CL as a M companion for 1,4/75 and 0,95/50

didier

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So one thing that bugs me with using M lenses on SL and also CL that doesn’t come up much - maybe I misunderstood:

Is it correct that the screen/evf will be too dark on higher apertures and that people open it up to focus? bigheadtaco on youtube made a comment like that in his SL with M adapter review if I am not goofing.

If that is correct and you want to take a pic of a baby soon to be toddler I think you might be better of with the native autofocus lenses

You have a choice with both SL and CL to have the EVF simulate exposure in M mode. They always simulate exposure in PAS modes. So yes, aperture affects EVF brightness, and this will be a problem in A mode if you like to shoot dark scenes. For normal scenes, including babies & toddlers it is not a problem.

As with any TTL system, you will have to open up aperture on M lenses for optimal manual focusing. That's a normal limitation that rangefinders overcome.

My experience with babies and toddlers is that both AF and MF are OK until they start moving around. Then, indoors, I have yet to find a camera with AF that can catch exact focus on the fly at close range, so I set manual focus and wait for the child to move into focus, rather than the other way round. (I dare say a sports grade Nikon SLR with top range zoom and focus tracking and burst mode will catch focus, but after that the toddler will run screaming in fear).