M7 and SF40 Compatibility

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have ordered and pre-paid for the new CL and two TL zooms. This is to lighten my travel load from the SL, 24-90 and 90-280, that I have been lugging around. Luckily I failed to sell my 80-200 Vario Elmar R and have bought an R to L adapter to use that with the CL for a long lens (120-300 EFOV). As a travel film camera, I now mainly use my M7 rather than the CL (film) I was using. Even though I have had the CL rebuilt with all the electrical joints re-soldered and am using a regulated PX625 replacer, the light meter is still not very reliable. Other than watching for bright sky bias with wide and extra wide lenses, the metering on my M7 is excellent. As I take all colour reversal film on travel, accurate exposure/metering is important. 

I have also said that once my 90-280SL is sold, I will buy an SF40 flash. Does anyone know for certain, if the SF40 is fully TTL compatible with the M7. My SF58 does do TTL very well with the M7 and also my SF24, albeit not terribly accurately on exposure. The SF-58 is too big to use on the CL digital and unless I use one of the rather clunky Leicagoodies SFiLL diffusors with the SF24, it is extremely harsh. It would be nice to have a smaller flash with tilt, which worked with TTL on the M7

Wilson

Edited by wlaidlaw
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A good question. I have an M7 and am considering a CL.  I have the SF 24D but it's a pretty poor flash on the M7.  If the SF40 is the Leica branded version of the Nissin flash then this should be miles ahead and give the ability to use bounce flash.  I would prefer to have only one flash for both cameras.  Anyone any advice?  Thanks you.

Keith, if you can wait a bit, I have an SF40 on order from Ffordes, once they sell my 90-280SL. I also have an M7 so will be trying it out on that. I basically want the 40 for a better flash than the 24 but smaller than the 58. The 58 is fine on the SL but a bit of a lump on anything else. I did ask Leica Mayfair about SF-40/M7 compatibility but got a Manuel from Barcelona answer: "I know nothing"  :huh:

Wilson

• Like 1