CL - bugs and other issues

Advertisement (gone after registration)

No it is a bug in the adapter probably or firmware

Leica M9 correctly recognizes WATE and displays proper focal length which is visible in Lightroom please see attached screenshot

Not a bug; the SL behaves similarly.

Leica rangefinders (the M-system) get info about the the focal length through mechanical coupling. This coupling is not present on the L-mount bodies, so no info about changes in the focal length. The (fixed) 6-bit marking transfers one focal length, only.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by jev

The camera has no way to know which focal length the lens is set to, so it will either report one focal length (16 mm) or all three focal lengths in EXIF, but never the one the lens was actually set to. - Well, it will be correct 33.3% of the time, obviously. (or 100% when reporting all three ;) )

The M series cameras offer the option to set the lens recognition to the proper focal length manually, which seems to be what you have done judging by your screen shot. I don't know whether the CL has this feature, if not, it is indeed a minor omission.

You may wish to take a look at this brilliant ;) post here: How to remove Self Timer from the Fn functions.

Unfortunately doesn't seem to work for me though... I tried setting Drive Mode to Continuous Low Speed but still could not remove Self Timer.  I can remove everything else though, weird...

I am unfortunately with hteasley on this... worst UI on a camera ever...  I love the 4-button interface on the S/SL, I love the TL-interface, I passionately hate this, this is really bad... 

Unfortunately doesn't seem to work for me though... I tried setting Drive Mode to Continuous Low Speed but still could not remove Self Timer.  I can remove everything else though, weird... [...]

Tried again and it works on my profiles at least. Did you save some profiles on your SD card? Just curious.

[...] I love the 4-button interface on the S/SL, I love the TL-interface, I passionately hate this, this is really bad... 

Really good for me. First time since the M240 i have the feeling of an UI made for me. But i dislike both TL and SL ergonomics. Horses for courses as usual...

Tried again and it works on my profiles at least. Did you save some profiles on your SD card? Just curious.

I just did but it didn't change anything.  There must be something else that is different.

Just in case there is some statistical record.. ;)   I have to say that I found the UI of the CL simple, easy, without bug (up to now !), straight, etc...

Yes, the default profile cann't be changed neither stored, if you want to exclude the self timer from Fn, you have to do it through an Userx profile (it is the reason why when you try to change Fn out of self timer, it says you can't change an active setting). :)

Of course, YMMV.

Happy picts with CL!

• Like 1

Yes, the default profile cann't be changed neither stored, if you want to exclude the self timer from Fn, you have to do it through an Userx profile (it is the reason why when you try to change Fn out of self timer, it says you can't change an active setting). :)

That is exactly what I am doing though... When I turn on the CL I have the User1 profile Active, I change Drive Mode from Single to something else but I am still unable to exclude the Self Timer from FN...

The default profile cannot been saved as a user profile with self timer disabled. This is the bug i was referring to.

I've just had a hour or so setting up multiple configurations and had no problems at all getting things enabled/disabled in any one of half a dozen different combinations ........

Please explain exactly what you are doing and I will see if I can replicate the issue. *** see below

Like other Leica cameras ........ get out of the Default Profile as soon as possible and NEVER go back to it ..... in fact a menu choice to disable it would be handy as it is a menace and of no use whatsoever once you have started to change settings.  

Also .... despite some people moaning about it being the 'worst UI of any camera' ..... once you have deleted all the crap you don't use from the customisations so you only have a couple of choices (or one) and set up profiles for normal everyday snapping, manual lenses, tripod work, low light, bracketing etc. you are actually left with a very simple and intuitive interface. We had the same moans with the SL initially ...... until users found their own configurations that suited their particular needs.

My only ongoing bugbear is that the right wheel should ALWAYS have the most used function ..... ie. Aperture in A mode, Speed in S mode (and possibly a choice in M mode), with EV always on the left. 

...... oh ..... and PLAY is in the wrong place ...... it needs to be under a thumb ..... either top R or bottom L. 

Edited by thighslapper
  • Like 1

My only ongoing bugbear is that the right wheel should ALWAYS have the most used function ..... ie. Aperture in A mode, Speed in S mode (and possibly a choice in M mode), with EV always on the left. 

That is for me personally the main one.  I shoot M mode.  On the T and TL2 the left wheel was Aperture and the right wheel was Shutter Speed, on the CL it is exactly the opposite...  It drives me insane...

• Like 1

Also .... despite some people moaning about it being the 'worst UI of any camera' ..... once you have deleted all the crap you don't use from the customisations so you only have a couple of choices (or one) and set up profiles for normal everyday snapping, manual lenses, tripod work, low light, bracketing etc. you are actually left with a very simple and intuitive interface. We had the same moans with the SL initially ...... until users found their own configurations that suited their particular needs.

It has the same effect on me as an MS-DOS prompt... Can you set it up so that it works for you?  Obviously but in the year 2018 I do expect something better from Leica on a $3K camera.  I appreciate that your opinion is different.

I personally also did not have the same moans with the SL as I was used to it from the S.  Consistency can be a nice thing sometimes...

After a lot of fiddling I have found errant behaviour regarding the self timer ......

When changing from one profile to another all parameters should change if previous Leica firmware is anything to go by ....

However if Self Timer is set as 'on' - say 2 secs in one profile or selected within that profile it stays 'on' at 2 secs when another profile is chosen. Everything else ..... even including customised choices on the Favourites, FN and R Button change as expected. 

Also if selected as 'on' in a profile and saved it doesn't ........ which is the similar to what LCT pointed out, but in reverse.  

I presume .... as already pointed out, there is a bug with this function where its status is not saved in the same manner that other parameters are ......

How come I have no problem?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

That is for me personally the main one.  I shoot M mode.  On the T and TL2 the left wheel was Aperture and the right wheel was Shutter Speed, on the CL it is exactly the opposite...  It drives me insane...

Happy never to had a T/TL then :lol:

Happy never to had a T/TL then :lol:

Interestingly enough the user manual (page 47) does say Shutter Speed for the right wheel and Aperture for the left wheel when in M mode... but that is not the way it works...