Leica Q DIGISCOPING thread

How about we start a digiscoping thread? I know there are a couple more people out there experimenting with this. How about a few more join in? It is great for birds and wildlife as well as some astronomical objects.

Super Moon this evening in Colorado. Shutter speed 1/125, ISO 100, F/7.1. Taken using the Leica digiscoping adapter (Type 116) on my Q and through a 20X eyepiece on a Swarovski ATS-80 spotting scope. Mounted on a Gitzo tripod with a Gitzo video head. Processed in LR for exposure, contrast, sharpening. Digiscoping is fun! Challenging too!

Well, I have recently got the adapter but am not getting things as sharp as I would like. I suspect getting the camera/tripod set up rock steady so pressing shutter button does not induce shake might be the issue. Perhaps using smartphone app better? In short some advice on the basic procedure would be welcomed.

• Thanks 1

Love your part of the world. I was in Loveland in late October horseback riding! I'm in Paris, France at the time and I can't imagine getting such a clear shot of the moon. The city of light is unfortunately "light polluting!".

Well, I have recently got the adapter but am not getting things as sharp as I would like. I suspect getting the camera/tripod set up rock steady so pressing shutter button does not induce shake might be the issue. Perhaps using smartphone app better? In short some advice on the basic procedure would be welcomed.

I’m not as happy with overall sharpness as I’d like. The scope optics while good may still be the limitation. It is at 20X magnification which is quite high. Like shooting with a 1000 mm lens on my Canon 5D3. Extremely sensitive to any movement of any of the parts. I used the 2 sec. timer to separate my button touch from jarring the setup. I struggled and took over 50 photos to end up with 12-15 similar to the one I posted. No doubt this is a challenging type of photography. Look forward to seeing your posts.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Using a digital caliper, I measure the fully open ID of the adapter to be 2.31”. When the clamp is tightened down I measure 2.21”. I use this to adapt to a Swarovski ATS-80 with a 20-60X eyepiece. My eyepiece is right at 2” ID so this adapter never tightens up around it. I’ve put gaffers tape around the top of the eyepiece to close the gap. It works. Sort of. For Astrophotography where the scope is pointed very vertical, it makes me nervous that my Q will slip off. I very carefully keep holding the Q and or I tie the strap near there on the tripod so the Q wouldn’t fall far. I need to find a better way to adapt and will probably turn a piece of nylon on a lathe to make it fit perfectly. It’s disappointing that Leica does not use the standard 2” diameter. The Leica spotting scopes must be larger diameter than my scope. Still, it works and I like using it. I’m just getting going and expect to make more photos using this system. Love to see yours.

Edited by Infiniumguy
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

This morning I was up early to witness and photograph the Super Blue Blood Moon using the Leica Q and a Swarovski spotting scope. It was great fun and a real challenge. 

I used the Leica Spotting scope adapter connected to my Swarovski 20-60X ATS 80 spotting scope. The Q attached nicely and when the adapter is tightened down has no tendency to fall off. 

I attached the scope and Q combo to a Star Adventurer Star Tracker device which does a great job keeping the moon centered in the viewfinder.

Focusing is the most difficult part. I first focused the scope then used auto-focus for as long as I had a bright portion of the moon. Once it was in full eclipse, I had to manually focus and it was a real challenge. 

There were some clouds and haze this morning or I think the photos would have been a bit sharper. I tried ISO's from 100-800 and settled back on 100 since the star tracker kept the image from blurring. 

I mostly used f/6.3 although later I tried opening the lens a bit more to drop the shutter speeds. I bracketed every photo and generally was 0.5 sec. all the way up to 30 sec. The full eclipse is very, very dim.

Again, the star tracker facilitates using longer exposures and not having blur. 

I processed all the images in Adobe LR to set exposure and sharpness. I used a gradient in places to bring up the exposure when a portion of the moon was just too dark, but other parts were "bright".

I've included a photo of the whole setup. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 14

Andy -

If you use the build-in self timer setting to trip the shutter you'll not introduce any vibration and not need to add any gear.[/quote

I did use the 12 sec timer to suppress vibrations. I should have mentioned that. It doesn’t take much at 20X magnification.

Edited by Infiniumguy

Is it possible to attach the leica q to a regular telescope?

I’m not aware of any adapter that will attach a Q to a telescope. Perhaps someone else is. Typically one would use an interchangeable lens camera and attach the body to the telescope. That way the image goes straight to the sensor. The built in lens of the Q serves no purpose in this case and I suspect is in the way.

• 2 weeks later...

I photographed sunspots today using the spotting scope and Leica Q. I use an 18-stop solar filter in front of the objective lens on the spotting scope. Settings on the Q were 1/800 sec., f/1.7, ISO 100. I use a Star Adventurer tracker although for the sun it's not really necessary. It just keeps the image centered so I don't have to keep readjusting the ballhead. It's fun. Careful if you attempt this. You MUST use a solar filter in the front of the spotting scope. The spots are Region 2699, 12 sunspots, classification Beta - Gamma. Readily available on spaceweatherlive.com. I'm always trying to do new and different things with the Q. Just for the fun of the challenge. NEVER LOOK DIRECTLY AT THE SUN WITHOUT PROTECTION!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Infiniumguy
  • Like 6

• 11 months later...

Anyone try using digiscoping for architectural detail? Stained glass windows in cathedrals for example, or sculptures high up? My Leica SL 90-280 zoom lens is so heavy that I'm tempted to try my new Q and a spotting scope instead, but I'm wondering how long the exposures would have to be? 

Thanks.

MPB. I’ve not tried what you suggest, but I have used the Q with a spotting scope quite a lot. Especially around astrophotography. I’ve done a fair amount of architectural photography mostly using very a wide angle zoom lens on my Canon 5D3. The lens is 11-24 mm. I often use that lens near the 11 mm range inside cathedrals or capitol rotundas. I generally want very wide views to capture ceilings. While the spotting scope might give you extreme zoom, in my opinion, it would be cumbersome to use and would be a slow solution thus requiring a tripod. I wonder if a prime in the focal length you want might not be a better, more user friendly and faster solution. 

22 minutes ago, LexS said:

After seeing all this very impressive equipment, and the almost incredible pictures made, I ask myself and you: there must be a sort of community that does these things and communicate. Like David M. Brewer. Do you know him?

I confess that I do not know David. I have a couple friends who are serious astrophotographers and I connect with them pretty often. My setup is very amateurish compared to theirs, but i enjoy getting the images I do with such inferior gear. I like the challenge of using the Q to make images it was probably never intended to be used for. I also posted images in the Leica Q main image thread of the eclipse a few days ago. Take a look if your interested.