CL bag and strap thread

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes, this is the thread we've all been waiting for!

The way I see it is, the CL is the camera to carry everywhere you are not going out to take photographs - the best camera, because it is always with you. Work, social, dinner etc. So it has to be light, it has to travel light, and it can't always travel on its own in its own photo bag. This being Cambridge, it has to travel by bike as well.

CL+60mm lens inside Crumpler Haven Small, inside Ortlieb Large Commuter, which is my bicycle pannier waterproof briefcase/messenger bag. A&A silk wrist strap.

I tried this combination with the M240, but often left it behind because it was too heavy. With the CL I don't notice the weight, and there's space left for folders, tablet/laptop etc.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1

Yes, this is the thread we've all been waiting for!

+1 & finally!

For those happy with protection only, the Lowepro Munich 100 keeps the CL and a lens with the length up to (and including) the 75mm Summilux-M (80mm long; or about 90mm with the M-to-L adapter). For small(er) lenses, the body+lens sits in the bag sideways, for larger lenses the camera sits with the lens down. The latter configuration is somewhat tight, but it works. The mentioned bag is discontinued, but it is still available on the net. Nothing fancy, but fine if you bring the lens in your daily back-pack or similar.

Looked to duplicate my Q's Artisan and Artist black acrylic wrist strap, but it looks as though they are hard to find (at least in the UK). Cheapskates will find that the grip for the Q is 100% compatible with the CL, although one with a different part number is also listed (L19507). Personally I was shocked to unbox my new CL and find it so light and small in the hands. No-one else has criticised this but I keep pressing the right control button rather than the more forwardly set shutter release. I don't find the CL haptics suit me and frankly I was tempted to sell at a loss but will, I think, keep on the basis of image quality with M lenses.

Looked to duplicate my Q's Artisan and Artist black acrylic wrist strap, but it looks as though they are hard to find (at least in the UK). Cheapskates will find that the grip for the Q is 100% compatible with the CL, although one with a different part number is also listed (L19507). Personally I was shocked to unbox my new CL and find it so light and small in the hands. No-one else has criticised this but I keep pressing the right control button rather than the more forwardly set shutter release. I don't find the CL haptics suit me and frankly I was tempted to sell at a loss but will, I think, keep on the basis of image quality with M lenses.

The Q handgrip is the same as the CL handgrip?  

The Q handgrip is the same as the CL handgrip?  

100% compatible although CL lists model  number L19507 (vs 19505 for Q). There must  be a tiny dimensional change but fit is perfect – and makes a big difference to handling the camera, as well as offering some protection to camera base.

• Like 2

Well my CL is on order - Leica Aus have no idea when it will arrive.

Bag wise, I'm thinking of selling my Ona Bowery and getting their new The Crosby bag.  As a daily carry-everywhere bag the bowery concerned me as the rear pouch has no zip, I've had the buckle get unbuckled and fall off the front (user error i must say) and well, with no zips I'm worried I'll lose my phone or something valuable will slip out of it.

ona_crosby_antique_cognac_front_strap2_l

https://www.onabags.com/the-crosby.html?color=antique-cognac

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well my CL is on order - Leica Aus have no idea when it will arrive.

Bag wise, I'm thinking of selling my Ona Bowery and getting their new The Crosby bag.  As a daily carry-everywhere bag the bowery concerned me as the rear pouch has no zip, I've had the buckle get unbuckled and fall off the front (user error i must say) and well, with no zips I'm worried I'll lose my phone or something valuable will slip out of it.

ona_crosby_antique_cognac_front_strap2_l

https://www.onabags.com/the-crosby.html?color=antique-cognac

Maybe something like this? Available locally :)

100% compatible although CL lists model  number L19507 (vs 19505 for Q). There must  be a tiny dimensional change but fit is perfect – and makes a big difference to handling the camera, as well as offering some protection to camera base.

Well I got my CL today and took off the grip from the Q.  It is compatible but it is not identical.  It is shorter on the left side of the bottom (looking at the camera back) by about 1/8 inch and longer on the right side of the bottom by a smaller fraction of an inch. It is also slightly wider front to back on the bottom as well. While I would not consider it a tiny difference, it can be used, and I am going to do that until the CL grip becomes available.

• Like 2

Well I got my CL today and took off the grip from the Q.  It is compatible but it is not identical.  It is shorter on the left side of the bottom (looking at the camera back) by about 1/8 inch and longer on the right side of the bottom by a smaller fraction of an inch. It is also slightly wider front to back on the bottom as well. While I would not consider it a tiny difference, it can be used, and I am going to do that until the CL grip becomes available.

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/279077-handgriff-cl/?p=3401356

Some pics of the CL with Q-grip attached. 

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/279077-handgriff-cl/?p=3401356

Some pics of the CL with Q-grip attached. 

Here are pictures as requested.  As you can see, it "fits" but it is not an exact match.

• Like 1

So much of my bumming around now happens on motorcycle or bicycle, I went and bought the Peak Design Sling 10L and 5L bags. The 5L is just right for the M-D and two/three lenses along with iPad Pro 9x7 (although that's a snug fit); it will fit the CL easily too. The 10L will fit up to the iPad Pro 12.3" (or MacBook Air 13"!) and I can stuff the SL with the 24-90 and a second lens in there too; it also has straps to carry a tripod. Both these bags have the slip-adjust strap so they cinch up snug when I'm riding and the gear sits in the middle of my back without flopping around, then drop down fast and nice for access. The 5L also has a tricky catch on the strap so I can use it like a butt bag, waist bag, or (heavens, they don't like the term...) fanny pack. That's great for the motorcycle too. 

