Strongly considering CL, how do Voigtlander lenses perform?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello everyone, new to the forum and looking for advice. I’m strongly considering adding the CL to my stable, I still h@ve to make my way to a Leica store to give it more a hands on, but it looks very promising and looks to check the boxes to me. I’ve been a fan of Leica products since I was a little boy and helping with my uncles one hour photo store back then and being able to use his old Leica gear. I’m not a film guy and the digital Leica for the most part have all been out of my reach financially. I didn’t want a compact, the M series has been too much, and I’m more of an AF guy primarily these days because of my kids, so the Q was my only real option. But at the end of the day I’m more a 35 person than a 28.

To keep it short, I’m looking to add the CL with the 18-56 lens. As mentioned before I’m not really a 28mm Guy, so skipping the 18mm 2.8 for now. Definitely going to add the 23mm f/2. Looking to add one more prime, something in the 40-60mm range, giving me a 60-90 equivalent. I know that there’s some Leica m mount options that I could look at, but then I also remembered that there’s a Voigtlander 40mm f/1.4 which is pretty affordable as well as a 50mm 1.5. Has anyone tried either of these two on the CLand if so, can you comment on them?

Thanks in advance from a newbie and I look forward to any insight on this and other questions in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone, new to the forum and looking for advice. I’m strongly considering adding the CL to my stable, I still h@ve to make my way to a Leica store to give it more a hands on, but it looks very promising and looks to check the boxes to me. I’ve been a fan of Leica products since I was a little boy and helping with my uncles one hour photo store back then and being able to use his old Leica gear. I’m not a film guy and the digital Leica for the most part have all been out of my reach financially. I didn’t want a compact, the M series has been too much, and I’m more of an AF guy primarily these days because of my kids, so the Q was my only real option. But at the end of the day I’m more a 35 person than a 28.

To keep it short, I’m looking to add the CL with the 18-56 lens. As mentioned before I’m not really a 28mm Guy, so skipping the 18mm 2.8 for now. Definitely going to add the 23mm f/2. Looking to add one more prime, something in the 40-60mm range, giving me a 60-90 equivalent. I know that there’s some Leica m mount options that I could look at, but then I also remembered that there’s a Voigtlander 40mm f/1.4 which is pretty affordable as well as a 50mm 1.5. Has anyone tried either of these two on the CLand if so, can you comment on them?

Thanks in advance from a newbie and I look forward to any insight on this and other questions in the future.

You might search the Leica TL forum, as the TL2 has the same sensor as the CL and there are plenty of posts regarding lens options there, which should be on point for the CL.

My understanding is that the main difference between the CL and TL2 has to do with user interface, but not photo imaging.

Rob

Edited by ropo54
  • Like 1