CL and SL comparison with lenses of similar capability

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It’s amazing what a reduction from full frame to APS-C makes possible...

from Compact Camera Meter http://j.mp/2jFCOXE

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Also, just under 0.9 lb versus nearly 1.9 lb (https://www.apotelyt.com/compare-camera/leica-cl-vs-leica-sl )

- Vikas

Edited by vikasmg
  • Like 5

An interesting game.  How about this one for size...

Where the CL MIGHT start to play a role is for situations where I need to have a longer reach.  At the moment my solution is the A-T 135 on the M + the EVF or a Canon 5D3 with 70-200 2.8 (which way a ton!).  The CL + the 135 or the 55-135 zoom might just tip me across...

I had the SL but got rid of it because it was too big to carry around as a companion camera even with an M lens attached, in the end, I preferred the OVF on the Canon DSLR. 

My current feeling is that the M10 with a 35 summicron will continue to be the companion, go anywhere as it fits into a shoulder bag so easily it's with me nearly all the time.  Really - there's no size advantage for this focal length.

All good fun anyway!

Edited by chris_tribble
  • Like 2

Yes, as long as you dont take the bigger viewfinder, better AF, larger sensor, shallower DOF, etc etc into account.

I also believe the 50/1.4 SL is more aimed to perfection than the 35/1.4 (which is a very good lens but not as "perfect" as the 50/1.4).

I want to add that I am not arguing against the size advantage, I just wanted to say there are some compromises to make for the smaller size.

• Like 2

I want to add that I am not arguing against the size advantage, I just wanted to say there are some compromises to make for the smaller size.

Fully agree.  When I need maximum IQ I'll stick with the full frame M - Canon.  HOWEVER, I'm beginning to recognise that APS-C with really good glass can do a pretty damn good job - both for print and for screen ...

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Where the CL MIGHT start to play a role is for situations where I need to have a longer reach.  At the moment my solution is the A-T 135 on the M + the EVF or a Canon 5D3 with 70-200 2.8 (which way a ton!).  The CL + the 135 or the 55-135 zoom might just tip me across...

Does your 70-200 have vibration reduction, Chris? The smaller size of the CL and 55-135 does look attractive in comparison but I wouldn't want to shoot a long lens at an event without VR of some kind. Even with high ISO capability I often find I'm shooting 200mm at 1/60 and I wouldn't want to do that without some form of image stabilisation.

• Like 1

My current feeling is that the M10 with a 35 summicron will continue to be the companion, go anywhere as it fits into a shoulder bag so easily it's with me nearly all the time.  Really - there's no size advantage for this focal length.

attachicon.gifCOMPARE_2.jpg

All good fun anyway!

Leica M10 + Summicron 35mm = 915g

Leica CL + 18mm = 483g ( or tl summicron 35mm = 557g)

;)

• Like 2

Leica M10 + Summicron 35mm = 915g

Leica CL + 18mm = 483g ( or tl summicron 35mm = 557g)

;)

Yes, that's a god point. A Leica M with a 35 Summicron (or even with just the body cap) is quite a dense object and, when photography isn't the main objective, it can feel a bit like carrying a small brick around with you.

• Like 1

Does your 70-200 have vibration reduction, Chris? The smaller size of the CL and 55-135 does look attractive in comparison but I wouldn't want to shoot a long lens at an event without VR of some kind. Even with high ISO capability I often find I'm shooting 200mm at 1/60 and I wouldn't want to do that without some form of image stabilisation.

Ian - the Canon 70-200 mk2 is image stabilised and a stunningly good lens.  I use a monopod when I'm doing events - saves my neck and back!  

IQ from a recent Tomasz Stanko gig in London where my set up ( as usual) was the Canon 5DIII + 70-200 and 2 M10s with 28 summicron asph + 50 summilux asph.

• Like 3

Yes, that's a god point. A Leica M with a 35 Summicron (or even with just the body cap) is quite a dense object and, when photography isn't the main objective, it can feel a bit like carrying a small brick around with you.

Agreed on the weight - but it's such a reassuring little brick... 

Ian - the Canon 70-200 mk2 is image stabilised and a stunningly good lens. 

Yes, the modern 70-200 VR lenses from Canon and Nikon are remarkably good. I have the F4 Nikon variety (I prefer the lighter weight versus the F2.8) and it is probably the best (certainly the most useful in a money earning sense) lens that I own. It focusses accurately in an instant in deep gloom, is very sharp and the VR is incredibly effective. It is the complete antithesis of my other favourite lens – the 28 Summaron-M – which I use in an entirely different context.

• Like 1

I know you are only joking but would you really fancy your chances swinging a Leica against an assailant with a knife or just their fists?

The only time I have ever faced an attempted mugging, it was in a remote rural area in the Far East. He had a large knife and I had a large radiocassette player. I swung it at him, he backed off, and I jumped in my landrover and ran away. A Leica M240 wouldn't be my defence weapon of choice, but needs must......

• Like 5

The only time I have ever faced an attempted mugging, it was in a remote rural area in the Far East. He had a large knife and I had a large radiocassette player. I swung it at him, he backed off, and I jumped in my landrover and ran away. A Leica M240 wouldn't be my defence weapon of choice, but needs must......

I did the same thing years back in Amsterdam with a Contarex Super and the Sonnar 135mm f2.8, holding the combo by the lens...

Guy

• Like 1

I find dx a very good compromise between still smooth IQ, size and price; also a sensor size where you get reasonable DOF without a tripod but also get shallow dof with a fast lens if you want so.

On the other side even DX camera with lenses is not a pocket camera. And how much difference does it make to bring a pretty small bag or just small bag or a little bigger bag?

• Like 1

CL + 35mm TL (almost 3:1 crop)

ISO 1600 f/1.4 @ 1/125 sec.

SL + 50 Summilux-SL (almost 3:1 crop)

ISO 1600 f/2.0 @ 1/125 sec.