Thambar-Crazy

lik

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Also Thambar, more focussed ... somehow sharp, but low contrast.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Arrow
  • Like 1

Leica m240 with the LTM Thambar 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Arrow said:

the point of this lens is the low contrast, unsharp, glowy rendering capacity, when needed

I think that stating that the Thambar is unsharp is doing it a disfavour. If you focus correctly, the image is sharp, even if when opened up, optical aberrations add a certain and controllable layer of haziness. 

But IMHO this should not give free rein to miss focus. A poorly focused photograph is going to look exactly like that... poorly focused, whether taken using a Thambar or a Super Duper Apsh APO.

• Like 1

Here is an example of the onions shot using a tripod at f9 without center filter. The lens can be sharp 😎

Edited by Arrow
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Rider in the snow ...

• Like 14

Advertisement (gone after registration)

having fun driving in deep snow ...

• Like 4

It resembles the look of photographs from the 1930s.

I believe the pricing is to not distort the value of the vintage Thambars circulating in Europe, in the US and in Japan, rather than to make the look more affordable or to reflect cost.

When the Voigtländers LTM and later the current generation of Summarits came out, I did not understand either. Back then in my area I could find plenty of second-hand M-lenses in any condition, including mint or near mint.

At least enthusiasts in emerging markets, with no vintage inventory, now can just order new from the catalogue.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Peter Zapp said:

I believe the pricing is to not distort the value of the vintage Thambars circulating in Europe, in the US and in Japan, rather than to make the look more affordable or to reflect cost.

Why would Leica care about disrupting the market for vintage Thambars?

I question the need for a £5200 Thambar, when I can do this with a £500 1958 50mm/f1.5 Summarit - and this is before cleaning and servicing. Now the Summarit is not a very easy lens to use and you have to be careful to avoid flare and veiling glare, with light direction and a large hood but of course, the Thambar is not an easy lens either. I should have my father's original Thambar but sadly, my mother either gave it away or threw it out after he died. 

Wilson

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

one more of the old Thambar in LTM mount, every time i shoot with this lens i discover it's magic...

• Like 8

7 hours ago, pico said:

Is not the Thambar lens really one f*cked-up design promoted as virtue

A while ago, I gave a talk on aesthetic innovation and the role of breeches of symmetry as a decisive development factor in the arts. That is precisely what the Thambar does provide. It breaches the symmetry of what is commonly associated with, and expected, within a representational photographic concept. Yes, the breech of representational symmetry is, indeed, the Thambar´s virtue.

Having said that, when I first came across the Thambar and its pictorial results, my instant reaction was: what utter kitsch 👻

That circumstance provides for the aesthetic challenge! 😎

Edited by Arrow
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Arrow said:

A while ago, I gave a talk on aesthetic innovation and the role of breeches of symmetry as a decisive development factor in the arts. That is precisely what the Thambar does provide.  😎

I can appreciate that. For years I entertained the idea that a symmetric object is interesting when its symmetry is broken because deviation indicates a history. In that regard a crushed soda can evinces a history, inferred events.

1 hour ago, pico said:

I can appreciate that. For years I entertained the idea that a symmetric object is interesting when its symmetry is broken because deviation indicates a history. In that regard a crushed soda can evinces a history, inferred events.

Splendid! That is a very good example of the difference between the concepts of quiddity (Aquinas) and haecceity (Scotus) in the context of individualisation and creation of meaningfulness of the outerwise ephemeral or mundane entity.

Edited by Arrow
  • Thanks 1