It's good to have carrying options again. One of the reasons I haven't been shooting as much is because I'm on one of the two wheelers about 80% of the time these days and I haven't had a decent way to carry gear that I can get in and out of quickly. My bicycle backpack works with a small padded pouch for the M-D, but it's so inconvenient I end up not carrying the camera at all. Hopefully these will help. The biggest PITA is carrying the camera gear as well as my U-lock for the bicycle ... That's why I needed the 10L too, because the 5L carries all the other gear I'd normally want. I may well re-fit the rack I took off my bike just to carry the U-lock ... Seems a shame, but I can't figure any other way to carry it without having to use either a backpack or the larger Sling bag. 

I don't like grips. The CL would/will get one of my spare Street Straps. Done. :)

.............................The biggest PITA is carrying the camera gear as well as my U-lock for the bicycle ... That's why I needed the 10L too, because the 5L carries all the other gear I'd normally want. I may well re-fit the rack I took off my bike just to carry the U-lock ... Seems a shame, but I can't figure any other way to carry it without having to use either a backpack or the larger Sling bag. 

I don't like grips. The CL would/will get one of my spare Street Straps. Done. :)

My cycle U-lock (Abus, which is high rated) stores in a clamp on the frame while riding. Although the clamp can be unbolted from the frame, the U-lock is locked into the clamp, so can't be casually stolen, and it doesn't rattle or get in the way. Worth a look?

• Like 1

My cycle U-lock (Abus, which is high rated) stores in a clamp on the frame while riding. Although the clamp can be unbolted from the frame, the U-lock is locked into the clamp, so can't be casually stolen, and it doesn't rattle or get in the way. Worth a look?

I have an Abus U-lock ... but unfortunately there's no place it and its mount will fit on my bike's frame. 

Yesteday I was thinking about this problem and realized that another type of lock would be suitable: the Abus Bordo Granit-X Plus 6500 is a link-style foldable lock with a carrier that will strap onto the lower end of the seat post, at the rear of the frame's triangle. Or it will slip into a small bag... It's not quite as secure as the U-lock, but will serve for my needs.

Now I can carry a smaller load including camera and iPad in the Sling 5L (for M-D and CL sized cameras). :D

Edited by ramarren
  • Like 1

... the Abus Bordo Granit-X Plus 6500 is a link-style foldable lock with a carrier that will strap onto the lower end of the seat post, at the rear of the frame's triangle. Or it will slip into a small bag... ...

From Abus there are some holders for the U-Lock available, which let you fix them to the rear carrier.

I have the foldable lock twice, one on my bike and one on the bike of my wife on our tours. We can strap it somewhere onto the frame, but mostly we put it easily into one of our bags. Big advantage is, that one can put them together to get a much longer lock! So we can lock both bikes to a pole or sth else

So I have my Ortlieb handlebar bag free for camera, phone and purse. In the small Ortlieb a Q fits easily, so a Cl may be not a problem. I have to test it because we will head to next bike trip in early 2018.

Edited by AndreasB

From Abus there are some holders for the U-Lock available, which let you fix them to the rear carrier.

I have the foldable lock twice, one on my bike and one on the bike of my wife on our tours. We can strap it somewhere onto the frame, but mostly we put it easily into one of our bags. Big advantage is, that one can put them together to get a much longer lock! So we can lock both bikes to a pole or sth else

So I have my Ortlieb handlebar bag free for camera, phone and purse. In the small Ortlieb a Q fits easily, so a Cl may be not a problem. I have to test it because we will head to next bike trip in early 2018.

I suppose I could put the rear carrier back on if I were desperate enough, but it always seemed to just be in the way so I removed it. It was an add-on anyway. I wouldn't really need a Abus carrier for it ... A short bungee cord would hold it just fine, and I have plenty of those. (I like that notion that you can join two or more of the link locks ... Sounds useful!)

The M-D, two lenses, the Abus 6500, and the iPad Pro 9x7 will all fit snugly into the Sling 5L (I checked at the bike shop with an Abus 6100 yesterday), with room for a spare battery and a couple other small accessories. If I strap the 6500 to the frame, then I can put a spare pair of light gloves or another thin over-shirt in the bag. If the M-D will fit, the CL will certainly too. This will work!

• 2 weeks later...

Looking for a good travel bag for my CL, will also carry the T lens 35mm 1.4, the 18-56 and thinking also the M 50mm f/2 and the adapter of course. Want the bag to be a thin as possible. Preferably fairly waterproof but doesn't need to survive a downpour as I just wouldn't go out. Would welcome any suggestions. I see B and H has some Oberworth bags but wonder if there is anything not so wide and obvious as being a camera bag.  

Looking for a good travel bag for my CL, will also carry the T lens 35mm 1.4, the 18-56 and thinking also the M 50mm f/2 and the adapter of course. Want the bag to be a thin as possible. Preferably fairly waterproof but doesn't need to survive a downpour as I just wouldn't go out. Would welcome any suggestions. I see B and H has some Oberworth bags but wonder if there is anything not so wide and obvious as being a camera bag.

Look at smaller Billingham bags. Mine doesn’t cry out camera bag. Other suggestion would be Wotancraft. For lightweight and weather proof, Billingham is better.

Even smaller (17 x 16 x 9cm) : Combination Case # 14825 for Leica (film) CL.

I suspect it can fit one digital CL and three small M lenses. I have not tried mine yet though.

• Like 3