Have I Made the Right Decision Buying a Zeiss Lens for M8.2?

shutterpete

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just purchased a used pristine Biogon f2 35mm lens from a dealer in UK for (£589).

I recently bought a used M8.2 body in superb condition. Not had chance

to marry them together yet as lens won't arrive till tomorrow.

Was this a reasonable choice of lens?  I have read a lot of stuff about these Zeiss lenses

including voigtlander's Nokton range.  I felt that Zeiss just about won this race. Hope so!!

So, do I now need to buy a IR Cut filter (43mm) for my M8.2? 

I will be in the market for a portrait lens in the near future and would love to hear your

views what lens I should look for.  I can't really afford newish Leica lens at present.

Thanks, look forward to your input.

Pete

Don't get into a rush to buy other lenses...like most of us have.

Just shoot with your 35 for a few months, then perhaps look at something else..

Try some shots with, and without the filter, you will see the difference. I think they are necessary for colour...I love them...tunes the light to the sensor perfectly.

Enjoy the camera and post processing before rushing forward..

Edited by david strachan
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Excellent lens, it's as good as a Leica lens, super sharp with little field curvature, excellent contrast and color. This will not go over well on a Leica forum: sold my summicron and summilux, kept the Zeiss.

WOWee that's good that I have made the right decision for a change.  Perhaps, I should have gone for the M9 instead of M8.2 (only£500 difference)

One more thing, Zeiss lenses focus on film bodies, they need adjustment for digital. Zeiss does this as part of the warranty. My lens needed two adjustments to play well with an M digital

That depends on the age of the lens; Zeiss changed their calibration a few years ago. Not a problem, however, should the lens need adjusting, just send it to Will van Manen for calibration and he will return it in a fast turnaround and at a reasonable price. Or send it to Zeiss if so desired. However, Will can check the calibration of the body as well.

• Like 2

Don't get into a rush to buy other lenses...like most of us have.

Just shoot with your 35 for a few months, then perhaps look at something else..

Try some shots with, and without the filter, you will see the difference. I think they are necessary for colour...I love them...tunes the light to the sensor perfectly.

Enjoy the camera and post processing before rushing forward..

Thanks for great advice David.  I have yet to buy an IR cut filter, I see there are various values and IR numbers on eBay and I am totally confused as to which I should go for.

BTW, I really love your photo of Baby with Tattoos.

• Like 1

I was under the assumption that if a lens (irrespective of whether it is a Leica lens or Zeiss lens) is adjusted for digital use, it will also work perfectly on film bodies. Is that assumption incorrect?

I do know that the other way round may result in problems with digital cameras, but thought that this was due to the less strict tolerances used for adjusting lenses to film bodies. 

Andy

• Like 1

That depends on the age of the lens; Zeiss changed their calibration a few years ago. Not a problem, however, should the lens need adjusting, just send it to Will van Manen for calibration and he will return it in a fast turnaround and at a reasonable price. Or send it to Zeiss if so desired. However, Will can check the calibration of the body as well.

As an alternative, I would ask the purchasing shop to send it in for calibration if needed, many times they will as part of their warranty.  It is best to send the body with it.   

• Like 1

Great job from Will, absolutely.

Reasonable price, yes.

Fast turnaround, well not so much lately - the result of the above, I guess.

AFAIC, I'm happy to wait a bit longer...

• Like 1

WOWee that's good that I have made the right decision for a change.  Perhaps, I should have gone for the M9 instead of M8.2 (only£500 difference)

M8.2 is unique camera. M9 is more regular. M8.2 doesn't have some of M8 quirks, but still allows to take IR photography and BW is still different from M9. I had M8 and it was more pleasantly build comparing to M-E, which is also not a DSLR Maybe M9 is on pair with M8.2: ). Surprisingly, crop factor was not limiting me with 35 lens at all. The only real difference I have found was in low light photography.  I don't hesitate to use M-E at 2500 in color and under low light. M8 I used ISO2500 if it was enough light for color or as BW under low light. At ISO 1250 both are giving good results under low light as long as you know what you are doing.

I'm looking at M8 pictures and I like them as much as I like M-E pictures. 

• Like 1

The M8 is an excellent camera if you can work around its limitations, mostly high-ISO performance and IR sensitivity in colour - unless of course you want to go very wide or make very large prints, in which case sensor crop and MP count could also be seen as limitations.

I still have an original M8 and an M8.2. I put the former up for sale a while ago at the price it was worth to me (reasonable, but on the high side given its condition). Despite some interest, it didn't sell and I kept it. Both my M8s see regular use, if somewhat limited compared to their younger siblings. Converted B&W from the M8 can be amazing, colour is a bit trickier, but so is the M9 to be entirely honest. These days, I even enjoy the clunky shutter and re-cocking sound that used to bother me so much...

Have fun with your M8 - and learn how to make the best of it.

Can't comment on the Biogon, as I have never used one, but a 50mm is a nice portrait lens on the M8. Plenty of choice there - both old and new.

• Like 1