Hey TL2 owners ... How many of you are going to get the CL? (Why / why not?)

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Staying with TL2 - I maybe in a small minority but zI like the Visoflex because of the tilt. I also like the bigger screen, of the TL2 and the user interface is something I now like having got used to it with the T. Trade in and part -ex would cost a lot - for what ? I was tempted by the CL on release but once the hype had vacated me I lost intetest.

The tilt on the TL2 EVF is fantastic, and the reason I will keep the TL2. I also shot the TL2 like a iPhone when in japan and found that very easy as well

Neil

the longer I wait for delivery of a CL the more I tend to just stay with the TL2 Sometimes I dont like the EVF and sometimes I am not 100% happy with the AF but I dig the UI and design. 

It is IMO unfortunately not an easy call...

I know why I personally bought the CL: built-in EVF, D-pad buttons (would have preferred joystick) and faster AF.

And the CL does deliver all of those things... but that being said I can easily name half a dozen to a dozen things that I like better on the TL2 as well...

• Like 1

Is Leica expected to deliver a firmware update that will improve the TL2's AF?

Apparently, AF on the CL is superior to that on TL2.

It is possible that many of those on the fence will stick with the TL2 if that upgrade materializes.

Edited by Learner

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Is Leica expected to deliver a firmware update that will improve the TL2's AF?

Apparently, AF on the CL is superior to that on TL2.

It is possible that many of those on the fence will stick with the TL2 if that upgrade materializes.

You maybe need to send your TL2 to Germany as the AF on my TL2 is super fast :) 

Neil

I hesitated between TL2 and CL coming from SL and Q which I am not selling. Sold my M but may go back to the M10 somewhere in the future. I went for the CL for 2 reasons. I need a viewfinder and I need the hotshoe to be free when I use a viewfinder to plug an optical viewfinder that I find more agreeable to compose pictures (Too much M experience I know) . 

The CL is a travel ultra-light setup. Minimum with a M FLE 35 or M 24 3,8. The only TL lens I need is the 11-23 for wide angle as my WATE is not wide enough on APS-C

What I like on TL lenses is the close distance capability but they are still bigger than M lenses so I will only get the 11-23. What I miss is an hyperfocal or distance pre-setup... avail on the M indeed and SL too through the top LCD.

The TL2 seems to have a basic distance display in manual mode, I hope the CL has at least the same capability.

Edited by kikouyou

Well, I tried the CL and opted not to switch from the TL2. I suspect I am in the minority, but to me the CL was just a tad too diminutive, light, and lacking the robustness of the TL line. 

Granted, AF is definitely faster and the built-in EVF is much better than the Visoflex 020, and I prefer the more traditional user interface, but at the end of the day the whole CL package was not enough of an upgrade to warrant a change for me.

Maybe I will warm to the idea more in the coming days, but the T/TL2 line are really nice cameras. 

Edited by ropo54
  • Like 3

Had the TL2 for 3 months and changed it for a CL.

Much as I liked the ergonomics of the TL2 the separate Visoflex EVF was a complete pain in the backside (ditto on the M240).

The CL EVF is far superior and any minor functional losses are more than compensated for by this alone. 

Even if I still had both,  it would be the CL that I would pick up when I went out ...... and that is all that really counts. 

Edited by thighslapper
  • Like 2

Hello, could someone help me. I bought 55-135objective 4days a go from Tokyo Map Camera Buying Center. I want to refund or exchange with another objective, but they didnt accept evwnthough the Leica policy does. How can I solve this problem? Thank you.

• 1 month later...

Well, I switched in the other direction. Looked forward to the CL but having bought it didn't like it in the hand, although I concede that IQ with M adapter/M lenses was OK. So I bought the TL2 (recently at lowered prices in UK) and I am delighted with it. Setting up was fine, IQ is excellent. I do, however, find manual focusing via rear screen very  vague and EVF plus magnification options essential. (Started using depth scale on lens and assessing subject distance, rather like we did in the old days!)

Maybe when Jono Slack writes about 'shimmering' screen view when focus is correct  this relates more to wide-stop lens settings. At present it's very dull in London and using ISO at 800.

The rear screen in review mode strikes me as far more sharply resolved than in live view.

• Like 1

I just recently received my new TL2.. and I am quite pleased. I see no real reason to change to the CL just because there is a built in EVF.. I rather enjoy the tilting EVF on the T series. As far as the rest of it goes, I definitely prefer the T solid body and large touch screen. Given that the sensor is the same, I am quite positive that the IQ is very similar on both cameras. The fact that I had an Italian leather 1/2 case and the EVF leftover from my T made it considerably less cash out to upgrade to the 24 meg TL2 rather than to a CL.

I have had zero focusing issues with the TL2 which seems to be part of the ‘ I need a CL’ mantra, but my style of shooting is not impaired at all. If I need rapid focus and firepower, I will dust off one of my old, big and heavy DSLRs. I am convinced that the TL2 system will serve my needs for quite a while.

Rick

• Like 2

I just recently received my new TL2.. and I am quite pleased. I see no real reason to change to the CL just because there is a built in EVF.. I rather enjoy the tilting EVF on the T series. As far as the rest of it goes, I definitely prefer the T solid body and large touch screen. Given that the sensor is the same, I am quite positive that the IQ is very similar on both cameras. The fact that I had an Italian leather 1/2 case and the EVF leftover from my T made it considerably less cash out to upgrade to the 24 meg TL2 rather than to a CL.

I have had zero focusing issues with the TL2 which seems to be part of the ‘ I need a CL’ mantra, but my style of shooting is not impaired at all. If I need rapid focus and firepower, I will dust off one of my old, big and heavy DSLRs. I am convinced that the TL2 system will serve my needs for quite a while.

Rick

I would comment that there is a significant difference in jpegs from the TL2 vs. the CL.  I fount that the TL2's jpegs were lacking and always used RAW to get the beautiful soft colors;  comparatively, the CL's jpegs are naturally quite warm and with wonderful colors.

I have not found any difference in IQ, but the CL does focus faster and the EVF is far superior to the visoflex, as is the focus peaking.

I'm hoping Leica will  correct some of the TL2's 'weaker' issues with a software update. To my eyes, the T line is a work of art, beautiful to hold and wonderful in feel, and bests the CL on these points.

• Like 1