Card specs for CL video UHS-I or UHS-II

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In anticipation of my CL/Zoom kit arriving at some point, I am going to buy two new SDXC cards. Other than saying which basic spec (SD, SDHC and SDXC) cards will work and saying rather vaguely "A high speed card is needed for video", Leica is silent about the exact specs of the required cards in the manual. I do have three Lexar 1000X cards which are U3 and UHS-II for my SL and I am sure would be fine for the CL but I don't like swapping cards around between cameras. Has anyone who already got their CL, found if a  UHS-I or UHS-II card is needed for 4K video. There is a substantial difference in price between the two specs. For example in the SanDisk 64GB SDXC range UHS-1: £39 UHS-II: £113. Therefore if UHS-I will work, buying the more expensive card is just money thrown away.

Lexar cards which were very good value, seem to gone up a lot under their new ownership. Sony seem to be the best current value in the UK for a UHS-II 64GB card at £70 and you are somewhat less likely to get a Sony cloned card  from Amazon, than with SanDisk, the most frequently faked. Now that Amazon is co-mingling stock bought from manufacturers/official importers, with that from third party suppliers, there is now no guarantee of a genuine card from Amazon. I found this out with a box of 10 x CR123A Duracell lithium batteries, which were poor quality fakes. Yes Amazon will take them back but it is very irritating and extra effort. 

Wilson

Edited by wlaidlaw

I just picked up some Hoodman Steel UHS-II 64GB cards at a price in between the SanDisk low and high prices.  They might be the answer until SanDisk gets their prices down.

Scott, 

Hoodman Steel cards no longer seem to be available in the UK other than via eBay. I never buy cards via eBay. 

Wilson

Just to be safe, I bought a 32GB Lexar Pro 1000x U3 UHS-II at £44 from Wex Photo. I found I had a spare 64GB Lexar U3 UHS-II from when Amazon was doing a special offer on them 18 months ago (less than I paid for the 32GB) and I bought quite a few. Those will be enough for the CL, as when Leica deliver some of the zoom kits to dealers. I am top of the queue at my dealer for a zoom kit. 

Wilson