2 ozs. j complete with
centre stop
Leather case (with shoulder-strap) Eqoot
Tood,

Leica Literature
E. LEITZ, INC., 730 FIFTH AVE.• NEW YORK, N.
BRANCHES:
Washington, DC., Detroit, Mich., Chicago,
AGENTS:
for Western States:
for Cuba:
Spindler &Sauppe, San Francisco and Los Angeles, Calif.
Caribbean Chemical Co., Havana, Cuba
October 1937 ! 2500 U. S. A. Printed in Germany List Photo No. 7675 Gebr. Leipscher, W

This is the text from the original Thambar instruction leaflet.

Hi 

Not sure if I understand your post correctly ref reposting but if you click on susie’s original post the thread will expand. This gives the opportunity to add to the original tread or just download the pdf from M9remo,s first post which contains the pdf. He makes some interesting comments about the original cost of the Thambar.

I trust I interpreted you comments correctly,if not no offence meant.

On 8/27/2019 at 3:10 PM, BrianP said:

This post from 2014 gives some interesting facts about the original Thambar.It also contains the complete pdf file of a write up of the original leaflet.

Unfortunatly the pdf file contained in the above thread of the original Thambar leaflet has become corrupted and no longer works. If any of the contributors to this thread would like a copy please pm me your email address and I will send a working copy of the pdf file. When I get home in about 10 days and have access to my iMac I will attempt to attach the file to a post in this thread.

Vented II

Color field study with "toxic" implosion.

• Like 4

OPE

• Like 5

On 8/23/2019 at 9:45 AM, dkmoore said:

I’ve been thinking about buying the Thambar to experiment. Am I understanding correctly that all photos taken with the Thambar new version will have the halo affect/everything sort of blurry?

i like the results Milan got with the old version much better then the ultra blurry shots I see from the latest copy. Is that simply stopping down aperture or is the newer version unable to snap out of the blur?  

the effect occurs only when the lens aperture is opened up. Most pronounced at 2.2 and nearly gone by 6.4. You have to experiment with it.. Takes a while but very rewarding.

• Like 1

FlatWal
M-A Thambar-M CS f/2.8 E100

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

SL + Thambar. Taken in an avenue of hazels. Tricky finding a place with no sunlight spots on the face.

• Like 8