Advertisement (gone after registration)

well...a new lens ?

ライカの最新ファームウェア内に「Summilux-M 1:1.5/90 ASPH.」が記載

11月29日に公開されたライカM(Typ 262)ファームウェアに未発表レンズ「Summilux-M 1:1.5/90 ASPH.」が記載されています。

Firmware 1.0.0.7 M (Typ 262)

• バイナリエディタアドレス:3DEEC3
  • 文字列:Summilux-M 1:1.5/90 ASPH.

"Summilux-M 1: 1.5 / 90 ASPH." Is described in Leica's latest firmware
The unreleased lens "Summilux - M 1: 1.5 / 90 ASPH." Is described in the Leica M (Typ 262) firmware released on November 29.

Firmware 1.0.0.7 M (Typ 262)
         Binary editor address: 3DEEC 3
             String: Summilux - M 1: 1.5 / 90 ASPH.

the JP support site has a different version from the US site

https://jp.leica-camera.com/content/download/132071/1702981/version/4/file/M262_1006.FW

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

This will be the "budget" Noctilux. lol.

I was actually thinking the Noctilux is a difficult decision. I couldn't really justify keeping my 75mm Summilux but it is really unique and I they thought of letting it go isn't so great.

So maybe the 90mm Summilux will be another option, a little cheaper (or maybe not) and sharing much of the look.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My Summarex is SO close... ;)

Yes, and if it follows in the 75/1.25 footsteps - which will likely be the case - the Summarex will not only seem small and unobtrusive (well, except the hood perhaps...), but also light as a feather.

I must say I'm more than puzzled by this quest for marginal speed and optical gains at the expense of usability. And let's not even talk about money.

Oh, boy.  GAS just around the corner.

I managed to fight off the urge to replace my silver 50 Summilux-M ASPH with a black chrome version (like Ian's), I'm struggling to resist the urge to add the 50 Summilux-SL ASPH to my SL lenses (I really like the images I see, but I already have a Noctilux), and I'm telling myself I really don't need a 75 Summilux & Moctilux ...

Thankfully, I don't need a 90 Summilux-M.  If Leica releases a 28 Summilux-SL, my self control just might evaporate altogether ...

For the moment, I need people to keep bagging the 50 Summilux-SL in the hope it will drive the prices down further - it does look very heavy, and the AF is hopelessly slow, and Greg Turner says all the images taken with it are crap.  Surely someone wants to offload this lens before it's price plunges through the floor.  Do you really want to lug around a heavy, expensive piece of glass like this, with crap AF ...  :ph34r:

Edited by IkarusJohn
  • Like 1

Does the fact that Christmas is also around the corner help rationalise what would definitely not be an impulse purchase but rather a well-deserved treat to yourself? :lol:

It just worked for me - and yes, the 50/1.4 E43 black chrome is a beauty...

I just wish Leica could bring (finally) some Summicrons for the SL to the market (with availability for customers) instead of eventing one after the other expensive exotic lenses.

Really - 75/2.0 is allready difficult to focus, so who really needs those 1.x 75 and 90 mm lenses? Maybe for film makers. But please first give us some lenses for the majority of users, Summicrons for the SL, and a IS version of the 55-135 for the TL/CL.

• Like 1

Can't they just reissue the Cron 90 Apo with a FLE for better performance at closer distances? Nah, that would be too boring and they couldn't sell it at $13

I really would like the summicron 90mm asph to focus at 70cm.

• Like 4

Well, I could imagine a few things, e.g. testing whether your precision ruler is still precise.

Yes, that was my first reaction (well, actually it was more like "nose portraits?"), but then I figured there must be something more to it, and that's why asked the (genuinely curious) question.

Out of curiosity, may I ask what intended usage/application you have in mind?

How about photos of stuff at higher magnification with going macro. For many purposes it would eliminate the need for a true macro lens. A 90mm lens that focuses to 0.7m would be hugely useful (a 90mm lens can be used for "non portrait" applications)

Edited by michaelwj

How about photos of stuff at higher magnification with going macro. For many purposes it would eliminate the need for a true macro lens. A 90mm lens that focuses to 0.7m would be hugely useful (a 90mm lens can be used for "non portrait" applications)

Well, the 90mm Elmarit-R I bought in the summer certainly focuses to 0.7m - and can definitely be used for non-portraits. Photos from the roll of Neopan 400 shot one Sunday morning to test the lens.

• Like 1

Out of curiosity, may I ask what intended usage/application you have in mind?

I could make pictures of people sitting next to me... ;)

No, normally I make these " headshots"  with the Nikkor 180/2,8 or the AF 4.0/ 300mm IF ED. It would be nice to take them with a smaller lens with a bokeh which would make me happy. 

• Like 1