CL - bugs and other issues

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have a question about CL menu settings. I am using the Elmarit 18mm lens.

Many menu items are greyed out:

Exposure Metering

ISO (set on Auto)

Auto ISO Settings

White Balance

Film Style (set on STD)

Optical Image Stabilization

Electronic Shutter

Lens Profiles. The lens profile is automatically set to the 18mm.

Every other menu item is working fine, as far as I can tell. 

Any suggestions?

Dunno if it is a bug but contrary to my M240 which reads it easily as a 16/4 lens, the Tri-Elmar 16-18-21/4 coding (010000) is not recognized by my CL with Leica M-L adapter when it is applied by hand to the CV Heliar 15/4.5 v2.

Edited by lct

Dunno if it is a bug but contrary to my M240 which reads it easily as a 16/4 lens, the Tri-Elmar 16-18-21/4 coding (010000) is not recognized by my CL with Leica M-L adapter when it is applied by hand to the CV Heliar 15/4.5 v2.

That is not a great code anyway for the 15mm CV Super Heliar, as the Tri Elmar is a retro focal lens, which does not require so much correction, as its theoretical exit pupil is quite far forward in the lens body. After a lot of trial and error I found the two best codes for the CV15 were the pre-ASPH 21mm Elmarit-M or the 28mm ASPH Summicron-M. The second worked better with the M8 and M9 but the first with the later sensors of the M240 and SL601. I have found the M to T adapter extremely fussy on picking up hand coded adapters, when using various LTM lenses on my SL - a real pain in the proverbial. It is also very fussy on which adapters it will work with and not give the "no lens mounted" message. The only LTM adapters where I have been able to get it to work consistently are Rayqual, which in a perfect example of Murphy's law are the most expensive. 

Wilson

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well i have no experience with the CV 15/4.5 v2 on full frame bodies but there are no color shift issues on the CL in my admittedly very short experience so the WATE profile works fine for me so far. I just wanted the lens to be recognized as such, which is possible on the M240 and not on the CL, i don't know why. 

Hope this has not been discussed already but i can't seem to display the name of lenses in use in play mode through the info ("center") button. Is there a way to do it otherwise than chimping in the menus? 

I too failed to find this, when I had a ROM R lens mounted and had to go into the menu to check if it had been recognised (the ROM connection had been playing up a bit and I had cleaned the contacts on the lens). 

Wilson

• Like 1

I often get the behavior that once it switches from the rear screen to the EVF, it won't switch back. Anyone else get this? Have I misconfigured something?

Could be a know problem with the enclosure of the eye-sensor at the EVF. Some first CL models have a "closed" eye-sensor-enclosure. This collects dirt (fluffs from your jacket for example, its hardly to see) like hell and then blocks the sensor, so the EVF stays on. Could you provide a picture of your CLs EVF?

Could be a know problem with the enclosure of the eye-sensor at the EVF. Some first CL models have a "closed" eye-sensor-enclosure. This collects dirt (fluffs from your jacket for example, its hardly to see) like hell and then blocks the sensor, so the EVF stays on. Could you provide a picture of your CLs EVF?

I replied as a message to this, and thanks for your reply. I have the open eye cup (the "fixed" one), and I've cleaned it, and it still doesn't work well.

Just now I was trying it, with a Rocket Blower in one hand, blowing the eye cup out frequently. It helped maybe a little: mine wasn't visibly dirty to begin with, but using the blower vigorously made the camera switch once or twice. I noticed that it switched more readily if I turned the camera upside down so that the ceiling light could shine into the eye cup, but even that didn't work every time. It also seems to switch to EVF when the camera is pointed at something dark, with nothing anywhere near the viewfinder.

I think this sensor is defective, or the software they're using to decide on when to make the switch is in need of improvement.

Edited by hteasley

I have found it almost too sensitive. It changes to the EVF switching off the back screen, if you even have a finger or the strap near the eye-cup. I suspect like the OP, a faulty sensor. 

Wilson

It appears to work purely on proximity and is set at about 5cm, almost irrespective of illumination or the size of the object in front of it (down to about pinky sized anyway).

I'm not sure how you expect it to work and that seems fine to me. I'd be more annoyed if it failed to activate. 

The eyepiece does get a bit smeary from grease off your eyelashes, but that is unavoidable with such a shallow rubber surround ..... if bigger no doubt there would be complaints about the size  :rolleyes:

As with all design for humans as users it is compromise, compromise, compromise ...... as you will never please everyone. 

It appears to work purely on proximity and is set at about 5cm, almost irrespective of illumination or the size of the object in front of it (down to about pinky sized anyway).

I'm not sure how you expect it to work and that seems fine to me. I'd be more annoyed if it failed to activate. 

The eyepiece does get a bit smeary from grease off your eyelashes, but that is unavoidable with such a shallow rubber surround ..... if bigger no doubt there would be complaints about the size  :rolleyes:

As with all design for humans as users it is compromise, compromise, compromise ...... as you will never please everyone. 

I find the problem comes when I am holding the camera in my left hand and poking a menu screen with a finger from my right. If you don't hold it quite right and I struggle a bit because of very damaged and arthritic hands, the menu keeps disappearing, as it has changed to the EVF. 

Wilson

You misunderstand. Mine does not behave that way. I do think mine is faulty. I can wave the camera around at arm's length, with nothing ever near the viewfinder, and have it change on a random basis (but mostly it just doesn't change, it sits in the EVF).

Edited by hteasley

Wonder if anyone has this happen. When I switch scene mode to snow some of the setting are greyed out, for instance AF, exposure metering and film style. Also when I switch back scene mode to Auto those items are still greyed out. Only way I could fix it was to reset camera.