Thambar-Crazy

lik

I tested the new Thambar-M 

Elegance is the only beauty that never fades - 

A pity about the hair. Do you find the highlights even more difficult to control with this lens (I owned the Monochrom for many years so I know how unforgiving that camera can be)? The more I see from this lens the more I'm itching to try it with film.

Edited by wattsy
  • Like 1

I added this hair light on purpose I love the subtle contrast and highlights in the hair. The face of course can't be overblown.  Thank you all for your feedback.

I didn't notice the hair - I was drawn straight to those infinitely-deep eyes and never returned.

Pete.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

SL, f/2.2, no filter.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6

SL, f/2.2, no filter.

• Like 11

SL, f/2.2, no filter.

• Like 9

And one stopped down a little bit, no filter.

• Like 9

Finally had a little play with a Thambar-M in the Leica Mayfair shop (they now have a demo lens available). I was in there for another reason so only spent 5 minutes or so with the lens but it was largely what I expected – a beautiful mechanical object with a functional quality that I'm still completely unsure about. A surprisingly long focus throw too (though I quite like that). I'll certainly try it again at a future date (for longer and with film).

With centre filter and at around F2.8. M 240.

40005167924_a92b774cb9_b.jpg

Edited by wattsy
  • Like 11

Decided to put my money where my mouth is. :D With the onset of spring, the availability of a modest discount to RRP and a possible price rise next month, I thought "what the hell".

The obligatory test shot. Probably around F4, maybe F5.6 (it's difficult to tell because the white numbers run out half way around the aperture ring) and without the filter.

40748446242_a9d1e1192f_b.jpg

Edited by wattsy
  • Like 7

Decided to put my money where my mouth is. :D With the onset of spring, the availability of a modest discount to RRP and a possible price rise next month, I thought "what the hell".

That's the way to do it :-) I'm looking forward to seeing your results. I hope I hate them!! 

• Like 3

I tested the new Thambar-M 

Elegance is the only beauty that never fades - 

the Old Hollywood Glam series. Concept and photo by Milan Swolfs Photography model/mua Fay Loren 

Leica MM (CCD) with Thambar-M 90mm f/2.2

attachicon.gif28234880_10156392832140827_6095397104158721265_o.jpg

Can you give us specifics, f stop and w or w/o front filter?

Great shot!

Albert  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

The obligatory test shot. Probably around F4, maybe F5.6 (it's difficult to tell because the white numbers run out half way around the aperture ring) and without the filter.

40748446242_a9d1e1192f_b.jpg

Congratulations!   Look forward to seeing how you interpret it.

• Like 1

I largely bought this lens for taking photos of wild flora. Used on the Macro adaptor and at a mid aperture it becomes the world's most expensive normal looking "macro" lens. :o

This is Coltsfoot, a member of the daisy family that flowers before the leaves appear. I have been looking out for it for a week or so now in a spot where I know it grows. It was a little late this year but it's here now so spring might have finally arrived. As a sidenote, I took a number of photos using an M 240 and blew the exposure of the yellow virtually every time. I had forgotten just how sensitive digital is when it comes to flower photography. I wish my M-A had an EVF I could use to focus the Thambar on the Macro Adaptor. I will have to experiment to see if I can work out how accurately it works with the adaptor using the RF and whether there might be a consistent compensation I can apply.

25933013767_1a8c937d15_b.jpg

Edited by wattsy
  • Like 7

Does anyone know the logic of omitting the white aperture numbers between F2.6 and F9, other than staying true to the original (which I think also does this)? Not being very bright sometimes I have been guessing the aperture when in this range (I don't use the centre filter) but, looking at the aperture scale again, I guess the red numbers F3.2, F4.5 and F6.3 are equivalent to F2.8, F4 and F5.6 respectively. :) With the M 240 this information hasn't really mattered because I've been chimping the exposure but for film use (without in-camera metering) I need to know the aperture a bit better for exposure purposes.