Vieri

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Scenes from The Racetrack, a 12 minutes exposure taken in Death Valley during one of the Workshops I led there last January. Leica SL, Voigtlander 15mm v. III and Formatt-Hitech Firecrest filters.

SL_02218.jpg

Thanks for viewing, best regards

Vieri

• Like 12

Stunning Vieri. How in the world did you arrive at 12 minutes for the exposure?

Thank you very much Bill, glad you enjoyed it! :) Well, I wanted to make the clouds looking like this, but it was a pretty calm day with very little wind, so I calculated that I needed such a long exposure to get my desired effect... ;)

Best regards,

Vieri

• 3 weeks later...

Scenes from The Racetrack, a 12 minutes exposure taken in Death Valley during one of the Workshops I led there last January. Leica SL, Voigtlander 15mm v. III and Formatt-Hitech Firecrest filters.

SL_02218.jpg

Thanks for viewing, best regards

Vieri

Behind the scenes confession: how long did it take you to push that rock to get just the right composition? Have you ever been cited by the BLM for rearranging the landscape for photographic composition purposes?Inquiring minds want to know what is going on behind the curtain of Oz. How many Starbucks does it take to get the creative engine running before the sun rises? Just kidding, of course, applause, applause! Now, I am getting back on the ventilator, since this Vieri piece takes my breath away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A magnificent photograph, beautifully seen, composed, shot and processed, but I submit that in order to show the full grandeur & majesty of the place, the Racetrack constitutes one of the few classic landscapes that consistently work better in color. To my eyes, no B & W version can ever capture the incredibly subtle, magical shades that exist briefly at day's first light or during 'magic hour' at the end of the day.

Please do not interpret this as criticism of the above image, but I've visited and photographed the 'racetrack' many times and find that color captures the spirit and character of the location more definitively.

JZG

Behind the scenes confession: how long did it take you to push that rock to get just the right composition? Have you ever been cited by the BLM for rearranging the landscape for photographic composition purposes?Inquiring minds want to know what is going on behind the curtain of Oz. How many Starbucks does it take to get the creative engine running before the sun rises? Just kidding, of course, applause, applause! Now, I am getting back on the ventilator, since this Vieri piece takes my breath away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello Ernest,

thank you for your comment, got a good laugh out of it! :D Well, there is no need to rearrange anything, the stones are beautifully set by mother nature herself (not that I would, of course)... and the Starbucks, well, since it is hard to find in the desert and since a good coffee is definitely a must, I bring a car-powered espresso machine with me during my Workshops! ;)

A magnificent photograph, beautifully seen, composed, shot and processed, but I submit that in order to show the full grandeur & majesty of the place, the Racetrack constitutes one of the few classic landscapes that consistently work better in color. To my eyes, no B & W version can ever capture the incredibly subtle, magical shades that exist briefly at day's first light or during 'magic hour' at the end of the day.

Please do not interpret this as criticism of the above image, but I've visited and photographed the 'racetrack' many times and find that color captures the spirit and character of the location more definitively.

JZG

Hello John,

thank you for your comment, I am glad you enjoyed it. About colour vs B/W, I do both and love both equally, for the Racetrack. To me, the light and tones of the playa and sky work fantastically well in colour; at the same time, the graphic power of the lines and cracks, especially when juxtaposed to a cloud set rendered like this one by a long exposure, scream for B/W... So, I don't have a clear favourite, I process according to the mood and feeling that I am after for each image instead.

Best regards,

Vieri