Learning to use the M10, non aperture EXIF data

tonyniev

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Learning to shot with the M10...in planning my trip I wanted to take an image of the windmills of Mykonos with the sea in the foreground, saw the right perspective and shot three images, but when I downloaded the file I saw it shot at iso 100 but shutter speed of 1/3000, unfortunatley no aperture data, it is not sharp so must be at F2.8 on the Elmarit 28, maybe also I did not go live view and the old elmarit must be in live view to meter, I missed this shot although I have several images near the windmills

L1002437-2-XL.jpg

I was able to shoot with the Sony A7R at 16 mm, both are cropped to remove the veranda of the restaurant.. how I wished I shot with longer lens (even at 35mm) EXIF 

CAMERA Sony ILCE-7R LENS FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS ISO 100 FOCAL LENGTH 16.0 mm (16.0 mm in 35mm) APERTURE f/8 EXPOSURE TIME 0.00125s (1/800)

DSC08961-L.jpg

Edited by tonyniev

Well, with an M lens, you set the aperture and the camera sets the shutter speed so it looks like you had the lens wide open and the camera set the shutter speed to close to as fast as the camera can get. In a shot like this, there are no DoF advantages to shooting wide open, so you should have stopped the lens down to f5.6/f8 to get best IQ and the resulting shutter speed would still have been fast enough to avoid camera shake.

That's what the Sony did, a longer exposure with the lens stopped down. An Elmarit lens is typically built down to a price and you pay a penalty when shooting wide open.

The M10 has a native ISO of 200.

ISO 100 is a 'Pull' setting (so-called from the film days of pushing & pulling ISO away from its native/rated ISO/ASA when developing).

So, firstly, your 'best' reproduction with the M10 (and the M240, for that matter) is going to be when you set the ISO to 200.

I agree with Mr. Norton, above, that you ought to have shot at f5.6 or f8 for the bright sunny day.

As to the abilities of the 28mm Elmarit-M wide open: I don't have the old one but the new, current version is ALMOST as good wide open as it is at 5.6. Certainly it is by f4 - at least my copy is.

If you had the lens set to wide open for bokeh effect for other, closer shots you simply have to remember to stop down for distance shooting. Then, again, you're not going to get much bokeh on a 28mm lens, anyway!