Thambar-Crazy

lik

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Although I'm itching to play with this lens more, I haven't had a lot of time recently. Here are a few - of some of my cousins - in very low light.

M9, Thambar (1935 version)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

Hello Milan

Very pleased with the way the article came out and your work. I hope you all enjoy it.

Milan's article is in the current issue of the LHSA Viewfinder journal in the mail now.

I became aware of Milan's work here on LUF, and invited him to contribute an article for our publication. I worked with him on this, and you can see the results through the link provided above.

As the Viewfinder editor, please feel free to contact me if you would like to contribute articles on Leica subjects to the Viewfinder.

Bill Rosauer

• Like 4

Agree, it does show what’s not there with a normal lens. And she didn’t make an attempt to smooth things out in the processing. Just worked with her lighting.

Camera and lens? A Pentax K100D APSC DSLR with the kit zoom lens.

Thanks for allowing the diversion. :-)

It’s down to personal taste. I prefer your daughter’s photo to any of the broadly comparable Thambar photos.

I seems to get things right in being a good contemporary photo that nicely acknowledges rather than tries to replicate a style from the past, and there’s value and interest in that.

• Like 1

Peter,

You've made your views on pictures from the Thambar quite clear and those of us who appreciate Thambar pictures have shown that we understand, accept, and respect your view.  Perhaps it's time for you to accept and respect other forum members' views as differing from your own and move on from this thread so that this negative bell is not continually chiming in the distance.

Pete.

• Like 3

Peter,

You've made your views on pictures from the Thambar quite clear and those of us who appreciate Thambar pictures have shown that we understand, accept, and respect your view.  Perhaps it's time for you to accept and respect other forum members' views as differing from your own and move on from this thread so that this negative bell is not continually chiming in the distance.

Pete.

I had stopped commenting for this very reason, but this was a new perspective offered by another member which I wanted to respond to.

I have no wish to spoil anyone’s enjoyment.

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The first real sun since I got the Thambar.

Time to get some everlasting Edwardian summer shots.

SL + Thambar, no filter, wide open.

Nice of the little girl to run in front of me just as I was getting ready.

In the sun, whites really blow out too much.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 12

Taken outside Kings College Chapel - I could hear the wedding music being played inside. The staff are pouring the champagne too soon - it will be warm by the time the guests come out.

I call these my Jack Vettriano images.

SL + Thambar, no filter.

• Like 6

Kings College Chapel

The first one: SL + Thambar, no filter, about f/6.3, at closest focus.

The second one, for comparison, M9 + Hektor 7.3cm, about f/4, taken in 2014 (colours are a bit saturated on the stonework).

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 10

Strangely interesting lens!  I really dislike the majority of Thambar images that have been posted on this thread, yet there are some that I like very much and I keep returning to look at them because there is a quality that cannot be ignored or dismissed and goes deeper than the recognisable character of the lens. 

I'm not commenting on anyone's photographic ability, my comments are purely directed at the 'Thambarness' (this word has found it's way permanently into the Leica lexicon) and how the outcome is affected and influenced by factors that are not recorded, or even a consideration when using most 'ordinary' Leica lenses. 

The only other way to use 'sunlight' to soften an image and introduce glowing softness that I can think of is to click on a preset of that name in Colour Efex Pro. That, of course, is not photography and the outcome is invariably crap, just as some extreme examples of 'Thambarness' are here, but the addictive thing about looking at these Thambar images is that the lens itself is saying it has something amazing up it's sleeve.  

When it all comes together someone, somewhere, is going to create art with this lens and I'm looking forward to seeing it.  Especially on film.

• Like 6

My lesson from today's shots is that anything white in sunlight will flare/glow excessively when wide open.

I used the SL rather than the M240 because I wanted to see the effects live of bright sunlight at different apertures. Unfortunately the bright halos you get around white objects are difficult to see even on the SL's EVF, but are immediately obvious on a monitor. 

The forecast is good for the next week so I shall get the opportunity to try to achieve more subtle effects.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 3

Paul, your first two from today are exactly what I was hoping for from the Thambar for this type of shot. They really look great.

But are you sure they were taken at f/2.2?

Personally I think the second one (with the couple and the willows) would look even better in B&W.

• Like 1

Paul, your first two from today are exactly what I was hoping for from the Thambar for this type of shot. They really look great.

But are you sure they were taken at f/2.2?

Personally I think the second one (with the couple and the willows) would look even better in B&W.

I just checked - the SL, FWIW, thinks they were f/2.2 and f/2.4 respectively. 

I really wanted to stick to colour today, given the sunlight. The grass in that second one was excessively green, so I reduced yellow/green saturation a bit (as I often do) - I'm not sure I got it right. (I like the colour and detail in the willows though).

• Like 2

Another one, taken around the same time & place (Coe Fen, central Cambridge)

SL + Thambar, f/2.2, no filter.

• Like 4

Meanwhile a few landscapes from across the pond..... in southern Connecticut...

F2.6-3.4 with CSF w/o any corrections...

Albert  :D  :D  :D

Edited by albertknappmd
  • Like 9

another....

• Like 7

I've no doubt that there are better value options for the kind of landscapes that I want to use this lens for but I like the low contrast and generally uncorrected (by modern standards) look that you get around F5.6 or so.

North Cliffs near Portreath. No filter.

27596271408_638fd3f4a6_b.jpg

Edited by wattsy
  • Like 4