World's fastest 135mm lens also available in Leica L-mount.

farnz

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A Chinese manufacturer called ZY Optics has announced the 135/1.4 Mitakon Speedmaster lens, claiming that it's the fastest 135 mm lens in the world.  According to Amateur Photographer magazine it will be available in Leica L-mount as well as Sony A, Sony E, Canon EF,  Nikon F, Fujifilm G, and Pentax K mounts for £1,000.

The minimum focus distance will be 1.5 metres, it will weigh 3 kg, and it will have a 105 mm filter thread.  

It's not a lens that I would be interested in but I thought that other members might find it interesting and possibly attractive.

Pete.

According to the article it is going to cost $3000. Sounds a bit mental when you can get a 135/F2 APO Zeiss lens that weighs about a kilo, focuses to under 3 ft and has a 77mm filter thread. You’d have to really want that extra stop to buy this Speedmaster (sounds like it should be a fishing reel or something like that).

Edited by wattsy
  • Like 1

Err, the article linked to is dated October 2015. The fact that two years later it did not set the world on fire means either it never appeared or it never sold. Also, to follow the link to the manufacturers website only shows Canon, Nikon and Sony FE mounts.

A rangefinder coupled version would have been interesting. No hand holding possible do.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Err, the article linked to is dated October 2015. The fact that two years later it did not set the world on fire means either it never appeared or it never sold. Also, to follow the link to the manufacturers website only shows Canon, Nikon and Sony FE mounts.

A rangefinder coupled version would have been interesting. No hand holding possible do.

Zhong Yi Optics has released a 2nd version of the 135/1.4 Speedmaster, which is presumably why Amateur Photographer magazine published the story in this week's edition.  I added the Petapixel weblink for details in case anyone was interested but yes it dates from 2015.  There are some pictures on dpreview taken with the lens so it sounds like it got released alright.

Pete.

Edited by farnz

And the effect of 3kg on the integrity / alignment etc of the camera lens mount?  Or will a tripod and tripod collar be deemed to be an essential 'feature'?   :blink:

Not a problem. With lenses like that one does not carry the camera with the lens attached, but the lens with the camera attached.

• Like 2

Not a problem. With lenses like that one does not carry the camera with the lens attached, but the lens with the camera attached.

Just like the 135mm Elmarit for that matter, and that has 'only' 2.8 to blame for it!

Gerry

Zhong Yi Optics has released a 2nd version of the 135/1.4 Speedmaster, which is presumably why Amateur Photographer magazine published the story in this week's edition. I added the Petapixel weblink for details in case anyone was interested but yes it dates from 2015. There are some pictures on dpreview taken with the lens so it sounds like it got released alright.

Pete.

My apologies, I saw 2015 on the article you linked to, I didn't realise that the lens wad been relaunched.

There doesn't seem to be any independent reviews of the series 1 lenses. So I think one would be a bit brave to buy one.

• Like 1