Helios on M-D?

kkonkkrete

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all,

I've got some shoots coming up for which swirly bokeh would be a Really Good Thing.  I know that some disparage the Helios lenses, but I think it is the right tool for the specific task I have in mind, so I'm thinking of buying one dirt cheap.

My questions are:

- Which exact models would work with the Leica M-D?

- Which adaptors would I need to get this to work with no risk of damage to the camera?

The M-D is my only full-frame camera.  I wouldn't want to have to get another camera just to shoot a Helios, that would be crazy.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Best,

kkonkkrete

Edited by kkonkkrete

Wikipedia has a chart of the various mounts. Novoflex will have an adapter for one of those mounts.

The easier alternative would be a 50/2 Summitar LTM. I have one, and it was cheap and has bokeh similar if not more swirly than the f/1 Noctilux. Voigtlander’s LTM adapter works well.

• Like 1

Summar 5cm is known for that thing and one can even use it for regular photos ;).

Or Summarit 5cm is also fine when used at f/1.5 or f/2 .

Otherwise, I used sometimes ago in "42 Pentax mount" this lens:

ZENIT HELIOS-44M-6 MC 58mm1:2 (long name for a soso lens ), nothing special to declare.

Never use it on Leica :rolleyes:.

If I try, I must admit that I would not use my M-D.

Another M with LV or EVF may be more practical for that.

Found this minutes ago (by curiosity), not usable on M-D, I fear:

https://vimeo.com/141127522

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Helios-103 is very different for bokeh swirl which SLR Helios do. It doesn't swirl as SLR Helios, but SLR lens is not RF coupled even if it is rebuild to M, LTM mount.

Summar will swirl wide open, Summarit 50 1.5 and I have seen how Summilux 50 V1 and V2 do the swirl as well.

If you want swirl, put object in front and middle and background must have something like tree leafs.

Many FSU 50 LTM lenses will give nice, smooth bokeh, but no swirl. Jupiter-3 is the leader, followed by Jupiter-8. They have something like ten aperture blades, if not more.

Edited by Ko.Fe.

Thanks everyone, thinking I might have to take a different route.  I'd need to be able to focus the lens obviously, I can't just guess at those apertures!  I don't want to have to take a focus stack and then search for the one shot that nails the face.  Oh well, I guess there are times when live view would be useful!

If you want some FSU lens for your M-D, with coupling, have you seen LTM Jupiter 8 and 3 lenses in 50mm ?

I have some and one Jupiter 8 couple very well with M and basic adapter (M to LTM).

Nice output from one Jupiter 3, not at f/1.5 though,  but this one has some flaws on focus coupling.

This one is a "poor-boy-Summarit", even if I call it "light-Summarit-5cm".

Jupiter may be miss or hit but cheap to try one or more units.

Have a look here, RFF: https://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 1

Thanks a lot for the Jupiter tips.  Not really exactly what I'm looking for: I'm specifically after heavy swirl in the bokeh.  I'd describe the jupiter look as vintage looking, but I'm not seeing the swirl I'm after.  Much appreciated though.  I can certainly see the likeness to the Summarit.

The Summar, when shot wide open or near to it, will provide great swirly bokeh.  This example was taken some years ago with an M8

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

William

Edited by willeica
  • Like 1