Leica TL New 18 mm TL lens – Why you will or won't buy it (alone or as part of kit)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes, the 18 mm is light-weight and there's a significant discount when bought as part of a kit... But what other factors come into play for you when it comes to making this purchasing decision?

For me, the light weight of the 18mm makes it easier to carry a second lens.

Edited by Learner

I am getting the CL+18 kit. With the 18 on, the camera is very compact, lightweight, yet still very high quality. I was looking at the 23mm as well, but I have a 24 Summilux-M so I’d be duplicating focal lengths, though the extra stop would come in handy.

Also getting the kit.  28mm eq is one of my favorite focal lengths (I also have the Q) and I was hoping for a small compact 28mm for the SL.  I will take it for the CL as well.  :) If Leica is smart they will also release a small 50mm eq soon.  A kit of 3 small compact lenses (18mm, 23mm and 35mm) as a travel kit would go a long way for a lot of people.

• Like 1

I was seriously mulling over the purchase of this lens. The 28mm full-frame equivalent focal length is my preference for street photography. Really appreciate the pocket-ability of the pancake design.

The Zeiss Biogon 21mm is presently used on my T (ver.1) as a close enough substitute for the 28mm field of view. The 28mm focal length provides the benefit (relative to longer focal length lenses at equal apertures) of deeper fields of focus. Since that can be read easily on a manual focus only lens, it allows the photographer not only to pre-set focus, but to pre-set a depth of focus.

Unfortunately, the 18mm pancake has no depth-of-field markings on its barrel; the photographer has no sense of field depth, or the ability to set it.

I think if the 18mm pancake had DoF markings on the barrel, it would be a good fit for me. Without them alas, it is not.

The Panasonic/Leica 15/1.7 on the GX85 along with the 25/1.4 are doing quite well for me when I don’t want the main cameras.

The tonality is a little bit compressed compared to the M9/10 and Ricoh GR, so I am keeping an eye open upgrades ; but without a compact 50mm equivalent view the CL is not there yet.

• Like 1

I guess it is down to how you intend to use it. For me, this camera functions partly as a sidekick to the SL and partly as a stand-alone for street photography. In neither instance will the 18mm pancake be of use to me. This is because I require a lens with an aperture ring, distance markings and DOF scale for street work while the SL is used predominantly for landscape and portraiture, for which I use MF. So, with the CL I use the 21/3.4 asph and 35/2 Summicron, for roughly 31mm and 48mm equivalents while my SL is populated in the main with R lenses. I think that AF is unsuitable for street photography, which often requires covert methods, because one simply cannot be certain where the focus point will land, whereas with the appropriate aperture and zone focusing one can forget about this aspect altogether with a MF lens. Additionally, Leica M lenses, not being system dependent, are both more versatile and, I suspect, more easily traded on than those which are tied to the L system. And they are nicer to use!

Edited by Waterden
  • Like 1

20 cm on an 18 mm? Why? Model railways?

Hehehe....

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6