Good news from Wetzlar

djmay

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have just returned from a couple of days in Wetzlar. I cannot provide details of the discussions due to confidentiality, however, I can say that more good things are happening and it is good to be in the S system.

I attended the pre-opening of a new exhibit at the Leica Gallerie and there was a lot of "buzz" about the CL. I looked at it, and I can see why people like it. Since I prefer cameras with large sensors, it is not for me - yet.

I had a private tour of the optics production. Although, I already knew that it was world class, seeing it up close was very impressive. The tolerances in the grinding, polishing and assembly steps are very tight.

While I was there, my S Typ 006 and Super-Elmar-S 24 were serviced. Both items were ready for me the next morning. Fantastic service.

I tried out a S Typ 007 for a day. I have not considered it because of the 60-second maximum exposure. As 007 users already know, it is an excellent handling camera. The attached photo is from the 007. I communicated very clearly that I will stay with the 006 due to exposure time limits, and that more that 125 seconds is needed. We will see what happens.

Jesse

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

S 007, Super-Elmar-S 24

Edited by djmay
  • Like 17

It may be good but not at the price Leica sells its S system. Who in his mind would pay $20k for a camera and >$5k for a lens if you can get the same very high quality gear at 30-50% of the price. If someone really has that much money to burn, pick up IQ3 at $20k next year. 

• Like 1

did you get to see a Thambar?

Albert  :huh:  :huh:  :huh:

No, I did not think about it. I only tested the 007 and was very pleased with it. I will be testing other equipment, but at my location. I was asked to test a M Monochrom and provide feedback. It is not a new product and has been tested by many. Leica would also like my feedback because I am predominantly a black and white photographer. This is another reason why I like dealing with Leica. No manufacturer can please everyone on every function; they solicit feedback from multiple kinds of photographers in order to make decisions.

Jesse

It may be good but not at the price Leica sells its S system. Who in his mind would pay $20k for a camera and >$5k for a lens if you can get the same very high quality gear at 30-50% of the price. If someone really has that much money to burn, pick up IQ3 at $20k next year. 

And what system might that be?  Also, what does an IQ3 do on it's own.....

john

And what system might that be?  Also, what does an IQ3 do on it's own.....

john

No need to repeat what's been discussed multiple times but since you've asked... Go to B&H and look at the prices. New S007 $18.5k, new 100mm f2 lens is almost $8k.

It can easily be GFX, less than $6k for a new body and $2.5k for a new 110mm f2 lens. Next year the next GFX model hits a market, so the prices for the first generation would drop even further. 

IQ3 gives you a bigger sensor, better DR, better tonality, bigger prints you can have and better customer support.

And who are you to come here insulting me?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Had an IQ. Hated using it. Have an S. Love using it. Price not being an issue does not mean "buy the most expensive thing". It means buy what you like using. For me, that's the S system.

Edited by mgrayson3
  • Like 7

Had an IQ. Hated using it. Have an S. Love using it. Price not being an issue does not mean "buy the most expensive thing". It means buy what you like using. For me, that's the S system.

Sure, I completely agree with you. You're a target customer of Leica. I used to have S and I love it, both bodies and lenses. But the price difference is hard to justify. Money is not an issue, but I just hate to pay not $2-3k but $10k extra for a very similar IQ. 

No need to repeat what's been discussed multiple times but since you've asked... Go to B&H and look at the prices. New S007 $18.5k, new 100mm f2 lens is almost $8k.

It can easily be GFX, less than $6k for a new body and $2.5k for a new 110mm f2 lens. Next year the next GFX model hits a market, so the prices for the first generation would drop even further. 

IQ3 gives you a bigger sensor, better DR, better tonality, bigger prints you can have and better customer support.

Not seen anything from the GFX that makes me want to trade in my S system, the IQ3 still needs a body and lenses...

john

Not seen anything from the GFX that makes me want to trade in my S system, the IQ3 still needs a body and lenses...

Exactly. I tried-out a GFX last week. The interface is a hot mess, with innumerable (or at least immemorable) buttons on every surface, save for underneath. The AF has a mind of its own; it randomly picks focus points. It picks an elbow this time, some background detail next time, a collar after that. The EVF is a joke compared to the SL, so manual focus is out of the question for moving subjects.

It is relatively cheap for a medium format digital camera, but it's a lot of money for that particular camera.

• Like 1

nope but i use several IR converted cameras...and the images are simply incredible

a pure monochrome Medium format 80MP S008 would be amazing for detailed landscapes and architecture

I will pass it along. Do you have a M Monochrom? I am interested in what you think can be gained with a monochrome S.

Jesse

Edited by frame-it
  • Like 3

Sure, I completely agree with you. You're a target customer of Leica. I used to have S and I love it, both bodies and lenses. But the price difference is hard to justify. Money is not an issue, but I just hate to pay not $2-3k but $10k extra for a very similar IQ. 

the most expensive thing to do is to switch systems every 3 years. 

• Like 1

And who are you to come here insulting me?

Please, Sandokan - let's face facts. 

The entire reason the internet was developed was so that people could sit at home and insult others from the comfort and safety of their easy chair.  :D

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 2